In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

Thinking About My Dad

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:37 AM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About My Dad

My Corvette had sat in a barn in Wisconsin for over 10 years. Rats had gotten into it and did there damage. After extensive work, I had finished fixing it up. I showed the finished pictures of it to my dad. He was fighting a losing battle with stage 4 colon cancer. He said whose Corvette is that? I said dad, it's mine, all fixed up. He said it was beautiful. I had wanted to take him for a ride in it, but he kept getting weaker and weaker until the Lord called him home. It's been a year since he passed and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. How I miss that man. I guess that Corvette ride will have to wait until I join him. Love you dad.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:48 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfireclint

My Corvette had sat in a barn in Wisconsin for over 10 years. Rats had gotten into it and did there damage. After extensive work, I had finished fixing it up. I showed the finished pictures of it to my dad. He was fighting a losing battle with stage 4 colon cancer. He said whose Corvette is that? I said dad, it's mine, all fixed up. He said it was beautiful. I had wanted to take him for a ride in it, but he kept getting weaker and weaker until the Lord called him home. It's been a year since he passed and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. How I miss that man. I guess that Corvette ride will have to wait until I join him. Love you dad.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:37 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

Im with you. Its been 4 long years since my dad passed unexpectedly. We'll see them again one day on the gold paved streets!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:52 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Several hours before you posted this, I found my Dad passed away in his home. There is a hole in my heart that I know will always be there.
You have my sympathies.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 PM
rdalisky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love and prayers brother. Please, if you are 40 and have a family history of colon cancer, get a colonoscopy. It just may save your life.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:43 AM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Thank you for all of your comments. Even though it has been over a year since my dad passed, life isn't the same without him. I miss hearing his voice, seeing his smiling face, hearing his laugh. To all of those who have lost loved ones, I'm so very sorry for your loss and I will pray for you.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Rustbkt
Cruising

Sorry for you loss. Losing a parent is the worst thing about getting older.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:01 AM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

For all my life I always felt that I was always a part of my parents... I was their son.
When they died they became a part of me......I miss not having my Mom or Dad to "ask what to do" , now I only have to go by what wisdom they taught me....
Old 03-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Bless you all for sharing your losses and provide much needed comfort. I could not think of a more uplifting thread. Brothers helping each other by offering hope and strength.

Very Grateful.

Peter
Old 03-18-2018, 09:06 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Peter I just want to add...as bad as it is when you lose your Dad...It worse worse for me when I lost my mom....
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 PM
2tired
Pro

Yesterday I visited my father's grave (he passed about 5 weeks ago). It is on property his family donated to their church during the 1800's. I have several generations of family there.
Settling and the recent rains had left the plot in poor condition. This morning I bought a trailer load of topsoil and some grass seed.
Because my father loved his home on the river, I decided I should include sand from the bulkhead he built with his own hands. I dug deep beneath the topsoil and got a bucket of sand that he himself had shoveled from the shore and deposited behind the bulkhead many years ago. Next I dug dirt from beside his house.
It felt so right to place that sand and dirt at his feet before adding the topsoil. I spoke to him and explained what I was doing.
To the OP, Crossfireclint, I hope you don't mind me sharing that here.
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

A servicemen replied to my post earlier today and I guess removed it. I wanted to respond to it but it was gone. If you are still out there:
First of all I thank you and your father for your service. I understand how you feel when you see degenerates desecrating our flag and the disrespecting our country.
Too many soldiers lost their lives so that we may have our freedom. It seems that there are some who don't appreciate the men and women in uniform who are alive and deceased who keep us safe.
About two years ago I brought my 7 year old son to the traveling Vietnam memorial that was set up in Springfield Mass that summer. It was really well done and my son learned a lot from it. There were some soldiers there with some equipment that they brought in for the event. There was a medical Helicopter and a Hum Vee parked on the side and of course my son wanted to get a closer look. The pilot encouraged my son to climb in and check things out...We next went over to the Hum Vee and I noticed that there was a big circular hole in the roof. I asked the soldier who was standing next to it "Isn't there supposed to be a gun mounted to this thing?". He just looked at the ground and didn't say anything. I thought maybe he didn't hear me so I asked again. This time he responded..." They made us take the gun off because it might be offensive to some people." Just then I realized why the helicopter was a medivac instead of a copter with guns....Someone might get offended that the military uses real guns instead of apologizing to the world. I left there that day wondering how our country got so turned around that it is offensive to exhibit guns but it's Okay for our sailors to be ordered to stand down and kneel before a bunch of "lame" Iranian punks on a boat. Thank god things are now changing.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 PM
2tired
Pro

"Some people" can go to Hell. My father proudly served 20 years in the U.S. Army, retiring in 1966.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustbkt
Sorry for you loss. Losing a parent is the worst thing about getting older.
I agree, but hopefully, it occurs when you're old. My father died unexpectedly, due to a heart attack, 43 years ago, at the age of 58.

I was only 23 at the time, and there is hardly a day that goes by, that I don't think about him. Sadly, he was the "glue" that kept my mother together, she became sort of a "lost soul" after his passing. And unfortunately, her loneliness turned into "crankiness" over the years, and she became a little difficult to deal with. She later developed dementia, and spent her last 9 years in a nursing home....

So now I'm an orphan............
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
thunderhound@53
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vettewreck
Im with you. Its been 4 long years since my dad passed unexpectedly. We'll see them again one day on the gold paved streets!
Gone from our sight, but never from our hearts. My heartfelt condolences,

Old 03-19-2018, 05:18 PM
thunderhound@53
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by c5c6c7
A servicemen replied to my post earlier today and I guess removed it. I wanted to respond to it but it was gone. If you are still out there:
First of all I thank you and your father for your service. I understand how you feel when you see degenerates desecrating our flag and the disrespecting our country.
Too many soldiers lost their lives so that we may have our freedom. It seems that there are some who don't appreciate the men and women in uniform who are alive and deceased who keep us safe.
About two years ago I brought my 7 year old son to the traveling Vietnam memorial that was set up in Springfield Mass that summer. It was really well done and my son learned a lot from it. There were some soldiers there with some equipment that they brought in for the event. There was a medical Helicopter and a Hum Vee parked on the side and of course my son wanted to get a closer look. The pilot encouraged my son to climb in and check things out...We next went over to the Hum Vee and I noticed that there was a big circular hole in the roof. I asked the soldier who was standing next to it "Isn't there supposed to be a gun mounted to this thing?". He just looked at the ground and didn't say anything. I thought maybe he didn't hear me so I asked again. This time he responded..." They made us take the gun off because it might be offensive to some people." Just then I realized why the helicopter was a medivac instead of a copter with guns....Someone might get offended that the military uses real guns instead of apologizing to the world. I left there that day wondering how our country got so turned around that it is offensive to exhibit guns but it's Okay for our sailors to be ordered to stand down and kneel before a bunch of "lame" Iranian punks on a boat. Thank god things are now changing.
It was me that replied to your message, I think I deleted by mistake, I thank you for your unwaivering support to our men’s and women’s in and out of uniforms, it’s patriots like you that we served and protects.

https://www.uswings.com/about-us-win...nam-war-facts/

Semper Fi

Last edited by thunderhound@53; 03-19-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 AM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

That is a beautiful tribute.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by 2tired
Yesterday I visited my father's grave (he passed about 5 weeks ago). It is on property his family donated to their church during the 1800's. I have several generations of family there.
Originally Posted by 2tired
Settling and the recent rains had left the plot in poor condition. This morning I bought a trailer load of topsoil and some grass seed.
Because my father loved his home on the river, I decided I should include sand from the bulkhead he built with his own hands. I dug deep beneath the topsoil and got a bucket of sand that he himself had shoveled from the shore and deposited behind the bulkhead many years ago. Next I dug dirt from beside his house.
It felt so right to place that sand and dirt at his feet before adding the topsoil. I spoke to him and explained what I was doing.
To the OP, Crossfireclint, I hope you don't mind me sharing that here.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Beny
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can relate. Lost my dad 2012. We go on with life, but the void is always there. I heard somewhere a man truly becomes a man when he loses his father.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking About My Dad

Quick Reply: Thinking About My Dad