Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

'72 C3 - Droopy Nose - Can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Default '72 C3 - Droopy Nose - Can it be fixed?

Hi All, can anyone offer their opinion, words of advice, or instruction on how to proceed to resolve a droopy front nose on my ’72 Corvette.

I’ve owned this C3 for 27 years, and the nose was droopy when I bought it, but I think it has gotten slightly worse over the years. The car has had a replacement one piece front clip attached at some time.

Paint is in really good condition (28 Yrs). No cracks or spidering. Door gaps are good. The nose-surround starts drooping down a couple of inches before the hood hinge.

It really bothers me, but on the other hand, I don’t want to raise the nose and end up cracking the body or paint in some area.

So I’ve researched the forums going back 10 years, and the general consensus seems to be two potential solutions:

1. Remove the front bumper, loosen the horse collar and nose rod, then try to raise the nose. See how far I can adjust it if any? The comments I’ve read is that you may only be able to get 3/16” to a ¼” inch adjustment with this method. I think I may need more to really even it out, and with this method it could stress the panels (around wheel arches) and lead to cracking.

2. The other solution, is do the same as in #1 above, but you have to also separate the bond between the inner fender and the fender as well. Some people have been able to separate the bond by simply using a putty knife, and others have used a heat gun to soften the bonding material then use a putty knife. Cut-off wheel I guess is another maybe? Either way I can see potential for cracking or burning of the paint with the heat gun. Also, what seams do I separate and how far?

I’ve attached a number of exterior pics to help describe the issue. The pic with the overhead view of the hood has two pieces of green tape. They are reference points indicating where the fender starts to drop below the hood. Also, the hood is a factory hood - not a repro.

Appreciate any input. Strategies if fixable.

Regards. Thanks in advance.

Dino.

View from side

Driver side of hood at front slighter higher

Start of drop forward of tape

Passenger side

Driver side
Old 03-19-2018, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

QUESTIONS:

1.) Are you worried about the car still being 100% factory correct???

2.) Can you confirm if the gusset supports which are at the end of the beam that your headlight assembles are bolted so are secured to the front face of the inner skirts? (This is CRITICAL that they are there)

This is what it looks like.

3.) Has the car EVER been hit in the front where you can detect that it has been repaired???

Reason I ask..is I know how to help this out greatly....IF NOT fix it.

I would NOT do the second option you posted unless that is the last option.

DUB
Old 03-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
QUESTIONS:

1.) Are you worried about the car still being 100% factory correct???

2.) Can you confirm if the gusset supports which are at the end of the beam that your headlight assembles are bolted so are secured to the front face of the inner skirts? (This is CRITICAL that they are there)

This is what it looks like.

3.) Has the car EVER been hit in the front where you can detect that it has been repaired???

Reason I ask..is I know how to help this out greatly....IF NOT fix it.

I would NOT do the second option you posted unless that is the last option.

DUB

Hi Dub, thanks for the reply, to answer your questions:

1) No. I am not concerned if under the hood forward of the rad the car is not 100% correct.

2) Appears to me that the gussets are attached to the inner fender skirt, but the headlight support is not sitting on the gussets on either side.

3) I can only assume the car was hit in the front at one time (before I bought it), and the reason for the one piece front end clip. Also, I spent quite a bit of time with the factory assembly manual to add or replace nut and bolts that were wrong or missing. So I would say yes.

I'll attach pics of the gussets.

Gusset driver side. Note gap between support and gusset.

Gusset driver side bolted to inner fender

Gusset pass. Bad pic. But there is a gap between support and gusset.

Pass. gusset bolted to skirt

Wheelwell driver side. Sorry for the misaligned pic, needs a 90 degree counter clockwise fix.

Wheelwell pass. side.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:44 AM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks for answering my questions.

Your answer to question #2 is part of the problem...if not all of it.

Now..the next step...either I type this all out and try to explain it to you....OR....you PM me and I can give you my shop phone number and you can call me so we can talk and cover a lot more information much faster. It is up to you.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Chad 71 vette (01-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Save the typing. PM sent. Will call you. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dino_'72
Save the typing. PM sent. Will call you. Thanks.
I replied to your PM.

DUB
Old 01-21-2023, 03:42 PM
Chad 71 vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging nose on 71 vette

Originally Posted by DUB
Thanks for answering my questions.

Your answer to question #2 is part of the problem...if not all of it.

Now..the next step...either I type this all out and try to explain it to you....OR....you PM me and I can give you my shop phone number and you can call me so we can talk and cover a lot more information much faster. It is up to you.

DUB
I have searched up and down and finally came across this post. I have the same problem however its only on the passenger side front hood corner.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:09 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad 71 vette
I have searched up and down and finally came across this post. I have the same problem however its only on the passenger side front hood corner.
It appears that you're new to the forum. Unfortunately, 'DUB' won't be able to reply to you, as he died, several months ago, and he's been sadly missed......

Get notified of new replies

To '72 C3 - Droopy Nose - Can it be fixed?

Quick Reply: '72 C3 - Droopy Nose - Can it be fixed?