C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Ram Dual Disc & Flywheel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Just one?

The plan for the car is to purchase one of the Marc's 600 or 650 engine packages as soon as I am one year way from the car being exempt from GA ridiculous emissions laws. If I still have the current Ram setup, I will likely get rid of it and purchase something else. I suspect there is a defect in either the pads or the pressure plate or that is just the way it is. Another little thing that was not mentioned in the engine valley drain tube needs to be flattened or the flywheel will rub. I flattened it but not enough. AS everything heated up and pressure was applied to the flywheel, if was enough to rub just enough. Lucky I was able to get a pry bar up in-between the flywheel and block to flatten it a bit more.
Except for the automatic 441, the other big HP/CID motors in the FBI group use a dual disc. You may want to discuss the RAM push type clutch setup w efnfast. His ZR was at Pete's place earlier this year to get his RAM setup properly installed. Think he's using a Centerforce sprung hub disc.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Except for the automatic 441, the other big HP/CID motors in the FBI group use a dual disc. You may want to discuss the RAM push type clutch setup w efnfast. His ZR was at Pete's place earlier this year to get his RAM setup properly installed. Think he's using a Centerforce sprung hub disc.
I believe the disc near the flywheel is unsprung and the outer disc is sprung. Are both his discs sprung?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KJL
I believe the disc near the flywheel is unsprung and the outer disc is sprung. Are both his discs sprung?
Steve doesn't have the dual disc setup. He is using the RAM hydraulic
throwout w the push type pressure plate and Fidanza FW. His CF disc, which is the one I have now installed also, is sprung hub. Pete was able to get it to operate correctly.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 09-18-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Steve doesn't have the dual disc setup. He is using the RAM hydraulic
throwout w the push type pressure plate and Fidanza FW. His CF disc, which is the one I have now installed also, is sprung hub. Pete was able to get it to operate correctly.
Ok, the same as mine but single disc. I have done many single disc clutch jobs over the years and never had an issue with any of them.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KJL
Ok, the same as mine but single disc. I have done many single disc clutch jobs over the years and never had an issue with any of them.
Yeah well Steve's throwout bearing was not installed correctly and it was causing issues.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I got a brief seat in Bob Gs big 421 with the ram dual disk and I wish I could have snagged it

it was an early 10.5 and I think Bob was headed to a 9" which he felt would be ideal

My buddy Phil went to a RAM but was a bit disappointed in the diesel like clatter

I'm used to it but at the same time need to upgrade as drag strip punishment from the old LSV will quickly over whelm the holding power of the factory clutch after some spirited runs and the cool down period is extensive

I'm not really a fan of the fidanza at the digs as it's "out of it's element" and a good ol dual mass or better still heavy single mass will do a better job getting out of the hole

I'm convince though that the fidanza does tend to "limit the carnage" that often result from an aggressive launch on drag radials

I just got a set of skinnies and 16 ccws drag pack and I'm dying to try out some fall air for that hero run

it will have to be on the old fidanza and stocker clutch for now but I see a twin in the LSV future

Quick Reply: Ram Dual Disc & Flywheel Conversion