Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield

Time to roll the dice.
I said it is a crap shoot (others probably have too). That's why I advocate the cheapest unit w/the best warranty. Since NONE of them are proven, I'm all in for the best protection for the least money.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I said it is a crap shoot (others probably have too). That's why I advocate the cheapest unit w/the best warranty. Since NONE of them are proven, I'm all in for the best protection for the least money.
Unfortunately, the best warranty/price combo I find are the ones sold by autozone/advance auto/o'reillys. Almost every review was negative. So I could go on swapping free Optisparks every 6 months for life. Even if I whittled my install time down to 2 hours, that's not sustainable.

Car addict, I appreciate the contact information. While his initial offer was great, I don't feel comfortable chasing down Chris to try and get him to follow through. He knows how to reach me. Maybe he had second thoughts. I get an email when someone posts a PM. Pretty sure he does too. Bygones. It's not the most money I've wasted on a vehicle.

My AIP will be here tomorrow. $99 shipped, 1 year warranty. Maybe if I hold the dice just right...
Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

It's really a shame. I know its not a big deal to change out the opti, but it sucks that such an integral part of the car has to be a "crap shoot" when it comes to purchasing a replacement. Oh well, it does look like the OptiDoctor is stepping up to try and produce a quality part for all of us, and I believe he did purchase a bulk supply of genuine Mitsubishi sensors.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
It's really a shame. I know its not a big deal to change out the opti, but it sucks that such an integral part of the car has to be a "crap shoot" when it comes to purchasing a replacement. Oh well, it does look like the OptiDoctor is stepping up to try and produce a quality part for all of us, and I believe he did purchase a bulk supply of genuine Mitsubishi sensors.
I too am hopeful that someone like the recently anointed "optidoctor" can help. But then, I read good things about Petris. Time will tell.

I had good luck with the stock AIP in my '95 before it sold. Still considering substituting the Mitsu sensor from my original opti though. Of course, that would void the 1 year warranty.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I thought AIP had a 2 year warranty now. No?

EDIT: I agree about Autozone etc. Although I did get a NAPA unit that lasted 5 years/~30,000 miles.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-23-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:12 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Unfortunately, the best warranty/price combo I find are the ones sold by autozone/advance auto/o'reillys. Almost every review was negative. So I could go on swapping free Optisparks every 6 months for life. Even if I whittled my install time down to 2 hours, that's not sustainable.

Car addict, I appreciate the contact information. While his initial offer was great, I don't feel comfortable chasing down Chris to try and get him to follow through. He knows how to reach me. Maybe he had second thoughts. I get an email when someone posts a PM. Pretty sure he does too. Bygones. It's not the most money I've wasted on a vehicle.

My AIP will be here tomorrow. $99 shipped, 1 year warranty. Maybe if I hold the dice just right...
I got one from SAC city corvette, AIP, 2 year warranty, about a year ago. No issues since then.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Understand fully and agree.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:02 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by pacoW
I got one from SAC city corvette, AIP, 2 year warranty, about a year ago. No issues since then.
Good to read that it's working for you. I am opti-mistic.

SAC city offers the 2 year warranty, not AIP. I didn't realize that when I ordered from Amazon. I looked at the SAC website long enough to see the $160 price and bolted for the $99 price. If AIP offered the extended warranty for another $60 I'd probably pass.

So I only have the AIP 90 day warranty. If it holds up, great. If not, well, on to the next. Just another crap shoot.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Renfield
Drifting

It was so good driving my vette to work today. I really missed her.

I had the new Opti installed and the balancer bolted on by noon Wednesday. But a dead battery stalled the test. Also I forgot to attach the vent tubes before installing the Opti, and didn't discover the problem until I was ready to bolt the WP in place. That set me back a couple hours.

New AIP opti seated brilliantly and is working well. Mark your calendars.

The sound when I turned the key after work was as sweet as the ride home.​​​​​​​

New seals and a fresh slathering of anti-seize on the hub.

Coming together.

Last edited by Renfield; 07-26-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: pix
Old 07-26-2018, 08:06 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

good to hear its back

I would've washed that engine though!

next project?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by CVG323
good to hear its back

I would've washed that engine though!

next project?
My backup ride gets new half shafts, rear wheel bearings, pads, rotors and caliper rebuilds.

Engine washing? After almost two months waiting to drive Lucy again, I didn't even put away tools.

Quick Reply: Stranded in a '96