Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C3 Corvette Is a Perfect First Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 03:42 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Sorry honey He lost it when the rear end stepped out....funeral costs are more than a VOLVO.

LAST Choice for a first Car.... REALLY?

Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 PM
71chimera
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Don't pussyfoot around; get 'em a cheap ten year old Ninja and hasten the grief !
Old 09-18-2020, 05:53 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Quick Poll (or pole in my case).

What happened to your first car?

"wrapped my 68 Camaro around a telephone pole"...... (obviously physics didn't apply to me in my mind!)

How many of us wrecked our first car within WEEKS?

Hal has his hand up!

Old 09-18-2020, 06:51 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Default Amen KEV!

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
A C3 would make a great first Vette, but probably not a good first car.
May not be easy finding a kid that would want a C3 as their first car these days,
as not high tech enough.
1. It doesn't have a Smart screen. You have to move a lever to turn on the heat! WTF?
2. It doesn't have Blue-toofs!
3. No back seat.
4. The seat backs don't even MOVE!
5. Can't see over the hood.
6. Has as 'standard equipment' FENDER VIEW MIRRORS.
7. ABS? Peshaw!
8. Lane change monitors???? what's that?

HORRIBLE first car.

Unk
Old 09-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Young Vette
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I tend to think the C3 is a great first car...for the right people. What people have to realize is that my generation (Gen Z) is one of the most divided generations yet. There are some people who really aren't that bright and probably couldn't handle a C3 (Tide Pod Challenge anyone?). However, on the other side of that divide we have things like SkillsUSA and First Robotics. In First Robotics, we have highschool aged kids designing, prototyping, and operating world-class machines in a competitive setting. I encourage you to check out some of the competitions on YouTube. I do understand that owning a Corvette as a first car takes some dedication (Especially up here in Michigan where you need a different car to handle the 300" of snow per year.), but I can't put a price on the education I've received by actually working on my own vehicle. It's all well and good to listen to lectures in a class (or on Zoom these days), but hands-on experience is invaluable. If you were in either SkillsUSA or First Robotics, I think you would definitely be able to own and maintain your own C3, especially with all the great information on this forum and in the numerous C3 repair books out there. Finally, I think it really depends on your driving personality. I know anecdotal evidence isn't strong, but all the accidents I've seen with kids in my school are either there's five kids in the car and it just gets too distracting (problem solved with a 2 seater), or they rolled a Jeep or an SUV. As long as you keep a C3 stock, there's not too much grunt to get you into trouble anyway. No more than any other car on the road at least. To conclude, I think that a C3 Corvette would be a great first car for the young people who are going to be the mechanics and engineers of tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:30 PM
KillerMiller1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CORVETTE Goals

As a kid, maybe 4 or 5, maybe 6, I had a jacket that said Corvette down the sleeve. It was the first word I ever learned to spell. I did later win the county spelling bee @ 6th grade. But I promised myself I would own one by 18 years old. It was a big reason I joined the Army at 17. I had my eyes on a black 4 speed 76 Stingray. I loved the flat rear glass, those curves. I couldn't afford a chrome bumper car, but this 76 would be perfect! Guy said he would take 4000. This was in 2001. Running and driving.
when I returned home from basic training and AIT, cash in hand, he sold it 2 weeks prior! For 2500! Guy drove it home!
I finally settled for a 79 Vette I bought from a junk yard for 2500. Had a blown head gasket. I rebuilt the engine, and thank God for copper coat head gasket spray. That thing ran boiling hot after I busted the fan shroud trying to rush getting it out. Found out the previous owner had 4.56-ish gears. With a 28" tall tire (275/60/15), in 3rd gear (th350), 2500 rpm was 45 mph. That thing would launch! Bone stock, with a Corvette cam (factory specs), I beat several cars street racing that ran 7.90s at the track. They would come hard at the end, but my car would launch and not even think about spinning! I eventually broke a leaf spring bolt and ear off the chunk, just cruising. So, I installed shakels to keep them all stacked and air shocks to help.
i loved that car. I did. In an effort to help a friend and help myself, I decided to buy a 300 dollar 700r4, for the overdrive. I had broke my flywheel, and it had to come out anyways. Needless to say, the r4s lasted maybe 2 weeks. I read, ordered books, learned about pressures, and swore I would de-mistify how transmissions worked. I bought a kit, tore the 700r4 apart, and got lost. Save my money, had a local trans shop build it, and again it would last about 2 weeks. I went through 12 transmissions in a little over 6 months. Finally, I had it traded for a 69 Pontiac LeMans (GTO Clone). Guy said if I had a good transmission in it, he would trade even! I put my original transmission in that I had given a friend. I even installed it for him, but he never put any fluid in it, and would routinely crank and Rev the truck for everyone to hear his exhaust. Installed it back in my Vette, and it had nothing but park. Went and bought a th350 from a junk yard, it worked! I drove it immediately to trade. I stopped about 2 miles from his house to cool the car off, sprayed the radiator down, keep her cool. Little did I know, hop back in, it's slipping! By cooling it off quickly, I guess it warped the valve body. That was it. At that point, I was a student at Jacksonville State University, doing the Ranger Challenge, and I would have to sleep in my car on Monday and Wednesdays on Campus. I was waiting for the school to release GIBill money, but they kept waiting, wanting me to pass a hearing exam. Loud exhaust didn't help. Had Ranger training from 5-7am, classes from 7-5, then more ranger challenge from 5-7pm. It was too much. I didn't have any help. I had been kicked out of my parents since 14, and I just couldnt hold out. I traded that car for a junky 84 Z-28 Camaro. And guess what? Even behind the Camaro's weak 305, that 700r4 eventually went out as well.
Learning experience? Definitely!!! I did drive fast in it, at 19, but I was a car fanatic since a kid. And I repeated the car. I loved it! I had been legally driving since 14, bought my own motorcycle (83 Honda Rebel 250). So, I wasn't the typical kid. But it definitely wasn't practical. Despite my friends helping to change the transmission 12 times, I lacked an alternative ride. And, I'm sure I'm very fortunate. I took it camping. Several times would have 2 sexy ladies riding in the passenger seat, one in the others lap. Well.
I've own a few since then. I once made a 20k offer for a 64 Corvette that had been parked for 30+ years after its owner killed himself. His dad said he was finally ready to part with it, buy his grandkids a Jeep. I was relieved when he said no, he needed at least 21k for it.
So, I now own my original dream car: 69 Corvette Stingray. And, I have built it exactly how I want it! 6.0 LS, long tube headers, cammed, carb, nitrous plate capable of 600+ HP shot of Nitrous. Dart Heads. And guess what transmission it has? Damn sure ain't no 700-r4!!! Haha. It's a 4L85e, 4000 stall with triple disc lockup, L-88 hood. I'm a 100% disabled Combat Vet, at 38 years old, and decided to build it exactly how I want it. I still have to work on it. Currently, flywheel bolts shook loose after hitting the Rev limiter. Ugh.
Is it practical as a first car? No. But I learned alot. I'm still here. But I might've finished college alot earlier if I hadnt of been a gear head. But I am just fine now.
My actual first car was a 69 Pontiac LeMans. Dad talked me into trading it for a stinking Fiero. That's a whole different can of worms.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:28 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

old thread. made no sense then. makes no sense now. 10 year old accord. durable, cheap and invisible to cops. and front sheet metal is cheap!
Old 10-16-2021, 04:50 PM
78Corvetter
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Is 14 too young...?

I don’t think so. Learning to make choices is what this time in his life is about. Last week my lad chose a ‘78 Corvette L82 to be his first car.

He’s got two years to tear it apart & put it back together before he can drive. After he makes it roadworthy, he gets pro driving training for his 16th birthday.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The C3 Corvette Is a Perfect First Car