C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone has their rockers hit the sides of their valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 12:21 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by JC 1975
Yep, I was looking at buying this type of valve cover, but I’m glad you pointed out the alternator. Didn’t think about that. 🫤
They're rebranded under a gazillion names. They were only $78 back when I bought mine and called "Top Street Performance" or A-Team Performance". This version is anodized so you shouldn't have to deal with oxidation and having to polish them to keep them looking shiny, either. (The anodizing does "mute" the shininess a bit and make it kind of "hazy", though.)

I see them on Amazon now for $99 and if you get them there, you can always return them for free if they don't fit, given that they're a Prime item.
They clear my 7/16" rocker studs, comp ultra pro magnum 1.6 rockers, and my CS144 alternator fits. (Not clear yet on whether the hood clearance is acceptable, but I'm hopeful.)
I do use a extra thick valve cover gasket and heads with a raised valve cover rail, though. (The valve covers just BARELY come off and on. Any taller would be more problematic.)

Amazon Amazon

Adam

Old 01-11-2023, 12:33 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

I only went with Howard’s because they can hold 800lbs of spring pressure but are lighter than steel. But now I have clearance issues. My valve springs are not even half of this spring pressure so I thought they should last for a while.
I'm not sure how much standardization and science go into those rocker max spring pressure ratings...
ALMOST all SBC rockers have much higher max open pressure ratings than a hyd roller tappet could deal with. There's only a few that have low open pressure ratings: Crane die-cast Energeizer rockers: 450 lbs; Comp Cams Hi Energy die-case 350 lbs; Comp Cams Red and Ultra Gold 400 lbs. Proform claims their 306 aluminum HD rockers can support 700 lbs of open pressure, so color me skeptical...

There's a FANTASTIC comparison chart of SBC 1.6 ratio roller rockers in this article in the table if you expand it out. The prices are way out of date, but otherwise still a pretty good chart.https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hr...r-arm-comparo/

I turned the table from the article into an XLS and the XLS into an image here
On a related slightly musical note: I like big (rocker) trunions, and I cannot lie!

You can see from the chart why so many people with serious solid roller cams who want to run stud-based rockers and have good longevity pay for the Crower Stainless rockers; statistically they are in a category of their own (except the width of the tip's roller wheel, which is maybe some kind of moment-of-inertia enhancement?).

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 01-11-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
66c10
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrods

Sooo, started my new engine up for the second time today and heard weird clicking sound. Turns out my Howard’s aluminum roller rockers are hitting the sides of valve covers. Always thought height was the issue not the width… If you look at the valve cover over the #2 cylinder, you’ll see wall is slightly distorted. Whelp, my 383 is going to get some wide valve covers now…

I call this 383 project cheep skate.

eBay aluminum heads - $650 complete - bought bare and assembled heads myself.
Eagle 383 stroker kit $765 - Bought before COVID mark-up
350 Vortec 880 block - free (did some horse trading)
Melling roller cam $175
Accel billet aluminum distributor $48 - (Holley scratch and dent - but didn’t have either)

Here’s a sneak peak. Still needs work, such as distributor cap, electric fuel pump hook up and connect trans linkage.
get some wider valve covers asap. Be sure to check your pushrods.. had the same thing happen and with in minutes I bent one. Needless to say the c10 has been sitting for a couple weeks
Old 05-18-2024, 09:25 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 890 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by 66c10
get some wider valve covers asap. Be sure to check your pushrods.. had the same thing happen and with in minutes I bent one. Needless to say the c10 has been sitting for a couple weeks
He has addressed this over a year ago.. this is an old thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by augiedoggy:
HeadsU.P. (05-18-2024), speedreed8 (05-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone has their rockers hit the sides of their valve covers?