Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car stereo questions.......Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 02:43 PM
C V
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stereo questions.......Need advice.

I stopped at a local audio shop today and asked about the factory Bose system. I asked questions, such as: can I replace the stock CD changer, or add or replace speakers, or add a sub-woofer for better sound? They answered "no" to all of those. They said each Bose speaker is (self-amplified?) and that all the components (head-unit, the 4 speakers, and the CD changer) are all made to work with each other. They said you can't add or exchange these parts at all. Is this true? They also quoted me a price to replace everything (Alpine head-unit, 4 speakers, sub-woofer, and amplifier) for around $ 1,900. Is this pretty good? Need help guys.
Thanks.

Old 10-09-2001, 03:44 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car stereo questions.......Need advice. (C V)

There are many things that can be done to improve the sound of the C5 without removing anything. Adding tweeters and/or a subwoofer will do a lot. If the system is loud enough for you, then the stock power is enough.

The installer you talked to knows nothing about the C5 system. He partially described the C4 system. Even the C4 system a can be added on to.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:45 PM
C V
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car stereo questions.......Need advice. (99HT)

99HT,

Thank you. The stock system is loud enough. I'm disappointed with the quality of the sound. I thought by changing my CD changer from stock to another one (Alpine, etc... - what do you recommend?) that it would improve on the sound quality. Is this true?

So just to be sure, I can add tweeters and a subwoofer to the stock set-up, and Bose will work fine with added components?

He made it very clear to me that I could not.

I do not want to change the head-unit if I can improve on sound quality another way. What do you suggest for a system upgrade for around $ 1,000?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate, and need your advice.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:17 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car stereo questions.......Need advice. (C V)

Do a search in the archives and on this page for upgrades. Every possible upgrade has been done and reported.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:43 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car stereo questions.......Need advice. (99HT)

For $1000, I would look for a sub box and a set of tweeters to start with. A popular one in the C5 is JL Audio as they have prefabs that drop right in and sound good from what I hear. I would go to another dealer that knows the car. Ask alot of questions like you did before. Also ask, how many C5verts have you worked on? Are you insured? Can you watch the installation? This may be tough to be quiet while they dismantle your car but it will make sure they do it correctly. How long has the current owner been there?
I would listen to several tweeters before buying one. Everyone has a different ear and what sounds good to me might be to bright or dull for you.
Hope this helps.
92TripleBlack :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Car stereo questions.......Need advice.

Quick Reply: Car stereo questions.......Need advice.