Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dyno numbers low? 535whp 485trq btr4

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 AM
DustyShamrock
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This is the oddest thread. Seriously.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:54 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by DustyShamrock
This is the oddest thread. Seriously.
He is a young kid doing his best to learn and enjoy his car. I applaud his courage and willingness to be open and honest regarding his situation. He has also done more work himself on his car in a few months than some guys will ever do..in his driveway, with probably not much more than basic hand tools, elbow grease and persistence. Unless a person has actually turned a wrench they have no business judging him. He has made a few (many) mistakes, charged ahead when perhaps he shouldn't, ignored some good advice, tested some boundaries and pushed some limits. Sounds just like me at his age, and I ended up just fine.

We owe it to him to be patient, offer genuine advice or none at all, support his efforts in an adult fashion and nudge, not push him in the right direction. Yes he has much to learn about his car, and life in general. But we were all there at one point. At least I was.

Keep your head up Cammed. Just try not to get too far ahead of yourself. You have alot of car. Enjoy it easy like for a bit. One thing at at time, this way you extract maximum enjoyment from each experience. And maybe learn a few things along the way. There are alot of guys here willing to help and who are in your corner. Don't let some of the posts here upset or confuse you and don't feel obligated to respond to every bait post. Some guys get enjoyment from pushing buttons on easy targets. They won't even think of doing it to a grown man.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017), MTPZ06 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 07:37 AM
DustyShamrock
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Jesus Christ. It's a car thread. Not a life choice.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Exactly so why tf people like you come and talk a bunch of bullshit and I have to go explaining lol
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mordeth
He is a young kid doing his best to learn and enjoy his car. I applaud his courage and willingness to be open and honest regarding his situation. He has also done more work himself on his car in a few months than some guys will ever do..in his driveway, with probably not much more than basic hand tools, elbow grease and persistence. Unless a person has actually turned a wrench they have no business judging him. He has made a few (many) mistakes, charged ahead when perhaps he shouldn't, ignored some good advice, tested some boundaries and pushed some limits. Sounds just like me at his age, and I ended up just fine.

We owe it to him to be patient, offer genuine advice or none at all, support his efforts in an adult fashion and nudge, not push him in the right direction. Yes he has much to learn about his car, and life in general. But we were all there at one point. At least I was.

Keep your head up Cammed. Just try not to get too far ahead of yourself. You have alot of car. Enjoy it easy like for a bit. One thing at at time, this way you extract maximum enjoyment from each experience. And maybe learn a few things along the way. There are alot of guys here willing to help and who are in your corner. Don't let some of the posts here upset or confuse you and don't feel obligated to respond to every bait post. Some guys get enjoyment from pushing buttons on easy targets. They won't even think of doing it to a grown man.

Oh I know man thanks and trust me it would be different in person cause I look like a grown man with a beard and all when I don't shave thanks brother I'm just not gonna respond to the stupid comments
Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 AM
DustyShamrock
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Dick, I wasn't talking any ****. I said it was a weird thread. Coming in and reading it start to finish, it's an odd read. It goes from you sounding like you're asking for advice, then not accepting based on what you've read or heard I guess, how you got your car, even how easy 10's are but you're maybe in the 12's I guess? I came in look for an issue to see if it was related to mine.
Definately a different situation.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Hey Dick, I wasn't talking any ****. I said it was a weird thread. Coming in and reading it start to finish, it's an odd read. It goes from you sounding like you're asking for advice, then not accepting based on what you've read or heard I guess, how you got your car, even how easy 10's are but you're maybe in the 12's I guess? I came in look for an issue to see if it was related to mine.
Definately a different situation.
10s!

Last edited by CammedC6520; 05-23-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

Don't do anything to prove other people wrong. Do it because it's your goal or what you want to do. I ran a 12.7 in my car when it was stock but i forgot to turn of traction control and I was on all season tires. At least you have a time to beat.

Most everyone started in a similar situation as yourself. I used to do everything in the driveway with a 90 piece tool set and a jack and stands. I still rarely use a lift and prefer having the car on the ground. It's just what I'm used to.

I revived the thread because I was legitimately curious to know how everything turned out. Noticed you hadn't posted in a while and was hoping you didn't blow the motor. Glad to see the car is still running.

Now that you have a big cam in the car, I'd avoid shifting into 4th gear at such a low speed. That's probably all that's causing your issues. No tuner will be able to make that drive smooth in that gear at that speed. Just drive the car normally and you should be alright. Hell, I can't drive my BTR 3 car that low without some massive bucking and jerking.

Good luck man.

Last edited by jayyyw; 05-23-2017 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Don't do anything to prove other people wrong. Do it because it's your goal or what you want to do. I ran a 12.7 in my car when it was stock but i forgot to turn of traction control and I was on all season tires. At least you have a time to beat.

Most everyone started in a similar situation as yourself. I used to do everything in the driveway with a 90 piece tool set and a jack and stands. I still rarely use a lift and prefer having the car on the ground. It's just what I'm used to.

I revived the thread because I was legitimately curious to know how everything turned out. Noticed you hadn't posted in a while and was hoping you didn't blow the motor. Glad to see the car is still running.

Now that you have a big cam in the car, I'd avoid shifting into 4th gear at such a low speed. That's probably all that's causing your issues. No tuner will be able to make that drive smooth in that gear at that speed. Just drive the car normally and you should be alright. Hell, I can't drive my BTR 3 car that low without some massive bucking and jerking.

Good luck man.
Ik man it was a goal anyways just these guys are something else

But yeah right on brother, but I do have more tools then just 90 piece set lol my father and I build late 60s and early 70s cars for a hobby I'll keep you updated on it, going to get a baseline dyno else where.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Get rid of skip shift. With a cam that big, the engine doesn't want to be forced into 4th like that. I'd also not run the engine much below 1800-2000 rpm. Its not happy there, and you're going to get surges, pops, and spits, even if the tune is decent. I've found that big cams don't like large throttle transitions from low rpm, especially if the tune isn't spot on. So just stay above 2000 rpm, when applying over 25% throttle. If it is still doing it above that, then you have a tune issue, and I'd get it fixed before driving it hard again. The LS7 does NOT tolerate detonation very well, and if it is severe enough, it WILL blow ring lands off of pistons, and crack cylinder liners.
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Get rid of skip shift. With a cam that big, the engine doesn't want to be forced into 4th like that. I'd also not run the engine much below 1800-2000 rpm. Its not happy there, and you're going to get surges, pops, and spits, even if the tune is decent. I've found that big cams don't like large throttle transitions from low rpm, especially if the tune isn't spot on. So just stay above 2000 rpm, when applying over 25% throttle. If it is still doing it above that, then you have a tune issue, and I'd get it fixed before driving it hard again. The LS7 does NOT tolerate detonation very well, and if it is severe enough, it WILL blow ring lands off of pistons, and crack cylinder liners.
Yeah it's only below 2000 I think you are right on. I thought it was to big of a cam but it does it in first also very rarely when I take off slowly then apply like 50% throttle. Car pulls though very hard.. now see this is a perfect response also thanks brother right on! Now to everyone else we are done.... I will post things later to update the ones who want to know the rest don't bother posting insults or stupid
Old 05-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by CammedC6520
Put about 1000 miles on it already only thing I notice is in let's say I'm doing 20 mph and I'm in 3-4 and give it over 25% throttle I get back fire. I was told it was in the tune and had another tuner check it who has
Known rick for awhile told me that my tune was rushed and it was cause he squeezed me in when ever he had time.. so idk went to
The track already with my runflats ran a 127 at 12.2 spinning and misshifted third horribly
OK, back to the important sh*t!
Rick and Synergy get a lot of respect here on the forum, and anything that questions that is met with some resistance... but I think both of our experiences there were similar.
I felt my tune was very quick and cursory. I'm sure nice and safe, but perhaps leaving 'a bit' of HP behind. At least it runs fine, and right now I'm not inclined to chase those extra ponies.
Sounds like yours doesn't run fine, and now is an excellent chance for you give back to the Corvette Forum. Have your car retuned, and post the before and after dyno sheets, along with your driveability assessments.
I've heard good things about Matt at GP Tuning, but haven't personally tried him (yet?)
Good luck, keep us posted.
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

WOT is quick and easy. It is the part throttle/idle/etc that take time. There typically isn't a magic 20-30rwhp hiding in WOT from more time spent on it. It is set AFR, set timing, done. Unless someone is just a lot more conservative, or completely clueless, there isn't typically power hiding in a tune. Most good tuners, that have done a few NA setups similar can dial in a cammed ls7 in 3-4 WOT pulls and in less than 15 minutes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017), Millenium Z06 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Titan C6Z
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll get feedback about Matt @ GPTUNING in the regional norcal section. He made did my custom cam (stage 1) and tune. Josh @ JRG did my LG super pros 1 3/4, MSD intake manifold. I got 526whp n 501tq. Extremely happy customer since Jan 2016. He follows up and and answers questions too. I have no prior experience with anyone else, but I was aware of my other choices before I reached out to him.
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:56 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Precisely my thoughts. Not many 18 year olds would attempt such a top end rebuild under conditions such as those, let alone ideal conditions.

The kid gets an internet fist bump and couple coldies from me (when he's old enough ).
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:09 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Precisely my thoughts. Not many 18 year olds would attempt such a top end rebuild under conditions such as those, let alone ideal conditions.

The kid gets an internet fist bump and couple coldies from me (when he's old enough ).
Let's take a z06 trip to Mexico it's 18 over there ain't it lol

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno numbers low? 535whp 485trq btr4

Old 05-23-2017, 02:27 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by CammedC6520
Let's take a z06 trip to Mexico it's 18 over there ain't it lol
Grew up in SoCal...been to Mexico more times than I can count. I think I'm not allowed to go back to that country.
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:40 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Grew up in SoCal...been to Mexico more times than I can count. I think I'm not allowed to go back to that country.
LMAO thanks though brother
Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
OK, back to the important sh*t!
Rick and Synergy get a lot of respect here on the forum, and anything that questions that is met with some resistance... but I think both of our experiences there were similar.
I felt my tune was very quick and cursory. I'm sure nice and safe, but perhaps leaving 'a bit' of HP behind. At least it runs fine, and right now I'm not inclined to chase those extra ponies.
Sounds like yours doesn't run fine, and now is an excellent chance for you give back to the Corvette Forum. Have your car retuned, and post the before and after dyno sheets, along with your driveability assessments.
I've heard good things about Matt at GP Tuning, but haven't personally tried him (yet?)
Good luck, keep us posted.
I have used both tuners. Both very knowledgeable, but Matt is my tuner and is the one I will call for future needs. Why?

1. Matt will street tune the car before it goes on the dyno.
2. Matt will spend more time with the customer answering questions
and explaining the tune.
CammedC6520 (05-23-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dyno numbers low? 535whp 485trq btr4