Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCW warning

Old 06-30-2018, 02:46 PM
ATLCadillac
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CCWs are still nice looking wheels. Hopefully OP's situation gets resolved.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:55 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,861 Likes on 1,079 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
That was the nature of the business, as John ran it. For those that remember, his user name here, at CF, was "racewheel", as a good chunk of his business was with cars that were being used in competition, where repairability and quick service turnaround is critical, for the survival of the business.

I could be way off base, but I'm thinking that Weld is taking CCW into the direction of a "boutique" street wheel.
CCW wheel prices have increased around 20% across the board, since Weld bought them.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by USAZR1
CCW wheel prices have increased around 20% across the board, since Weld bought them.
They probably looked at the prices that some of the other custom wheel business are charging, and figured "If they can get THAT much, why shouldn't we". They forgot that the "roots" of CCW's business was in the competition world, where high quality, moderate cost, and excellent service rules the day. Sadly, I can see Weld running the CCW brand into the ground....
Old 08-07-2018, 02:45 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

This is really unfortunate about ccw
when i was in my late teens and early 20s i dreamed of having some FIKSE wheels on my 99 camaro ss. never made it to having a set
then got into the vette scene and scored a set of used sp500s from another member and was super excited to get them on the car (c5z) EVERYWHERE i went i got complimented about how clean the wheels were and how great the offset was and they just looked PERFECT on the car.
i since have a c6z, and i am back in the boat to where i cant even justify the prices for the wheels nowa days.....its just out of control. I wish CCW could have let CF know about the selling, i bet we could have all bought into it and absorbed everything just to have the CCW name, customer service stay the same.
but lets face it, these guys arent out here selling wheels to make friends, its to make money!!!

calling weld is like calling into auto zone asking about opti spark for a lt1 car LOL just dont even have the patience for it
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

^That's why I waited to find a used set of FM5s
Old 08-07-2018, 03:23 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
^That's why I waited to find a used set of FM5s

YES those were/are still amazing simple wheels, easy to clean etc etc

id even entertain ANY FIKSE wheel in c6z fitment LOL (in my dreams i know LOL)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:46 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
This is really unfortunate about CCW
when i was in my late teens and early 20s i dreamed of having some FIKSE wheels on my 99 camaro ss. never made it to having a set
then got into the vette scene and scored a set of used sp500s from another member and was super excited to get them on the car (c5z) EVERYWHERE i went i got complimented about how clean the wheels were and how great the offset was and they just looked PERFECT on the car.
i since have a c6z, and i am back in the boat to where i cant even justify the prices for the wheels nowa days.....its just out of control.
I understand what you're saying, 100%!!

Back in late 1993, after GM had introduced the 4th gen Camaros and Firebirds, and at the time, to drum up interest, they were sending the magazines a souped-up, Lingenfelter built, Firebird Formula. Along with the usual underhood additions, Lingenfelter put a set of the Fikse FM5 wheels on it, to dress it up. They simply blew me away. A year and a half later, when I bought my '96 Z/28, I couldn't wait to get rid of the ugly-***, OE, "salad shooter" wheels. I had the car maybe two weeks, and I was on the phone to Fikse….and got the shock of my life. Long story short, they wanted something like $2600 for a set of wheels. That was about 11% of what I paid for the entire car!!

At the time, I wasn't too familiar with CCW, but I remembered seeing one of their ads in 'Corvette Fever' magazine, when I was looking up some information to help with a repair I was making on my wife's '79 Corvette. CCW still was working with their 1st generation, cast aluminum center, 3 pc. wheels. One of the styles they had, looked like the BBS "crosslace" wheels, and while some people say they look, "So 1980s", I liked them. I called CCW, discussed what I wanted, and placed an order. It was something like $18-1900. I ordered them immediately.

Later on, when I bought my C-5, I ordered a set of the CCW Classics for it. Sadly, because I was running run-flat tires, and the TPMS sensors, I wound up taking the wheels off the car. At that time, they were trying to get by with the pressure sensor epoxied in place, in the "drop" of the wheel. It just wouldn't work, and I regretfully sold the wheels.....but without question, CCWs were the best "bang for the buck" wheel out there. (I think that later on, CCW was able to source a different wheel shell, which could accommodate the pressure sensor)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CCW warning