Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

double din in c3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM
mg267
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double din in c3?

so this might sound like a stupid question, but i have a 69 c3 which is relatively extensivley modified. i want to upgrade the stereo and entire sound system. right now it has the factory style radio with the two ***** and the metal frame that would have to be cut horizontally across to accomodate a single din in dash unit..

i also noticed that directly below this is only a piece of wood that forms the frame of the console that the previous owner fabricated on his own. (i know this is really confusing without pics, i will get them up as soon as i get back to my car, im out of town right now..)
anyway, i was thinking about cutting away some of this wood to accomodate a double din faced stereo.. anyone heard of anything like this before, or am i taking crazy pills??

thanks!
mg
Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I owned a 71 for about 23 years and had the console and guage panel out numerous times.
There is simply no room behind the face to accomodate the box behind the 2.0 Din face. I replaced the OE radio with several units over the years and barely had room for a larger Din 1.0.
If you want a touch screen, check with Crutchfield for an Ipod connector and use your Ipod or Iphone.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I am working on a bezel now for a C3

I dont know hwo its going to play out yet but have one from a later model C3 to mess with.

Will post pics of it when its done and see who would want the first one for free to see if this will work
Old 10-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to bring these super old threads back to life, but wanted to see if Double D had ever made any progress on this. The new apple carplay and android double din radios are amazing, and I would love to have one, but seems like a beast with the way that console is laid out.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
Hate to bring these super old threads back to life, but wanted to see if Double D had ever made any progress on this. The new apple carplay and android double din radios are amazing, and I would love to have one, but seems like a beast with the way that console is laid out.
did it but not something to really want to tackle again LOL. Your mounting depth is really bad and the Parrot Asteroid Smart was about the only option we could get into the car. We can make a bezel like this but the PArrot is the way to go unless you want it sticking out 3 more inches

Old 10-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work Double D. Yep. Looks like a nightmare. Even worse on my car I think since the ac controls are right where that pitches down.

Im not a fan of the single din pop-out type, so was hoping there was some solution out there.

Funny thing is I dont need any of the normal stuff that cause the need for a radio to be so deep. Dont want cassette (obviously), dont want CD player. Just want media player, GPS, bluetooth iphone sync, etc. The ipad is super thin...youd think someone would make a really shallow version that would fit in almost anything. Hmmmm...

Get notified of new replies

To double din in c3?

Quick Reply: double din in c3?