C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried this new C8 style tailights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 08:55 AM
JohnBoy316
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 won’t animate?

Originally Posted by westsdad
I have the same lights, on start up I don’t get the animation, I’ve tried unplugging the wires one at a time, tried switching them, to no avail I only get the sequential turn signal, any suggestions for how I get the animation to work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance-John
Old 05-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,099 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoy316
I have the same lights, on start up I don’t get the animation, I’ve tried unplugging the wires one at a time, tried switching them, to no avail I only get the sequential turn signal, any suggestions for how I get the animation to work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance-John
Seemed to do that out-of-the-box for me, so I assume yours are defective. I would email them and tell them and request a replacement set. Don't be surprised if they take a while to respond. Make sure you ask them to supply a label for return shipping on their dime since they are defective.
The following users liked this post:
JohnBoy316 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 04:19 PM
westsdad
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoy316
Thanks in advance-John

The green and black wire need to be disconnected for the startup animation to work.
The yellow and black wire need to be connected for the sequential turn signals to work.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:50 PM
JohnBoy316
4th Gear

Default No animation

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Seemed to do that out-of-the-box for me, so I assume yours are defective. I would email them and tell them and request a replacement set. Don't be surprised if they take a while to respond. Make sure you ask them to supply a label for return shipping on their dime since they are defective.
thanks for the response, I’ve been going back and forth with them, tried everything and nothing seems to work, I’m going for a replacement, appreciate your help and ideas, I’ll get back to you with what transpires, good or bad.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:53 PM
JohnBoy316
4th Gear

Default No luck

The green and black wire need to be disconnected for the startup animation to work.
The yellow and black wire need to be connected for the sequential turn signals to work.
I’ve tried that, doesn’t work, thanks for sharing, these must be defective, I’m going for a replacement set.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:59 PM
Turbo_6
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The OEM lights look much better than those. They look kind of like the Camaro lights. Definitely a step down from the OEM Z06 lights.
Omniprime (05-24-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 07:58 AM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 532 Likes on 372 Posts

Old 05-21-2024, 07:37 AM
wangerin
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, checking in to see how the tail lights are holding up? Any issues or thoughts after having them for a while?
Flame Red (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 10:11 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 116 Likes on 41 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by info@umnitza.com
We can do these lights for $375 shipped if we get about 30 people interested in doing it.
Were you able to set up a group purchase? I would be interested in the smoked version.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:56 AM
wangerin
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be in for a set of smoked red tails.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:11 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,099 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by wangerin
Hi, checking in to see how the tail lights are holding up? Any issues or thoughts after having them for a while?
I installed mine in March, so two months is not much of a track record, but all good so far. Only thing is that the car has not seen any rain since installed as we are in the dry season currently. Only regret is I wish I would have been able to take advantage of the group buy!
05XLRtoC7_San Diego (05-23-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 06:48 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 349 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnZR-1
Were you able to set up a group purchase? I would be interested in the smoked version.
Originally Posted by wangerin
I would be in for a set of smoked red tails.
Should I start another thread for this? tag you@wangerin @shawnzr1 ?
05XLRtoC7_San Diego (05-23-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:09 PM
westsdad
Racer

Yes, a lot more appropriate than hijacking this thread.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:38 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 116 Likes on 41 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Yep, that would be a good idea. Let's see if we can get it off the ground.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:45 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 349 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnZR-1
Yep, that would be a good idea. Let's see if we can get it off the ground.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607834662
Old 06-02-2024, 06:18 PM
ICONIC7
Pro

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

@JohnBoy316 did you ever get a replacement set of taillights? I'm having the same issue with no startup animation. I have the sequential turn signals though. I even tried what @westsdad recommended.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:10 AM
westsdad
Racer

Are you powering down your C7, changing your "jumper" and then powering back up? Also, are the pin or socket recessed or not connected fully?

This is essentially a configuration jumper (like on a computer mother board) that the microprocessor only looks at during power on so any changes are not seen until the next power off / power on cycle.

IIRC, if configured for, they will perform a startup animation when unlocking with the keyfob.

Also, both sets that I received were configured for startup animation. I bench tested both sets prior to installing them.

Otherwise, there could be a manufacturing defect. I'm just an end user.

Last edited by westsdad; 06-03-2024 at 12:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone tried this new C8 style tailights?

Old 06-03-2024, 05:18 AM
ICONIC7
Pro

Are you powering down your C7, changing your "jumper" and then powering back up? Also, are the pin or socket recessed or not connected fully?

This is essentially a configuration jumper (like on a computer mother board) that the microprocessor only looks at during power on so any changes are not seen until the next power off / power on cycle.

IIRC, if configured for, they will perform a startup animation when unlocking with the keyfob.

Also, both sets that I received were configured for startup animation. I bench tested both sets prior to installing them.

Otherwise, there could be a manufacturing defect. I'm just an end user.
So I'm staring up the car with the door open and waiting for the animation to happen and nothing happens. I'll turn the car off and leave the door open so I assume that gives it a full power down, correct or no?

Like you stated in an earlier post, the lights came with both of the little connectors already connected, but I have been disconnecting and reconnecting them to try other configurations. FWIW, you're instructions above stated that the green/black connector has to be disconnected in order for the startup animation to work, which is opposite of what the directions say but I tried it anyway to no avail. Also, I was only trying one light at a time. Do you think I would need to try both lights? I wouldn't think that would have made a difference.

I'll try to take a picture tonight of the connectors but if you can remember they are just little "push pin" style connectors. They do have tiny grey "pins" attached to the connectors that can be pushed down or pulled up also. Not sure if I need to do something with those or not.

I have tried just unlocking the car without starting it and still no animation. How exactly did you bench test it? What did you hook it up to and what tools would I need?

I really appreciate your help with this!
Old 06-03-2024, 12:30 PM
westsdad
Racer

Originally Posted by ICONIC7
So I'm staring up the car with the door open and waiting for the animation to happen and nothing happens. I'll turn the car off and leave the door open so I assume that gives it a full power down, correct or no?

Like you stated in an earlier post, the lights came with both of the little connectors already connected, but I have been disconnecting and reconnecting them to try other configurations. FWIW, you're instructions above stated that the green/black connector has to be disconnected in order for the startup animation to work, which is opposite of what the directions say but I tried it anyway to no avail. Also, I was only trying one light at a time. Do you think I would need to try both lights? I wouldn't think that would have made a difference.

I'll try to take a picture tonight of the connectors but if you can remember they are just little "push pin" style connectors. They do have tiny grey "pins" attached to the connectors that can be pushed down or pulled up also. Not sure if I need to do something with those or not.

I have tried just unlocking the car without starting it and still no animation. How exactly did you bench test it? What did you hook it up to and what tools would I need?

I really appreciate your help with this!
Follow the new instructions, if you have different instructions that came with your VLAND tail lights and they state to have the green to black wire connected for startup animation to be on. The manufacturer may have changed the firmware and the jumper settings (or it's a typo). Or maybe they eliminated the startup animation?

IIRC, the car systems do not shutdown for a while (10+ minutes?). They may even take longer if the door is left open or if the keyfob is in the vicinity (30+ feet?) of it. It's why most people throw a CEL when installing a throttle controller - disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle pedal harness with car system power on.

Do the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals work on both the left and right VLANDS?

I used a regulated power supply (set at +12 VDC) and insulated wire sockets (I have a couple of sets of them in various sizes) to bench test per the C7 tail light connector pinout.

You should try the startup animation jumper in both configurations after making sure the car systems are off prior to sending them back. Note that the startup animation is brief and you would have to be behind the car to see it (if you have an M7 and have to start the car while in it vs an A8 with the key fob). IIRC, one of my videos above should show it.

Last edited by westsdad; 06-03-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:47 PM
ICONIC7
Pro

Follow the new instructions, if you have different instructions that came with your VLAND tail lights and they state to have the green to black wire connected for startup animation to be on. The manufacturer may have changed the firmware and the jumper settings (or it's a typo). Or maybe they eliminated the startup animation?

IIRC, the car systems do not shutdown for a while (10+ minutes?). They may even take longer if the door is left open or if the keyfob is in the vicinity (30+ feet?) of it. It's why most people throw a CEL when installing a throttle controller - disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle pedal harness with car system power on.

Do the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals work on both the left and right VLANDS?

I used a regulated power supply (set at +12 VDC) and insulated wire sockets (I have a couple of sets of them in various sizes) to bench test per the C7 tail light connector pinout.

You should try the startup animation jumper in both configurations after making sure the car systems are off prior to sending them back. Note that the startup animation is brief and you would have to be behind the car to see it (if you have an M7 and have to start the car while in it vs an A8 with the key fob). IIRC, one of my videos above should show it.
So the instructions they sent look exactly the same as the one you posted above, but they say to have the green/black plugged in for animation, which is the way they came. I've tried keeping them plugged in and unplugging them and it still doesn't work. I'll try letting it power down longer next time.

Yes, the running lights, brake lights, sequential turn signals and reverse lights all work on both lights. The website still shows it comes with the startup animation. My wife stands behind the car and watches. I've showed her your video so she knows what she's looking for.

I sent an email to VLAND Sunday night. Still waiting on a response.

Last edited by ICONIC7; 06-03-2024 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried this new C8 style tailights?