A6 Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:43 PM
jruss361
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Shifting problems

Ken, Can you bring us up to date on the hard shifting and gear hunting on the 2006 A6 transmission? I understand there is a TSB out replacing the valve body on some cars.
How many cars does it effect? What build dates or VIN numbers or is it just a few random transmissions?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 PM
custom124
Advanced

i have the same problem
Old 12-26-2005, 07:01 PM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is Bob at Fichtner Chevrolet,

I have gone into our GM Service web site and find no bulletins for the A6 transmission. GM is closed today so I will call them tomorrow and see if I can come up with any specific information.

Bob
Old 12-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hello and thanks for your post.

I am sorry to have not replied sooner but I have been away from my office managing our service department for the entire month of December.

Here's what I found for you:

Document ID# 1712859
2006 Chevrolet Corvette

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0757 Set, Service Engine (SES) Lamp Illuminated, Poor Performance of Transmission, Transmission Slipping (Clean Transmission Valve Body and Case Oil Passages of Debris) #01-07-30-038C - (Oct 12, 2005)
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0757 Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated, Poor Performance of Transmission, Transmission Slipping (Clean Transmission Valve Body and Case Oil Passages of Debris)
2006 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

with 4L60-E/4L65-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30/M32)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and models and change the part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-038B (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• The SES lamp is illuminated.

• No 3rd and 4th gear.

• The transmission does not shift correctly.

• The transmission feels like it shifts to Neutral or a loss of drive occurs.

The vehicle free wheels above 48 km/h (30 mph). High RPM needed to overcome the free wheeling.

Cause
The most likely cause is chips or debris plugging the bleed orifice of the 2-3 shift solenoid (367). This will cause the transmission to stay in 2nd gear when 3rd gear is commanded and return to 1st gear when 4th gear is commanded.

DTC P0757 may also be set if the 2-3 shift valve (368) or 2-3 shuttle valve (369) were stuck, restricted and/or hung-up in its bore.

Correction
• Inspect/Clean the 2-3 shift valve (368), the 2-3 shuttle valve (369) and the valve bore of debris/metal chips.

• Inspect/Clean the 2-3 shift solenoid (367) opening of debris/metal chips. While inspecting the 2-3 shift solenoid (367), look for a screen over the solenoid opening. If the solenoid DOES NOT have a screen, replace the solenoid with P/N 24230298 that does have a screen over the solenoid opening.

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for additional diagnostic information and service procedures.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Valve, 2-3 Shift Solenoid

Warranty Information
For repairs performed under warranty, use the applicable published labor code and information.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:55 AM
jruss361
Racer

Thanks Ken,
To me this doesn’t sound like more then a few units from early production.
This was supposed to be a highly developed and quality controlled transmission. They even build them in a clean room. Still glad I purchased the extended warranty from you!
Really appreciate your time and effort.
Jim
Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 AM
shotist
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Hunt shift fix

There is a GM Document #1741321, dated Dec 9, 2005 talking about this problem and the fix. My dealer is supposed to have my new parts in today to fix mine. The complete valve body must be replaced.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:51 PM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken's bulletin was for the 4L60/4L65 trans. not the 6 speed. We caught that after he posted it.

I have called GM Tech assistance and they said they have only had a couple of complaints on file for harsh shifting. If your system has a code of PO756 or P1751 the dealer is to perform the operation in this document, or the following document.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Document ID# 1628971

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Module Assembly Cleaning
The control solenoid (w/body and TCM) valve assembly cleaning procedure is a specific software based routine, which resides in the TCM. This procedure is activated by the scan tool and is used to cycle the solenoids and valves in the control solenoid valve assembly in an attempt to dislodge debris and free up the valves after a performance diagnostic trouble code (DTC) has set. The transmission fluid is drained and refilled with new fluid, and then the cleaning procedure is performed. When the cleaning procedure is completed, the DTC enable criteria is run again, and retested to see if the DTC concern has been corrected.

Important: The fluid pan must be removed in order to drain the fluid.

Drain and refill the transmission fluid. Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid, Fluid Pan and/or Filter Replacement .
Operate the transmission to achieve 70°-90°C (158°-194°F).
With a scan tool, select the Service Cleaning Procedure. Initiate the cleaning procedure.
When the cleaning procedure is completed, shut OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1628971

Here is the other document #1741321 This is for busy shifting and also for P1751 also or PIP3649.

Document ID# 1741321

Automatic Transmission, Busy Shifting, MIL Illuminated, DTC P1751 - keywords 3-4 4-3 4-5 5-4 5-6 6-5 6L80 body busy fifth fourth MIL MYC sixth third valve valvebody #PIP3649 - (Dec 9, 2005)
Automatic Transmission, Busy Shifting, MIL Illuminated, DTC P1751
2006 Chevrolet Corvette

2006 Cadillac XLR-V and STS-V

2007 Cadillac Escalade

2007 GMC Yukon

Equipped with 6L80 (RPO - MYC) Automatic Transmission

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may experience busy or frequent up and down shifts in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear at approximately 30-50 mph. The MIL may also be illuminated and a DTC P1751 stored in the TCM.

Recommendation/Instructions:
These conditions may be caused by an undersized hole or debris in the control valve body spacer plate.

To correct this condition the control valve body spacer plate must be replaced. These parts are not currently available from GMSPO and must be obtained by contacting Technical Assistance. If the control valve body spacer plate is required a complete valve body assembly including TCM will be sent to the dealer at no charge.

Service Procedure
Refer to SI document # 1670458 - Control Valve Lower and Upper Body Replacement for the proper procedure. The TCM must be programmed after installation of the control valve body assembly, refer to SI document # 1466621 - Transmission Control Module Programming and Setup. Service Fast Learn Adapts must also be run, refer to SI document # 1688788 for that procedure.

Warranty Information
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

K9505
Valve Body Replace
1.5 hrs

add:
Diagnosis
0.0 - 0.3 hrs

This labor operation includes time to program the TCM and perform Service Fast Learn Adapts. The part will be shipped to the dealership at no charge, a parts handling allowance of $120.00 may be added to the warranty claim as a net item.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1741321
Old 12-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Here's the bulletin:

Document #1741321
Automatic Transmission, Busy Shifting, MIL Illuminated, DTC P1751 - keywords 3-4 4-3 4-5 5-4 5-6 6-5 6L80 body busy fifth fourth MIL MYC sixth third valve valvebody #PIP3649 - (Dec 9, 2005)
Automatic Transmission, Busy Shifting, MIL Illuminated, DTC P1751
2006 Chevrolet Corvette

2006 Cadillac XLR-V and STS-V

2007 Cadillac Escalade

2007 GMC Yukon

Equipped with 6L80 (RPO - MYC) Automatic Transmission

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may experience busy or frequent up and down shifts in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear at approximately 30-50 mph. The MIL may also be illuminated and a DTC P1751 stored in the TCM.

Recommendation/Instructions:
These conditions may be caused by an undersized hole or debris in the control valve body spacer plate.

To correct this condition the control valve body spacer plate must be replaced. These parts are not currently available from GMSPO and must be obtained by contacting Technical Assistance. If the control valve body spacer plate is required a complete valve body assembly including TCM will be sent to the dealer at no charge.

Service Procedure
Refer to SI document # 1670458 - Control Valve Lower and Upper Body Replacement for the proper procedure. The TCM must be programmed after installation of the control valve body assembly, refer to SI document # 1466621 - Transmission Control Module Programming and Setup. Service Fast Learn Adapts must also be run, refer to SI document # 1688788 for that procedure.

Warranty Information
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

K9505
Valve Body Replace
1.5 hrs

add:
Diagnosis
0.0 - 0.3 hrs

This labor operation includes time to program the TCM and perform Service Fast Learn Adapts. The part will be shipped to the dealership at no charge, a parts handling allowance of $120.00 may be added to the warranty claim as a net item.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:27 AM
eugenee326
Advanced

I have the problem also. I would call my problem 'hunting'. It occurs on easy to normal acceleration in the 1200 to 1800 rpm range. The transmission downshifts or freewheels then upshifts normally then repeats the process several times. It occurs whether in D or S.

Thanks for the bulletins Ken. Well, time for my first service visit to a Boca Raton, Florida area Chevy dealer. Any recommendations anyone?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:39 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default trans problem

I seem to have this problem but my car is a 2013 A6. it throws no indications on the DIC and the dealership could find no codes . It just happened again yesterday. I have my own scan tool and will check it in the morning . this is the 3 time it's done it , the other two times were 2 yrs ago . seems to happen on warm days (85-100) and after driving 4plus hours .

Checked this morning and NO codes , stored or current .

Last edited by 1Redctoo; 05-05-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: new information
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Jackson2048
5th Gear

Seem to have the similar problem

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Shifting problems

Quick Reply: A6 Shifting problems