C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by likeaboss
Keep in mind it's really just two changes to airflow into the engine with the BMS filter and Ported TB which is supposed to be an ok combo without a tune...I guess not. Keep in mind the X-Pipe is just the secondary unmonitored CAT not the main CAT.
Exhaust affects air flow too. Those 3 mods is too much for the stock tune that is why your losing power look at your AFR in GREEN terrible rich! Much like I said go back to the stock exhaust. Do just the BMS and the PTB and you will gain power like you should have made to start with!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
That's what i read too.

I mean right now no CEL from the filter install but the moment it does and the code is related to the filter, then you'll see this filter for sale on this forum and i'm going back to stock.

But the PTB and xpipe were well worth the money. Definitely not changing those out,
I removed the BMS filter and went back to the stock air filter. I received the P2227 and P2228 codes like when I first installed the BMS. After clearing the codes and going for a spirited drive the car ran fine. I'm probably going to dyno the car tomorrow with just the x-pipe and PTB.

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Exhaust affects air flow too. Those 3 mods is too much for the stock tune that is why your losing power look at your AFR in GREEN terrible rich! Much like I said go back to the stock exhaust. Do just the BMS and the PTB and you will gain power like you should have made to start with!
If I completely deleted the CATS I'd be with you on the exhaust having an impact but the Borla x-pipe isn't a factor here. We have effectively the same mods minus the X-Pipe yet you've never dyno'd your car so you don't really know if it's making extra power or not just a feeling. You could very well be in the same boat and not really know it as my car runs with the mods just running very rich.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

I removed the BMS filter and went back to the stock air filter. I received the P2227 and P2228 codes like when I first installed the BMS. After clearing the codes and going for a spirited drive the car ran fine. I'm probably going to dyno the car tomorrow with just the x-pipe and PTB.

If I completely deleted the CATS I'd be with you on the exhaust having an impact but the Borla x-pipe isn't a factor here. We have effectively the same mods minus the X-Pipe yet you've never dyno'd your car so you don't really know if it's making extra power or not just a feeling. You could very well be in the same boat and not really know it as my car runs with the mods just running very rich.
I told you why your failing and you have been proven wrong at every turn. I 'm trying to help you get results. The xpipe MATTERS and adds FLOW making too much
for the stock tune with the other two mods but go ahead and not listen.

My stock A8 dyno with just a Halltech

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 PM
KillerC7zo6
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

[QUOTE=likeaboss;1597624313]I removed the BMS filter and went back to the stock air filter. I received the P2227 and P2228 codes like when I first installed the BMS. After clearing the codes and going for a spirited drive the car ran fine. I'm probably going to dyno the car tomorrow with just the x-pipe and PTB.

ever get the car dynoed with just x pipe and tb?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:45 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

I told you why your failing and you have been proven wrong at every turn. I 'm trying to help you get results. The xpipe MATTERS and adds FLOW making too much
for the stock tune with the other two mods but go ahead and not listen.

My stock A8 dyno with just a Halltech
Did you take that dyno graph pic with a burner phone camera? Talk about an eye chart. Again I'm not saying definitively these mods don't lean out the stock tune and provide extra power by themselves. It's just in combination these three popular mods did not provide a power gain and cause at least my car to run rich. I'm not knocking any of the respective vendors yet you seem to be taking things a little personal...

Originally Posted by KillerC7zo6
I just made the change tonight. I plan to get a dyno done tomorrow if I get time.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:56 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Did you take that dyno graph pic with a burner phone camera? Talk about an eye chart. Again I'm not saying definitively these mods don't lean out the stock tune and provide extra power by themselves. It's just in combination these three popular mods did not provide a power gain and cause at least my car to run rich. I'm not knocking any of the respective vendors yet you seem to be taking things a little personal...

I just made the change tonight. I plan to get a dyno done tomorrow if I get time.
No nothing personal but I have seen this in threads before. Change the xpipe back it to stock it adds the least and causes the trouble. The BMS you want to use and the MAMO
you will be surprised. The dyno was just the Halltech and them I added the MAMO later and it feels really good but I'm done till my headers and new blower and 5 percent pully/balancer arrive them I'll get the tune!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:59 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

[QUOTE=KillerC7zo6;1597624431]

No nothing personal but I have seen this before. Change the xpipe back it to stock it adds the least and causes the trouble. The BMS you want to use and the MAMO
you will be surprised.
Where have you seen an x-pipe alone or with any of these other mods cause the car to run super rich outside of my setup? The x-pipe is staying as I no longer have the stock one.

Despite the car running rich the Mamo PTB does provide a slightly more linear throttle response.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:03 PM
pnoman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have all three mention mods on my 17 M7
car runs awesome and never had a cel.
Sorry no dyno charts to show
Old 07-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

I see I didn't miss much. Lots of speculation and WAGing spoken as though it's fact. Dynos without a before and after on the same dyno and knowing exactly what the mod(s) were are worthless. I can post any random dyno and make a claim... means nothing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tort:
AZGASSER (07-18-2018), madrob2020 (07-19-2018), Scoobydoobydoo (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by pnoman
I have all three mention mods on my 17 M7
car runs awesome and never had a cel.
Sorry no dyno charts to show

That's good to hear and had I not done the before and after dyno I'd be in the same boat as my car ran fine with the mods. Doing the before and after dyno confirmed my feeling that the car was faster is just a placebo effect and the car was really running rich and putting down the same power. The only thing that truly is noticeable is the better throttle response.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i can explain what is going on here, ive been through the same situation, the car is "SMART" and gm programmed it to only make X amount of power at certain rpm points.

Your car "learned" that it was seeing extra air. Your car is running rich on purpose at this moment in time, and your car is also adjusting the throttle body blade itself, and it is not opening it 100%, and instead, only 93% for instance.

There is a high likelyhood that if you take your car to a location that is at sea level, and you drive your car to 155mph at WOT, it will go into limp mode.

It is chevy's way of preventing people from making more power. People on this forum read this over and over, but then they HOPE they can win the battle. You cant. At sea level, a stock configured z06 is already at its max power the tune will allow it to make. The only people who should expect gains in power from add ons are people 1000 ft and above sea level.

The car only shows gains the first couple days an item is added (if even that long), when you are at sea level, and after that, it re-adjusts.

IF you eventually get your car tuned... then all of these items you have bought will be beneficial.

There is a reason fasterproms was the first vette into the 9's... with the mods he did... and a tune... he is at sea level

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-19-2018 at 12:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
likeaboss (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
i can explain what is going on here, ive been through the same situation, the car is "SMART" and gm programmed it to only make X amount of power at certain rpm points.

Your car "learned" that it was seeing extra air. Your car is running rich on purpose at this moment in time, and your car is also adjusting the throttle body blade itself, and it is not opening it 100%, and instead, only 93% for instance.

There is a high likelyhood that if you take your car to a location that is at sea level, and you drive your car to 155mph at WOT, it will go into limp mode.

It is chevy's way of preventing people from making more power. People on this forum read this over and over, but then they HOPE they can win the battle. You cant.

The car only shows gains the first couple days an item is added, and after that, it re-adjusts.

IF you eventually get your car tuned... then all of these items you have bought will be beneficial.
In the back of my mind this was what I was thinking as these "no tune" mods seemed to good to be true and the before and after dyno provided additional confirmation. I do agree that the BMS filter and Mamo PTB should be beneficial after the tune. I'm just not ready to go down the tuning road...yet.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

the x pipe without the cat will benefit your power as well. Catless downpipes will be beneficial also when the time comes.

Until then, you are fine. These mods WILL currently help when you get into higher altitudes.

Once your warranty is up, you can tune it, and thats that, youll make over 100 more hp in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-19-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

when it gets cold, your car will go into limp mode on highspeed runs. When it does, PM me in here.

How long have you had the vehicle?
Old 07-18-2018, 10:24 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

No nothing personal but I have seen this in threads before. Change the xpipe back it to stock it adds the least and causes the trouble. The BMS you want to use and the MAMO
you will be surprised. The dyno was just the Halltech and them I added the MAMO later and it feels really good but I'm done till my headers and new blower and 5 percent pully/balancer arrive them I'll get the tune!
So your dynograph is worthless to this thread as is shows a Haltech not a BMS filter. You then added a PTB but did not dyno. You only said it "feels really good". Nothing reproducible or factual in that graph that pertains to the BMS, MAMO, x-pipe question.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
when it gets cold, your car will go into limp mode on highspeed runs. When it does, PM me in here.

How long have you had the vehicle?
Sent you a PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Take it to the track and see what the trap speed is. That will give you an indication of how much power you are making. I would trust a time slip before a dyno.
The following 2 users liked this post by 383vett:
AZGASSER (07-18-2018), Mike Jesse (07-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-blower.html
Old 07-19-2018, 12:07 AM
AJNWI79
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

After doing a lot of research on this site I decided to add the following popular "warranty safe" no tune mods on my car in this order:

Borla X-Pipe with secondary cat delete
BMS Air Filter
Mamo Portal Throttle Body

I did a stock baseline dyno and after I added each mod separately I drove the car a few hundred miles to let the stock calibration adjust. The BMS Filter did throw a code which I was able to clear and it didn't come back. My 17 Z06 M7 is running the latest stock calibration offered by GM as of May 2018. I had the car dyno'd again on the same dyno and it's pretty much putting down the same power but now running pig rich. My first though is that GM has changed the OEM calibration significantly to over correct instead of letting things lean out. Looks like it might be game over for no tune mods on later Z06s. Thoughts?

Stock Red, Mods Green
Shocked the BMS guy isn't all over this thread like he is with competitor threads...

Halltech and Corsa X-pipe took me from 578 - 613 without a tune the OEM air box is a joke
Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AJNWI79
Shocked the BMS guy isn't all over this thread like he is with competitor threads...

Halltech and Corsa X-pipe took me from 578 - 613 without a tune the OEM air box is a joke
you are at higher altitude. At sea level, things are a different story, which is why i mentioned in my first post, if he were to go on a road trip and visit, you for instance, in your town, his car will have more power than it would, had it still been stock.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes in these cars WITH THE STOCK TUNE... than even the best tuners are still aware of.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-19-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!