Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated with the lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 08:31 PM
izzyshuman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated with the lug nuts

Guys
I purchased a 22' C8 Black Beauty Z5, love the car!!!
Ive had it for about a month and purchased grill guards to protect my radiators.
I thought I would remove the front wheels to allow more room to install grills. (which really wasn't necessary)
Well i don't know if all models use the splined lug nuts, but i put my pnuematic on the nuts and it did not
budge them. The key nut came off easily but when i used the breaker bar on the other one the first twisted off
at the base were it captures the nut.
Has anybody experienced this and suggestions on how to remove the nut (there is no socket that fits over the nut at this stage)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,999 Likes on 5,367 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyshuman
Guys
I purchased a 22' C8 Black Beauty Z5, love the car!!!
Ive had it for about a month and purchased grill guards to protect my radiators.
I thought I would remove the front wheels to allow more room to install grills. (which really wasn't necessary)
Well i don't know if all models use the splined lug nuts, but i put my pnuematic on the nuts and it did not
budge them. The key nut came off easily but when i used the breaker bar on the other one the first twisted off
at the base were it captures the nut.
Has anybody experienced this and suggestions on how to remove the nut (there is no socket that fits over the nut at this stage)
Usually that is handled by purchasing a cheap socket in a slightly smaller size and then hammering it on the nut followed by using the longest breaker bar you can find to break it loose. If you aren't removing and reinstalling the lug nuts regularly they can become frozen to the point they are almost impossible to get off. The C4s came with lug nuts that had plastic covers that screwed on over the top of the lug nuts. Once the plastic covers were removed you had a rough-looking tough lug nut that could take all sorts of abuse and last a very long time.

Bill

Quick Reply: Frustrated with the lug nuts