Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ROEM-VET1 vs Metra XSVI-2004

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 AM
VETLAG72
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ROEM-VET1 vs Metra XSVI-2004

ROEM-VET1 vs Metra XSVI-2004

Is there any reason either one is better than the other? I can get them for the same price.

Any recommendation?
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:26 PM
VETLAG72
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed the PAC, but the Metra looks like it might be a little cooler to me. For one thing, it retains the factory function of allowing the radio to continue to play after the ignition is turned OFF until one of the doors are opened. The PAC does not, insofar as I can tell. I also read that it provides a 12v switched power lead that the PAC does not, which means you won't have to tap into the 12v accessory wire (brown) under the ignition switch like the PAC device has to, For that reason alone, I would give the Metra a try if I were starting over. Sounds like an easier installation. After having drained my battery playing around with my new installation yesterday, I'm not so sure I want to listen to the radio with the ignition off, regardless so now that I've installed the PAC, I'm probably going to stick with it.

Last edited by JMc; 03-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
VETLAG72
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JMc
I just installed the PAC, but the Metra looks like it might be a little cooler to me. For one thing, it retains the factory function of allowing the radio to continue to play after the ignition is turned OFF until one of the doors are opened. The PAC does not, insofar as I can tell. I also read that it provides a 12v switched power lead that the PAC does not, which means you won't have to tap into the 12v accessory wire (brown) under the ignition switch like the PAC device has to, For that reason alone, I would give the Metra a try if I were starting over. Sounds like an easier installation. After having drained my battery playing around with my new installation yesterday, I'm not so sure I want to listen to the radio with the ignition off, regardless so now that I've installed the PAC, I'm probably going to stick with it.
Thanks! I ended up ordering the Metra. I'll post back when I get it installed about how it went
Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by forceU2tap
Thanks! I ended up ordering the Metra. I'll post back when I get it installed about how it went
Please do. Bear in mind that you're probably going to want to use the controls on it to fine tune the subs to your new head unit as I had to with the PAC. I'll also be curious to learn if the controls have any affect whatsoever on the rear speaker volume. If it's like my PAC, they will NOT. Just for adjusting the powered Bose subs, only...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
VETLAG72
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JMc
Please do. Bear in mind that you're probably going to want to use the controls on it to fine tune the subs to your new head unit as I had to with the PAC. I'll also be curious to learn if the controls have any affect whatsoever on the rear speaker volume. If it's like my PAC, they will NOT. Just for adjusting the powered Bose subs, only...
Well, I got the Metra and my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 today. I installed them, and the Metra is in fact plug and play as it does supply power to trigger the amps. Just like your PAC, the adjustment does nothing at all for the rear speakers.

Unfortunately I'm sending everything back! After an hour of fine tuning, it just doesn't have the base that the factory Bose unit did! The Kenwood did have better overall sound, but the lows just weren't there! I decided to stick with the stock until I can afford to replace the entire system and add an amp and sub
Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

prly in ur headunti settings, there is no reaosn u should have less bass
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Mickman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm planning on using the Metra as well, I hope this is just a mistake and you do not lose the bass.. as I can't see why it would do that?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
VETLAG72
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
prly in ur headunti settings, there is no reaosn u should have less bass
That's what I thought too! I would think the Kenwood would be fine, so I'm just wondering if the Metra is inferior??
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Well, here's something to keep in mind, regarding the bass. Was it a dramatic loss of bass? If so, does the HU have a separate control to trigger the antenna for radio only vs. antenna all the time? I don't know if you have a coupe or a vert, but I was pretty stunned when I set the antenna to raise for "radio only" and all my bass disappeared! Seems that the subs are on the same circuit as the antenna, so if you kill power to the antenna from the HU, you are also killing the power to the subs in the doors unless you wire things up differently, as someone kindly told me about in a different thread.

If you're turning those adjusting potentiometers all the way up on the Metra and it's having no effect, then you're not getting power to those subs for whatever wiring or switching reason there might be.

For what it's worth, I am REALLY pleased with the bass I'm getting from the Pioneer z110bt and PAC ROEM VET1 combo. But tuning the balance on those subs in an aftermarket setup like this is VITAL to getting a great sound out of your system.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Mickman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've talked to a couple guys on the forum who have used the Metra with no problems... I just ordered mine today, I'll let you guys know how it works out!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
VETLAG72
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mickman
I've talked to a couple guys on the forum who have used the Metra with no problems... I just ordered mine today, I'll let you guys know how it works out!
I'm curious to know. Now I'm 2nd guessing myself on if I should send the stuff back or not. I'd be one step closer for when I can afford the subs and amp...

I have 2 questions if anybody knows:

1) After I install an amp/sub and replace the rest of the speakers will I still need the Metra since I won't be using the Bose? Maybe I still need it for door chimes like some other cars??

2) Why doesn't the power light ever come on with the Metra? I've read about several other people saying the same thing?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You talked me into ordering the Metra. Dang you guys, stop spending my money....
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by VET_LAG
I'm curious to know. Now I'm 2nd guessing myself on if I should send the stuff back or not. I'd be one step closer for when I can afford the subs and amp...

I have 2 questions if anybody knows:

1) After I install an amp/sub and replace the rest of the speakers will I still need the Metra since I won't be using the Bose? Maybe I still need it for door chimes like some other cars??

2) Why doesn't the power light ever come on with the Metra? I've read about several other people saying the same thing?
all the metra is keeping is ur door subs so as soon as u decide to ditch them you dont need it, no chime issues

if u have no bass then ur bose amps arent turnin on
Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

You know, once this deal with the subs is sorted, I'm actually thinking of ditching the PAC I have (which is working great, BTW) in favor of the Metra, if someone can verify that the Metra does in fact provide RAP functions for the HU. In other words, you can turn the key off and remove it and still have power to the audio system for a time until one of the doors are opened like the stock AC Delco unit.

Because the Metra can be had for about fifty bucks and does all the other magic and the Accessory Valet is a hundred bucks and all it does is restore the RAP function to aftermarket HU's. So it appears that the Metra unit, for fifty bucks, performs the same functions as $150 worth of Top Down Technologies and PAC.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I never used the Metra, but have read posts on the forum that claim it does retain RAP, so does the 'hands on research' at Crutchfield

If your PAC is working to your satisfaction (other than RAP), you could just add a GMRAP. That's the one pentavolvo uses in C5 installs.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

why everyone uses the accesory valet is beyond me when the gmrap does the same for way less

Get notified of new replies

To ROEM-VET1 vs Metra XSVI-2004

Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Excellent. I had no idea that the GMRAP existed. A much better deal. I guess I will go ahead and order it, rather than pull out the ROEM-VET1 and install the Metra, but if I were doing this all over again, I think I would be inclined to try the Metra, since it does everything that's required when installing an aftermarket HU into a Bose system and can be found for around fifty bucks.

Thanks for the info on the GMRAP, guys. You guys rock. I didn't think I was going to miss that RAP function, but I do. I was able to find a new GMRAP on the auction site for less than $30 delivered. Sweet! Before pulling the trigger on it, I called my local audio installation place and asked if they had any. "Yeah, we do! They're $179". Uh, not from my wallet, they're not.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewdonald1
You talked me into ordering the Metra. Dang you guys, stop spending my money....
Alright guys, I ordered the Metra today from Crutchfield.
I'll give the old testmule a go and confirm how it works once Dennis finishes up my bezel.

I am hoping I will see the bezel for this weekend coming up, but I doubt it.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
streetz2481
1st Gear

Greetings to all the Corvette aficianados on this great forum..Need some info if possible..Purchased the Metra XSVI2004 and installed it a couple days ago..Problem is the light on the unit were u regulate the subs is not coming on (silver box) and the when I turn on the car there is no bass at all..tried wiring the hu power antenna and amp remote to blue amp power wire on the metra but no luck..on the manual is shows a blue antenna wire on the metra harness for antenna but no wire is on the metra harness that is blue only blue and white..can someone help me..Id hate to have to send everything back to crutchfield and maybe opt for the Roem vet1..thanks

Quick Reply: ROEM-VET1 vs Metra XSVI-2004