Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo R888R on street - what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Toyo R888R on street - what to expect?

C6Z 495rwhp on 10mos old MPSS. Tires were perfect when stock, but post-mods 1st gear is spin city, 2nd also has significant spin, doesn't really hook until 3rd.

I'm considering switching to R888R's in just the rear. I'm expecting significant better straight line traction to rule the stoplights... sound reasonable? I don't launch hard and am generally nice to my drivetrain, but want to be able to use 1st gear more. I feel like this may be 'safer' too.

I've been scouring threads about people switching to 'sticky' tires and sometimes complaining about lesser SOTP feel. I know it won't spin and get deliciously sideways as much on the Toyo's, but do I have enough rwhp to take advantage of such a tire? Weight appears only +1lb per tire, and diameter is identical, so I definitely don't expect to be slower here. I am planning on a cam/intake later for another ~60hp or so, at which point I guess this will be an easier decision.

Any feedback from anyone in the stock-to-500rwhp range who made the switch? Feel like a different car?

Last edited by LS1Steve; 05-31-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:39 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

They are treadwear rated at 100.
They are pretty "grippy" in the warm and dry.
I use them for autocross, and they do hold very well.
Of course, RE71 and RivalS are far more "grippy" for autocross.

On the street, they will stick pretty good, but with my car (C7Z), I certainly can spin them (actually I can pretty much spin anything).

You should certainly be able to spin them with a hard launch, but judicious application
of the "go" pedal, and you should get going pretty good.

In the wet, if it is raining and wet, DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT or Less.
They will hydroplane.
If it is merely damp, they are still pretty good.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Wet performance wouldn't be an issue, since my car is not a daily and doesn't come out if there is any slight chance of rain. It's actually never been driven in rain lol.

Sounds like all pro's and no cons! I'll have to place an order!

I don't think many people appreciate the importance of tires/traction, especially among the quintessential street-driven muscle cars. So many GT's, SRT's, AMG's, M's out there that think they are fast on their OEM tires and will be shocked at what happens when they race a car with some proper rubber, let alone a C6Z

Last edited by LS1Steve; 06-01-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
Wet performance wouldn't be an issue, since my car is not a daily and doesn't come out if there is any slight chance of rain. It's actually never been driven in rain lol.

Sounds like all pro's and no cons! I'll have to place an order!

I don't think many people appreciate the importance of tires/traction, especially among the quintessential street-driven muscle cars. So many GT's, SRT's, AMG's, M's out there that think they are fast on their OEM tires and will be shocked at what happens when they race a car with some proper rubber, let alone a C6Z
I have a set R888 now, mostly track duty but some street. I expect R888R will be similar. They will be loud, ( mine howl like UPS truck on asphalt,) will pick up lots of gravel etc in town. Be prepared for the tinkling sound of gravel in your fender wells.

Last edited by speedwaywhite; 06-04-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-17-2018, 04:25 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I went from street Michelins on my 03Z to Toyo R888R recently and now I can somewhat use 2nd gear without tailwhipping around. I’ve always used 100 rated or near on the streets, from 555r, NT05r, BFGs and now these. I commute about 3.5 miles to work so the wear is great from me and I have several cars so my thread goes a while before swaps. The tires are pretty sticky, they did have a slight hum initially but the exhaust drowns it out and now I think it’s gone away (1k miles on them) or I’ve gotten used to it. I have the latest pattern on the car but did prefer the old V threaded design, too bad they discontinued it. Here is a pic, not the best but you get the idea

Old 06-27-2018, 01:51 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Wish I could buy a set. The 325 rears are backordered from Toyo until August I'm considering NT-01 now instead just based on availability.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo R888R on street - what to expect?

Quick Reply: Toyo R888R on street - what to expect?