Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New R888Rs exposed to freezing temps, ruined forever?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 AM
LSFanNY
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brand New R888Rs exposed to freezing temps, ruined forever?

Not sure my first thread was created, trying this again.

Just bought an amazing car, a mint 2004 C5 Z06 with a built LS2 based 402ci stroker, and can't wait to drive the thing. As luck would have it, as soon as the car arrived, temps started to dip, as low as single digits yesterday.

Car sits in a carport that's open in the back, parked on padded mats with wheel/tire covers on all four corners. Problem is, it came with brand new R888Rs, and I know better than to drive an R compound tire in the cold. My worry is, will even having the car sitting there ruin the tires? I have no other place to store it, but I'd hate to hear this compound is now permanently shot after one freezing day. Temps are coming back up to the mid-30s, but it's too late to avoid that quick freeze that just occurred.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Alexander
Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I would contact the tire manufacturer & explain the issue to their engineering staff to get the information you want.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 01-24-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 AM
LSFanNY
Instructor

I'll give it a shot, just wasn't sure if any fellow northeast drivers had any insight. My concern is the manufacturer will always adopt a severely cautious stance owing to litigation concerns.versus real world experience.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:05 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

That is a good point, I recall when the C7 Z06 came out & there were issues with the Sport Cup tires in cold weather when cars were being delivered to dealers, & then again how many C7's with those tires are sitting on dealers lots waiting to be sold that are in cold climate zones.

This is from Toyo Warranty
COMPETITION TIRE STORAGE The rubber compounds used in these tires have unique properties that, when compared to other tires, can cause them to lose some of their flexibility when used or handled in conditions below 15°F(-9°C). This loss in flexibility can lead to potential cracking and other damage to the tire. To minimize the chances of this happening, you are advised to follow these instructions:1.Do not move or operate the car with these tires in conditions below 15°F (-9°C).2.Avoid moving these tires in conditions below 15°F (-9°C).3.Before mounting and dismounting, store these tires for at least 24 hours in a temperature-controlled environment of68°F (20°C) or warmer.4.Remove these tires from the vehicle and deflate to half the normal air-pressure during prolonged periods of non-use or storage.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 01-25-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:25 PM
LSFanNY
Instructor

Alright, so the concern seems to be with driving them under 20 degrees, not simply letting the car sit under 20 degrees, if I'm reading that all correctly. No real way to do otherwise this season, just a shame if prefectly good, brand new tires were ruined upon delivery.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:45 PM
LSFanNY
Instructor

Alright, so that seems to indicate the real concern is DRIVING on these tires at freezing temps, not just storing the car on them. Not much I can do this season, just wanted to be sure a set of brand new top tier tires wasn't now ruined the moment I got the car.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure if this helps or not but this is what Michelin has said about it.

Michelin Ultra-High Performance (UHP) Sport Summer tires use tread compounds that are optimized for maximum dry and damp grip in temperate conditions. As the temperature of the compound nears freezing, the grip level of the tire begins to degrade. Michelin does not recommend using UHP Sport Summer tires when tire temperatures drop below 40°F (5°C) or on snow and ice.

At tire temperatures below 20°F (-7°C) Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop MICHELIN UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F (-7°C). If the tires have been cooled to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use. Never use a tire with freeze cracks, breaks, or damage to the sidewall or tread.
The following users liked this post:
Joey D (02-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Brand New R888Rs exposed to freezing temps, ruined forever?

Quick Reply: Brand New R888Rs exposed to freezing temps, ruined forever?