C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition wire routing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:04 AM
Jim__H
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Routing the spark plug wires through the engine mount can be a snap. Depending on the engine and what has been previously done to it. Simply remove the spark plug boot and reinstall it when you slide the wire where it need to go and far enough out of this area to reattach the boot. I do it that way on every car that requires it. This is often times due to the missing 2-wire spark plug wire looms that were not put back on,

If you buy a good set of wires you should have no fear in damaging the spark plug wire when removing the boot for the spark plug if you simply insert a small pocket size thin flat blade screwdriver and run it around the wire to break the seal. The pull it off and reinstall. I have never had a wire get damaged doing this. I obviously use some of the dielectric grease often times provided with spark plug wires to put a very thin film of it inside the area of the boot or on the outside of the wire by the terminal so when I go to slide it back in, it slides in with ease and is also sealed. and no fear of it arcing.

DUB
Dub, you did it again! I probably would not have had the guts to yank off the boot and reassemble it but I did that today routing my wires after reading this thread. Worked like a charm.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:38 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim__H
Dub, you did it again! I probably would not have had the guts to yank off the boot and reassemble it but I did that today routing my wires after reading this thread. Worked like a charm.
Jim,
I am GLAD it worked for you as how I described it. THANKS for coming into this thread and giving your results on how it worked for you.

I have been doing it this way for so long with no damage to the boot or wire I can not see how person cannot get them off and damage anything...UNLESS they buy the cheapest piece of crap wires know to man. And even if they did...if they can go in and break the seal of the boot loose to the wire. It should slide off. Even if they get little bit of dielectric grease in there while working their tool around the wire itself.

DUB
Old 11-26-2018, 12:34 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 1,011 Posts

DUB
Since we're talking about wires,
I've used this Moroso wire stripper crimper for decades. Can you explain why the stripped length is different for the plug wire vs. the distributor? I use Taylor bulk wire with HEI crimp ends and they are the same for both plug & distributor.
Thank you,

Old 11-26-2018, 12:48 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Jim,
..UNLESS they buy the cheapest piece of crap wires know to man. And even if they did...if they can go in and break the seal of the boot loose to the wire. It should slide off. Even if they get little bit of dielectric grease in there while working their tool around the wire itself.

DUB
The wires I bought are K&B, part on. KB1236
Old 11-26-2018, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bmotojoe
DUB
Since we're talking about wires,
I've used this Moroso wire stripper crimper for decades. Can you explain why the stripped length is different for the plug wire vs. the distributor? I use Taylor bulk wire with HEI crimp ends and they are the same for both plug & distributor.
Thank you,

It may be 'their' way due to the type or design of terminals you are crimping onto the wire.

I know if my memory serves me correctly I cut the MSD wires to look much like the red wire in your photo due to MSD's terminals are made to where I can actually crimp the electrode to the terminal....then crimp the terminal to the outer sleeve of the wire itself.

NOW..I have crimped 'other' spark plug wires made from other companies and I cut them like the gray wire due to the electrode wraps back onto the outer covering of the wire and it is then placed in the terminal so the electrode is touching the steel of the terminal and then I crimp it on.

So it depends. But other than knowing my crimps are good...I am more worried about the OHM value if the wire when I am done due to that is what really matters.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-26-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Ignition wire routing