Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem stuck and kept leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:57 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Valve stem stuck and kept leaking

Well I was trying to add air to the tire with those tire inflatorI got from lowes. When I took it off it kept leaking air and won't stop, it will stop when I put the valve stem cap on but I don't think that will solve the problem. Poked a few times at valve stem core but it's still stuck and won't come out.

So do I just buy a new valve stem core and replace it? and it should work? or do I need to have tire shop take a look at it? It's actually a brand new GM OEM TPS with valve stem.

If only the valve stem core needs to be replaced, when I am replacing it do I need to take the tire off the caror leave it? (It will keep leaking air as mentioned earlier) After I unscrew the core will air come rushing out or? Need to take the tire off the car I guess?

Will any valve stem core work or should I get better ones? Did a quick search and will those do
https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair...kit/426128_0_0

or
https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair...ool/487510_0_0
https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair...ore/487509_0_0
https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair...ore/576774_0_0

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by okaythen; 03-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok I used a nail and got the core up, pushed it back down back and forth a few times and it got stuck once, seems to be working fine but when it's near the bottom (fully depressed) it's kind of scratchy. Didn't get stuck again and I tried it with gauge, tire inflator, nail. The small rectangle thing around the core got some damage from the pliers, I used it to poke it earlier. but doesn't seem too bad.

This valve stem seems to be shorter, so when I used tire inflator before I pushed it down too much, and then locked it and that probably pushed it all the way in, other original 4 valve stem are longer and never had any problem, so I just push it down a little and lock it and turn on the tire inflator.

So it seems to be working ok, use some WD40 inside? This is a tire that I am going to the drag strip with actually, do you guys think it will be fine? It does have TPMS. Will it leak even if not depressed? If it leaks it should leak slowly like before right? Won't just come rushing out? thanks for your help

Last edited by okaythen; 03-13-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

My $0.02 worth....

Purchase 4 new cores, 4 new METAL valve stem caps, the valve core tool that you attached the image of, and get yourself 1 long regular, rubber valve stem. Take the valve core tool, and knock that "cross piece" out of it (it's used to chase the threads of the valve stem), so you don't scratch your wheels with it, when using the tool. Then screw the long rubber valve stem into the leg of the tool, that has the female threads. This gives you a "handle" for the core tool, which makes it easier to use. Then replace all of your cores, and inflate the tires to the appropriate pressure. Here's where I'll put out a disclaimer...I STRONGLY suggest that you PROPERLY make the necessary repairs, such that your valve stems hold air pressure, and I do NOT recommend the following. But if you're insistent on doing a "patch job" so you can drive the car, get valve stem caps that are metal, as well as have the little O-rings in them, as they're better at sealing.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve stem stuck and kept leaking

Quick Reply: Valve stem stuck and kept leaking