Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Think of it this way maybe... If you doubled your front spring rate, and went out on track. In a hard braking zone the controller knows you are braking, and is prepared to load the front shock but because your spring is so much stiffer now, it measures how much travel or nose dive the car is generating and as such is going to result in less compression dampening. Now same scenario, half the current spring rate; car really wants to nose dive and the front shocks can respond by going full stiff (or some infinitely variable percentage). What I think you may not be accounting for is the ride height sensors of the car so the controller knows exactly how much travel the shock is seeing and based on the other variables (speed, accel, braking, cornering Gs, etc.) it can dynamically adjust, regardless of knowing weight, spring rate, etc. I believe this is why the controller works so well on a Z07, base Z06, Z51, etc, all with basically no changes.
I don't think that would work- it doesn't know how much energy 1" compression is. It also assumes a perfectly flat and smooth surface. It doesn't do anything for driving over dips and stuff.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I have a 17 grand sport and I just bought the device a week or so ago. I'll let you guys know if I run into issues, I assume its one of the new units, it didnt ship with the weatherproof cap for the usb or anything. I still dont have the car back so its not installed yet.

Last edited by spinkick; 09-20-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:21 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Again, I'm not any sort of suspension wizard, but just looking at what it does intuitively and as a mass spring damper system, it seems like there would need to be different tables for different spring rates.

I'd be interested to hear from DSC if a car would benefit/ could be optimized after a suspension change (or tires) or if you can just throw whatever on there and no changes need to be made to optimize it.
The Tables already in the Tuning Software are all you need.
Those tables can be Modified for whatever suspension is on the car.

DSC pdts files are programmed for stock ride height to get the most out of the Programmer.
It's also programmed by what Mike's experiences on the Track and he's constantly experimenting to improve it.
Yes with a different suspension it may not be satisfactory for everyone.
But DSC also mentioned if someone has lowered their car, or made suspension changes, then, modifications should be made to the pdts file/s to compensate for what you want.

Some guys are making and saving different programs tailored to certain Tracks they use depending on the Track surface, smooth bumpy etc

The speed of the travel is a function of both the forcing function/input force (ie: bump) and spring rate.

It's been over a decade since I did this stuff, but I'm having trouble understanding how the tune couldn't be optimized for different spring rates. I could be very wrong and just missing it through.
I don't think you're completely wrong, but look more at what your car is doing that you don't like.
Instead of concentrating on weight, mass, spring rate, etc., look at what changes to make in the different tables in the Tuning Software according to what your car is already doing.

I don't know exactly what to do myself in all the different tables.
But if my car rides too soft, I stiffen the shocks, or visa versa until hopefully it does what I want.
I'm learning by Trial and Error and can always go back if I messed it up.
Have never done anything with the Velocity table.
But the new Firmware is bug free, and new pdts file is matched to it.
So now if I experiment with Velocity, the changes will work correctly regardless if it gets me my results or not.
If I like it, fine, if not, it's back to the drawing board.
Either way it's Trial and Error.
But, I'll start to see what those changes did, and make different changes with hopefully better results.

I'm not concerned with weight, mass, spring rate, etc.
I'm concerned with the results of my changes.

Even if I knew weight, mass, spring rate, etc, I still need to know what to change.
And it will still be Trial and Error.
The Intuitive part of the Controller will take care of the rest and that's the beauty of it.
Food for thought and good luck whatever you do
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:51 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I think we're saying the same thing. I'm saying the factory tune can't possibly work for everything from base (non Z51) to Z51 to Z06 to Z07. Adjustments would have to be made in those tables because they all have different springs, sway bars, weights, etc.

Again, I'm not any sort of suspension wizard, but just looking at what it does intuitively and as a mass spring damper system, it seems like there would need to be different tables for different spring rates.

I'd be interested to hear from DSC if a car would benefit/ could be optimized after a suspension change (or tires) or if you can just throw whatever on there and no changes need to be made to optimize it.

Rereading it though, I should clarify that there should different values in the tables, not different tables. That would probably be more clear. My point being, it can't possibly (okay, probably cant) run the same tune for everyone with good results.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Dif (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

I guess it boils down to, does the stock module feel different in a z07 vs z51 vs grand sport, if yes, it definitely needs some sort of extra tuning or data to take into consideration
Old 09-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Flyingscot
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What car is Mike L. Testing? Z51, z06, or GS? Does he race the Corvette or just test track and/or street drive it?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Mike owns a Z06, which he takes to the track, but he competes as a pro in the IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup series. He also uses the controllers and his tractive shocks on his race cars, which is where they were originally developed.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Mike owns a Z06, which he takes to the track, but he competes as a pro in the IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup series. He also uses the controllers and his tractive shocks on his race cars, which is where they were originally developed.
I may be the only one testing a Z51 on track with the controller and actually grabbing hard data. I'll tell you that with the 12/2016 firmware and base pdts it net me only 0.3 sec improvement in laptimes. With the newest firmware and newest pdts file I am back to the same exact times I ran on the stock controller.

at this point I just don't think the controller is an improvement on track for a z51, unless one wants to do extensive testing and tuning, which as much as I like to tinker, I don't want to. maybe with time more pdts files catered to that vehicle will come out. On the street with a base tune and some camber/toe out, the car is too bouncy and wobbly, I'll be sticking the stock controller back in sometime in the next few days and taking some videos to compare just to make sure it's not alignment related.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I have a Z51, and I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. As Dif said, we're likely not all looking for the same thing. I find the DSC controller to be a dramatic improvement over stock in all modes.

Moreover, if you did not have your alignment set to DSC specs (particularly rear caster), your car is not set up properly. You've repeated this "too bouncy/wobbly" statement several times now, and I don't find it credible other than it simply reflects what YOU think. There are far too many other data points that contradict you.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-20-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:48 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I have a Z51, and I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. As Dif said, we're likely not all looking for the same thing. I find the DSC controller to be a dramatic improvement over stock in all modes.

Moreover, if you did not have your alignment set to DSC specs (particularly rear caster), your car is not set up properly. You've repeated this "too bouncy/wobbly" statement several times now, and I don't find it credible other than it simply reflects what YOU think. There are far too many other data points that contradict you.
Yes, that is my opinion. However, I am not the only to worry about how much float the car has without having the mess with settings for hours. Remember, your highways may be very different than mine where there are a lot of dips and rises.

I personally didn't buy it to improve my comfort driving on the road, I think the stock corvette handles just fine on the road, it's also not my daily driver. Sure softening up sport and track mode made the car smooth and soft on the street, but that's why I got tour. I bought the controller because I was told it would be a major improvement in laptimes. I have data showing a minor improvement that I couldn't recreate yesterday (tires are getting old, 100 degree ambient = high IAT = low power)

I like the idea of it, I like being able to adjust things, I am just not 100% satisfied with the improvements it has claimed. The 100% requirement to follow the DSC alignment specs + rear caster is kind of tough since not a single shop in a 200 mile radius has the tool to check it. I guess I can try to fab something up and take it with me to the shop and tell the guys to use it.

I also not 100% certain my alignment didn't come undone causing this feeling and my less-than-great laptimes (maybe my toe is messed up, Camber is still where it should be)

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-20-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SFCTeach
I am however frustrated with this controller. After my second install (carefully inspecting the pins, slowly connecting the controller to the harness, etc) wouldn't you know it while waiting to get on the track the dreaded "service suspension" came on. It came on and off during my whole time there today (5hrs) and turning off the car, starting back up. I am over the contacts are loose, a pin is bent. For me I have to turn the wheels to lockout, and reach in there while laying on my garage to to do this. I do not have a lift. I was expecting this to be the last time I had to "carefully" perform the installation. The 1hr15mins ride back from the track... no service suspension alerts! Damn Murphy's Law got me today.

My biggest fear is I am not looking at the screen setting up for a turn and the thing alerts service suspension and drops me to "soft" mode. When I purchased this controller, with the advice in this thread I asked for the latest firmware to be installed along with the PDTs. I got an email confirmation back that I was all set. I followed the Youtube video to verify my Firmware was the latest before the first install also.

My wife is telling me to just return it and put the money towards new rims and cup tires for trackdays. I have to admit I am liking this option because this controller is a PITA to keep removing and reinstalling. Is it possible the 17+ cars are not compatible with the controller? Mine is so unpredictable with the alert I feel confident it is not a loose connector.
I feel your pain...

Confirmed that the replacement DSC controller arrived so I drove an hour to the dealer to get it installed...wait around another hour and change... service guy comes out and tells me "no luck". Exact same problem: DIC displaying Service Suspension System.

He says they called DSC but no one has any idea what's going on at this point.

I've spent over $1,900 Canadian with taxes... invested over 5 hours sitting waiting plus over 4 hours of travel time and st this point all I have is frustration to show for it. Very close to asking for a refund and walking away.

worst part is i booked two track days to test this thing (another $1,000 in non refundable fees) and I can't get that money back... doubt DSC can resolve this before those dates.

really pissed off.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:50 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

I've received the error message on the highway a couple of times at a steady cruise. lasted less than a second. Not sure what this means. Do I have to re-zero out the parameters when this happens?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey guys. I updated the firmware but have been running the old stock non plush settings that have been out the past several months. Should I go with the new ones? Anyone have any opinions on the difference. FWIW I drive on the road in sport and track and don’t care much about how soft it is and certainly don’t want to be all Mr. floaty. I’m guessing the newer files are better but at the same time I’m feeling why mess with that works.

thoughts?

Best,
Gene
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

8-28 compared to old non-plush was more planted and not as sideway wiggly!
8-31 algorithm compared to 8-28 is even more planted, with almost no side sway.

Using 8-31 algorithm around the city in Tour Mode is very much planted that no need to go with Sport or Track on public roads.

I never used the silly plush mode.

Note that Tadge has advised not to use Track mode on public roads, if you don't want your "cast" wheels damaged. Unless you are running after market wheels on public roads.

Last edited by Kamran; 09-22-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Hey guys. I updated the firmware but have been running the old stock non plush settings that have been out the past several months. Should I go with the new ones? Anyone have any opinions on the difference. FWIW I drive on the road in sport and track and don’t care much about how soft it is and certainly don’t want to be all Mr. floaty. I’m guessing the newer files are better but at the same time I’m feeling why mess with that works.

thoughts?

Best,
Gene
Since you have the 8/28 Firmware installed, and like your current pdts file, nothing wrong with keeping it that way.
If you install the new 8/31 pdts file and do not like it, just re-install your current pdts file
Old 09-22-2017, 09:44 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Dif
Since you have the 8/28 Firmware installed, and like your current pdts file, nothing wrong with keeping it that way.
If you install the new 8/31 pdts file and do not like it, just re-install your current pdts file
Originally Posted by Kamran
8-28 compared to old non-plush was more planted and not as sideway wiggly!
8-31 algorithm compared to 8-28 is even more planted, with almost no side sway.

Using 8-31 algorithm around the city in Tour Mode is very much planted that no need to go with Sport or Track on public roads.

I never used the silly plush mode.

Note that Tadge has advised not to use Track mode on public roads, if you don't want your "cast" wheels damaged. Unless you are running after market wheels on public roads.
Good to know. Thanks guys! I could go for a more planted tour so I'll give the new ones a shot.

As far as Tadge, that guy says a lot of things. I've got nearly 45k miles with half driven in track in and out of Manhattan pot holes. No issues so far with this lowered Z07. I think they just say that kind of **** as a marketing thing to make the car seem like "oh boy it's a racecar!"

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 09-22-2017 at 09:46 PM.
spinkick (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

I'll put mine on this weekend and let you guys know. two week old dsc bought direct from them, 17 grand sport

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I'm not even sure why you'd want to drive in track mode on the steet unless you're canyon carving. With it being so stiff, it's actually kind of hard to lay down powerr
Old 09-22-2017, 10:46 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm not even sure why you'd want to drive in track mode on the steet unless you're canyon carving. With it being so stiff, it's actually kind of hard to lay down powerr
This is my third daily driven Z06. I’m always carving my friend.

Before DSC I was usually in track as I found it the most fun. After DSC I’m usually in Sport for the same reason.

Best,
Gene
Old 09-22-2017, 11:20 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phantasms
This is my third daily driven Z06. I’m always carving my friend.

Before DSC I was usually in track as I found it the most fun. After DSC I’m usually in Sport for the same reason.

Best,
Gene
I honestly think sport is faster on the steet but that's just ne

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations