Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

FAST throttle body + manifold worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 PM
BUR-MAN
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST throttle body + manifold worth it?

Dear Corvette forum,.

I have a 04' coupe with Patriotic red, white, & blue flames. I was wondering if I can upgrade my intake manifold to a "Manifold - FAST LSXR™ 102mm" and my throttle body to a "FAST™ Big Mouth Throttle Body1" ?? Would I have any problems since Im switching from a 78" mm stock throttle body to a 102" mm throttle ?? Thanks everyone 😉. #vettelife #USA
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Related question: will the stock fuel rails and injectors work with the Fast 102 manifold?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Tune, no
Old 07-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You can use the LS1 rails and injectors with the FAST 92 (and older 90), but you will have to use LS2 rails, FAST rails or other comparable fuel rails with the 102. You will also need compatible injectors.

In most instances, you may have to remove the small push pin from the center of the cowl to allow clearance. Try it first without removing the pin, and then if necessary you can pull it. For some cars it seems to fit ok with the pin in place but others have to remove it. As an alternative, you can lower the engine with the Hinson 3/8” lower engine and transmission mounts. You will also potentially have to grind a little metal off of your water pump to allow room for the throttle body. Some people will grind a little less off the water pump and grind a small amount off the TB so not as much metal is cut away from either component.

On a well prepped engine I believe you will only gain about 5-12 horsepower between the FAST 92 (with no additional grinding, pin removal, etc), and the FAST 102. If your engine is basically stock you would probably be on the very low end of that range. Lot of work for 5 additional horsepower. Additionally, either the 92 or 102 intake is a large expense for an unmodified engine. With an ’04, you should already have the LS6 intake manifold that a lot of members purchase to use on older C5s.

However, I’m sure many of us have been at a point with our cars that we want to tinker and make changes so if this is really the direction you want to go, best wishes with your efforts.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Typically a FAST 102 intake is a part of a max effort build. Will this be the only engine mod? If so this is not the place to start. Long tube headers, a cold air intake and a tune are the go-to step one performance modifications.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:45 PM
C5 Kirkland
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99
You can use the LS1 rails and injectors with the FAST 92 (and older 90), but you will have to use LS2 rails, FAST rails or other comparable fuel rails with the 102. You will also need compatible injectors.

In most instances, you may have to remove the small push pin from the center of the cowl to allow clearance. Try it first without removing the pin, and then if necessary you can pull it. For some cars it seems to fit ok with the pin in place but others have to remove it. As an alternative, you can lower the engine with the Hinson 3/8” lower engine and transmission mounts. You will also potentially have to grind a little metal off of your water pump to allow room for the throttle body. Some people will grind a little less off the water pump and grind a small amount off the TB so not as much metal is cut away from either component.

On a well prepped engine I believe you will only gain about 5-12 horsepower between the FAST 92 (with no additional grinding, pin removal, etc), and the FAST 102. If your engine is basically stock you would probably be on the very low end of that range. Lot of work for 5 additional horsepower. Additionally, either the 92 or 102 intake is a large expense for an unmodified engine. With an ’04, you should already have the LS6 intake manifold that a lot of members purchase to use on older C5s.
Read this again. It will answer any of the future questions about a FAST 102 intake you might have.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 PM
itsslow98
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

If you dont have a very solid heads/cam setup the fast is not a good model for the money. I did the ported fast 102 a d 102 tb but also did a full mamo motorsports heads and cam setup. I also had to grind the water pump and install the hinson shorter mounts to make it fit.

Get notified of new replies

To FAST throttle body + manifold worth it?

Quick Reply: FAST throttle body + manifold worth it?