Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 PM
GeoGS
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Questions about rims

Hi, First post. New Grand Sport owner. Had the whole car wrapped before I put any miles on it.. Now I have some questions about the rims. When using any Ceramic type coatings on the rims. Does this cause a problem for the weights to the rim when it comes time to change the tires ? They all seem to claim that this stuff never goes away. Although they say you have to have it done every 2 years or so. So does it weaken the bond to weights on the rim ? Will be changing out the pads and the tires. Want to be able not to worry about the rain and cold.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoGS
Hi, First post. New Grand Sport owner. Had the whole car wrapped before I put any miles on it.. Now I have some questions about the rims. When using any Ceramic type coatings on the rims. Does this cause a problem for the weights to the rim when it comes time to change the tires ? They all seem to claim that this stuff never goes away. Although they say you have to have it done every 2 years or so. So does it weaken the bond to weights on the rim ? Will be changing out the pads and the tires. Want to be able not to worry about the rain and cold.
I would call the manufacturer of the ceramic coating you select, I would think they have the answer, they probably have done their own testing since most cars now days have stick on weights.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 11-11-2018 at 01:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GeoGS (03-28-2019)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:10 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

I think you can have a problem with weights sticking to wheels that have just been ceramic coated (this happened to me with HRE wheels and using IGLs ceramic wheel coating)

My only suggestion is to have the tires mounted and the wheels balanced before applying any coating.

Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
GeoGS (12-01-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Velgen Wheels
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a possibility the weights won't stick as good. Id suggest having the tire shop heat up the double side tape on the weights for a better bond.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about rims

Quick Reply: Questions about rims