C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Disable VATs and Factory Alarm

Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 PM
audio622
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable VATs and Factory Alarm

Hello,

I am new to this forum and also just a very recent 1991 Convertible Corvette C4 owner. I have a few items to address with my C4. First, how do I disable the VATS? I don't want to bypass it as suggested by some of the articles I read (ie resistor fix). Also, I would like to disable the security/factory alarm and replace it with a Viper alarm system. Is this a good idea? Should I just add a keyless entry to the existing system?

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

If it is working, why do you want to screw around with VATS just because people have done it for no reason?

Not really a big fan of the alarm systems. Many people haven't really paid attention to it from what I see.

Keyless would be a good thing especially on a rainy day.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM
audio622
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If it is working, why do you want to screw around with VATS just because people have done it for no reason?

Not really a big fan of the alarm systems. Many people haven't really paid attention to it from what I see.

Keyless would be a good thing especially on a rainy day.
I was never a fan of VATS. My friend had an 88 Convertible and he always had problems with it. Also it is an old technology and I could potentially get stuck somewhere because VATS has issues with the key. So I would rather take it out and replace with a more modern alarm system.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
So the present set-up, if functioning reliably, is a deterent to thieves that know they can't just pop the ignition and drive away.

There's some input. If the factory VATS and alarm is functioning, that's probably all you really need. If its a high-value car, and you have to park it outside, get good insurance.
Are C4s really that sought after these days? If the guy is a pro, he'd have it gone in a few minutes regardless of whatever alarm you have.

Exactly. If I pay for the insurance with a deductible I am comfortable losing be it $500 or $1000 or whatever, why worry? I pay insurance so I don't have to worry. As I told the worrywart wife "Why don't we cancel all the insurance so you can have a REAL worry?". I pay so I don't have to worry and if I have to worry AND pay insurance, that is ridiculous. Do either but not both.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by audio622
I was never a fan of VATS. My friend had an 88 Convertible and he always had problems with it. Also it is an old technology and I could potentially get stuck somewhere because VATS has issues with the key. So I would rather take it out and replace with a more modern alarm system.
Don't know. I had a 91 Firebird that until it was totaled in 04, worked flawlessly and my 91 Vette hasn't had a hiccup yet other than when I forced it to work by taping the pellet. It refused the start and regardless of what I did, wouldn't work till 15 minutes or something like that had passed.

You are right that it is an old system but the cost to take it out and create new issues and put a new one in doesn't have much more ROI. If you are having problems, sure. Take it out and reprogram the EPROM (IIRC). I honestly don't think that the benefits outweigh the cost but it's your money.

If your friend is always having problems with it, I suspect that it has a problem he hasn't fixed or has been misdiagnosed. Most people I have seen or heard of remove VATS simply because, like you, they think it can cause problems every time they turn the key and out of paranoia and many others have all kinds of issues that the blame on VATS and IMPROPER DIAGNOSIS.

Do a search on the forums. Most times a "My car doesn't start" problem arises, the first suspect is VATS. They remove it and the problem remains. However, the number of times I have seen it properly diagnosed to be VATS doesn't matter. The vendors hype up the issue and have the "fix" and the item is sold.

Last edited by aklim; 09-19-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
And to AKLIM: Car thieves DO know about VATS. They are aware that it disables fueling. I said they can't DRIVE away by just popping the lock. Which is true. There are other ways to steal a car, of course. But I know from anecdotal experience that thieves KNOW about VATS,

and it IS a deterrent.
I agree with all of the above concerning the pro thieves

Agreed. That said, it isn't much of a deterrent.

Get notified of new replies

To Disable VATs and Factory Alarm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disable VATs and Factory Alarm