Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace single tire or pair (per axle)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 PM
aroundtuit
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace single tire or pair (per axle)

C7 Z06, original Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires with 14K miles. One rear tire is damaged. Owners Manual (page 270) has a generic statement on replacing a tires (see attachment). Rotation? NOT on a Corvette!! What's the real story/recommendation?
Attached Files
Old 10-24-2018, 09:49 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I KNOW THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...….

Unless the tires have less than a few hundred miles, it's essential to replace tires on the same axle in pairs, ESPECIALLY on a car with a limited slip rear axle!! If you don't the difference in overall diameters will burn up the clutches in the posi unit, as it will act as if the car is constantly turning a corner, and the clutches will be slipping....CONSTANTLY.

My personal experience was that I had one rear tire get damaged by debris, on my '01 coupe. At the time, the car had about 2500 miles on it, and GY runflats are rather pricey, so I replaced only the bad one. After a couple thousand miles of driving, apparently the OE tires were wearing at a quicker rate than the replacement tire, and this difference became apparent one day when I pulled into the parking lot at work. I smelled hot gear oil, emanating from my car. Having previously heard of this situation, I replaced all the tires, and sure enough, the gear oil smell went away.

I also remember reading a note in an old issue of 'Car Craft' magazine, where they had a Mustang on loan from Ford, and had a rear tire go bad. They simply threw on the "donut spare" and off they went. They drove it that way for a couple of days, as that particular size tire was hard to find. In that time, they burned up the limited slip clutch pack.

I could also see where different sized tires on the front, could mess with the ABS or active handling....
Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM
aroundtuit
Heel & Toe

My point exactly. My issue is finding documentation to that affect so my insurance company will cover it.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:48 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by aroundtuit
My point exactly. My issue is finding documentation to that affect so my insurance company will cover it.
OK, I'm a little lost, here. What does your insurance company have to do with this situation?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 AM
aroundtuit
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
OK, I'm a little lost, here. What does your insurance company have to do with this situation?
I hit a parking curb (%#$!). Along with a couple other things, the wheel and tire were damaged. Filed a claim with my insurance to get it repaired. I'm trying to get them to cover both tires, not just the damaged one.

BTW, just got a response on replacing a single tire from The Corvette Mechanic, Paul Koerner, on Facebook:
"Due to the electronic limited slip differential in your vehicle, I do not recommend that course of action … (replacing one tire)... The cut off I use is the new tire and the old tire must be between 2/32 of each other in tread depth"

Get notified of new replies

To Replace single tire or pair (per axle)

Quick Reply: Replace single tire or pair (per axle)