Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A new c5 audio build God help me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:56 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I think you've got a good handle on this, looking forward to seeing progress. You should post up on https://www.diymobileaudio.com/ if you are going to do a build log on it. Can get some good fab advice over there too. (if you aren't already on there)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:38 PM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Corner sub

Gladen amp behind passenger, top down just clears

twiddler

Gladen 3 way system with active filter

Butylen insulation sticky inside door

+ cable to amp

Ensolite insulation passenger side

Maybe this can give some ideas, I just rebuilt my convertible with all new stereo and ripped the Bose out, it is very tight where the roof is coming down but i did get the Gladen 4channel amp bolted to the floor on a glued wooden 1/2 inch board it just clears the roof.
I did buy the Vettenuts cornersub 10” JL and put that one in the passenger side box in the back.
The door speakers i did replace with a 3 way kit Gladen 6.5 / 3.5 in the doors and the twiddler is placed in the door handles i did a cut out there, surely you have seen others do it also.
Did replace the back speakers 5.25 with Fosgates they droppes right in but maybe not so good as they tends to bail out so i fade sound forward so they are more of a fill out so to speak.
HU is switched to a doubledin Kenwood with DD panel from Vettenuts, new USB port in the arm rest to connect with stereo.
Whole car have been sound insulated including the doors, it is a good upgrade campared to Bose system and makes the car more modern.

Last edited by MatsA; 07-31-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:28 PM
JB-I
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MatsA

Maybe this can give some ideas, I just rebuilt my convertible with all new stereo and ripped the Bose out, it is very tight where the roof is coming down but i did get the Gladen 4channel amp bolted to the floor on a glued wooden 1/2 inch board it just clears the roof.
I did buy the Vettenuts cornersub 10” JL and put that one in the passenger side box in the back.
The door speakers i did replace with a 3 way kit Gladen 6.5 / 3.5 in the doors and the twiddler is placed in the door handles i did a cut out there, surely you have seen others do it also.
Did replace the back speakers 5.25 with Fosgates they droppes right in but maybe not so good as they tends to bail out so i fade sound forward so they are more of a fill out so to speak.
HU is switched to a doubledin Kenwood with DD panel from Vettenuts, new USB port in the arm rest to connect with stereo.
Whole car have been sound insulated including the doors, it is a good upgrade campared to Bose system and makes the car more modern.
Wow that’s great! Thanks for the pictures. And it’s even a MY convertible! Good taste 😁. I just built a mock-up vertical amp rack to go behind the waterfall. It’s very tight. I’m now looking at shaving 1/8” here and there to get clearance with the folded convert top. The jury is still out if this will be feasible. It definitely would not work with any amp larger than these JL Audio Vxi amps! I see you have the vettenuts corner sub, how is the bass when the top is down?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM
JB-I
Intermediate

Check out the new JL Audio video of the VXi amps! I just ordered two yesterday. Can’t wait to get them in my hands!

Old 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

installation of Vettenuts DD, cut out both brackets.

almost finished, looks like stock the panel and very good fit, 7” had to cut a little bit in it to clear the ooeration of door to stereo
Originally Posted by JB-I

Wow that’s great! Thanks for the pictures. And it’s even a MY convertible! Good taste 😁. I just built a mock-up vertical amp rack to go behind the waterfall. It’s very tight. I’m now looking at shaving 1/8” here and there to get clearance with the folded convert top. The jury is still out if this will be feasible. It definitely would not work with any amp larger than these JL Audio Vxi amps! I see you have the vettenuts corner sub, how is the bass when the top is down?
Top down not so good bass there the door speaker setup and insulation and sound deadening build up of doors is vital for a good performance, if you like bass i would defenitely go with two corner subs if you have the money.
I did change all cables also there is place under door - floor, there is a small hatch to get acces to cables through door but be careful to place and hang cables out of the window mechanism if you do this, i trashed one of my filters thanks to sloppy install.
MY convert is the way to go 👍

Last edited by MatsA; 08-01-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM
JB-I
Intermediate

Well I’m now in the middle of the install and just discovering that wiring for Retained Accessory Power (RAP) will not be possible! The Accessory Valet by Top Down Tech is no longer available Has anyone ever figured out a way to wire it without using an accessory valet? I have a Window Valet but when using an aftermarket HU it will not control the RAP function as I understand. Is this correct?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

JB-I...how's that VXi???!!!???!!!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:12 PM
JB-I
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
JB-I...how's that VXi???!!!???!!!
Still sitting in the box!!!! I just started the install last week. Only had a few hours to work on it this week and keep having to order stuff online and wait for it to come in! Installed the Big "4", completely disconnected every ground, cleaned and reset, cleaned every electrical connector in the engine & interior compartment, changed the hazard switch and installed the hyper flash module, remove and cleaned the ignition switch, replaced the existing top mounted battery cables (2004 only) to side post cables and installed a Yellow Top dual post battery so the top post could be used for audio and Big "4" only. I also gutted the entire interior including the dash and instrument panel. Installing all LED interior lights even in the IP and also installed brushed aluminum gage bezels. They look sweet! Laid out the cable runs, installed backup camera and installed two 1/0 cable bulkhead watertight grommets because I'm running the negative back to the amps also in addition to grounding the amp rack to the left rear B pillar. Getting ready to do wiring harness and then start on full sound deadening interior. I will post a write up towards the end when i get time with pictures.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:15 PM
JB-I
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB-I
Still sitting in the box!!!! I just started the install last week. Only had a few hours to work on it this week and keep having to order stuff online and wait for it to come in! Installed the Big "4", completely disconnected every ground, cleaned and reset, cleaned every electrical connector in the engine & interior compartment, changed the hazard switch and installed the hyper flash module, remove and cleaned the ignition switch, replaced the existing top mounted battery cables (2004 only) to side post cables and installed a Yellow Top dual post battery so the top post could be used for audio and Big "4" only. I also gutted the entire interior including the dash and instrument panel. Installing all LED interior lights even in the IP and also installed brushed aluminum gage bezels. They look sweet! Laid out the cable runs, installed backup camera and installed two 1/0 cable bulkhead watertight grommets because I'm running the negative back to the amps also in addition to grounding the amp rack to the left rear B pillar. Getting ready to do wiring harness and then start on full sound deadening interior. I will post a write up towards the end when i get time with pictures.
Oh, and also I'm reading 14.2 volts on the DIC at idle!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 PM
JB-I
Intermediate

Well, here is a quick update and teaser photo! My baby has been down since September with this audio install! I completely missed the entire foliage season in New England and the local Corvette Show which I won last year. It is taking a lot more time than I anticipated but since I’m a perfectionist I can not rush it just to hear what it sounds like! I finally reassembled the car and all the wiring is complete. I now have to finish the skeleton of the amp rack before I can complete the connections to the amp and fire it up! I also need to finish the beauty panel to finish off the amp rack and fiberglass the tweeters in the A-Pillars. Unfortunately we got 6” of snow today and it’s now freezing out which doesn’t make for the best conditions in my garage for woodworking, fiberglassing etc... so I may or may not even be able to hear the fruits of my labor until the spring. ☹️ I will post a complete log post of my build with pictures when finished next spring! If I get a chance to hear some early results I’ll update you.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Bro! You can't give us awesome teaser pictures with Focal Flax's and an amazing install only to leave us hanging. Finish comments or ban!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 AM
JB-I
Intermediate

Bro! You can't give us awesome teaser pictures with Focal Flax's and an amazing install only to leave us hanging. Finish comments or ban!
Beleive me Buddy, I’m just as anxious to hear the results as you! Lol. I’m still trying to at least finish the amp rack to a point where I can screw everything down to it and run some juice! I’m close. I plan on sealing the MDF with Minwax wood hardener first and then coat with truckbed coating for now. The inside will stay that way but I can’t decide whether to leave it like that on the outside or carpet or upholster on the outside. It’s a very complicated shape to upholster. I’ll have to make the beauty panel to finish off the front of the rack next spring. But I have the Umik mini DSP mic in hand and can’t wait to start tuning!!! Once I get some preliminary results and feedback I’ll post a build log hopefully in a month or so! Stay tuned! Here is another teaser!!!

Last edited by JB-I; 11-17-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Are you not going to run a small tweeter? Or are you just running the 3.5"s? 3 way set or 2 way? Tweeter pods on the pillar? That's what I'm doing to mine...

(EDIT: I'm really anxious to hear your feedback about the VXi in particular. How well they work together. How easy is the internal DSP? Etc. etc)

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 11-17-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 PM
JB-I
Intermediate

Are you not going to run a small tweeter? Or are you just running the 3.5"s? 3 way set or 2 way? Tweeter pods on the pillar? That's what I'm doing to mine...

(EDIT: I'm really anxious to hear your feedback about the VXi in particular. How well they work together. How easy is the internal DSP? Etc. etc)
yes I’m planning on fiberglassing the tweeters of the 3-way set into the A-Pillars off axis basically pointing directly at each other. I will experiment though with the angle before completing the pillar mod.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Are they focal? Reason I ask is Focal has GREAT off axis response, so pointing them directly at your nugget isn't absolutely crucial. However, if pointed at your nugget, they will sound that much better. Biggest issue I seem to have in mine is mid-bass. When those tweets are screaming, it's easy to lose the balanced sound.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:48 PM
JB-I
Intermediate

Are they focal? Reason I ask is Focal has GREAT off axis response, so pointing them directly at your nugget isn't absolutely crucial. However, if pointed at your nugget, they will sound that much better. Biggest issue I seem to have in mine is mid-bass. When those tweets are screaming, it's easy to lose the balanced sound.
yes they are the Focal tweeters that come with the PS165F3, TN51 I think. I was told that the best orientation for c5 A-pillar tweeters was about an inch above the instrument panel hump pointed at each other. But I will experiment with that and on-axis orientation before I solidify any orientation. I know people have said the Focal KX2 tweeters are very harsh so that configuration may have worked better for those. The Flax tweeters are supposed to be less harsh and may be a better candidate for on axis. We will see.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

All true...however, you're using a DSP. All that makes everything else irrelevant because you're able to tune for orientation and placement.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 AM
larney
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Ever been to a LIVE concert? Ever see rear speakers there?
Yes I did live concert sound for years. While we didn't use "rear" speakers we did use fill speakers.
Sometimes located about half way back of the venue. These filled in the holes and cut back on echo.
While echo won't be an issue in a car it will fill in some holes.
Again just my .02 worth.

Quick Reply: A new c5 audio build God help me!