Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Possible JL Audio stealthbox upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Possible JL Audio stealthbox upgrade?

I have a JL Audio stealthbox in my 2006 C6 with the 10W3V2-D2 driver that came with it, any one know if a 10W6V2-D4 will swap out, and, if so, will there be a noticeable improvement in bass? I am powering the sub with a JL 500/1 amp. Plan to call JL tomorrow if no definitive answers from the Forum. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Purely from a physical size perspective, I'm pretty sure it won't work. The W6 is over an inch deeper, and the basket (frame) has almost no taper,compared to the W3.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Gadget01
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only practical option for more significantly more bass output vs what you have is to get a bigger sub. Swapping your 10" 4ohm for another 10" 2ohm might help some, but it's probably not worth it. The JL 13" slim sub and a new enclosure won't be a cheap upgrade but it will hit considerably deeper/louder vs a 10". The slim sub has very low airspace requirements, but it will be more power hungry. I'm planning on using one of these in my C5 a little later, perhaps when the price falls a bit more.

Also, if your amp is not fed with at least 4 gauge hot/ground cables, it might be starved for power.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Thank you for your responses. I called JL Audio tech support and was told "it might not fit because the 6 is an inch deeper, but then again it might fit just fine". I had my driver out and think an inch deeper would not be a problem, could make an inch thick ring to put between driver and enclosure and it would definitely fit. But not sure if the new combination would sound better, could easily sound worse. For around $290, it's not worth it to me. Really like the 13TW5 ($390), but would lose what little space is available in the hatch area.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Soooo... JL doesn't even know if one of their own subs will fit in a box with their name on it
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Correctamundo, or, if they do, and you know they do, they aren't saying. Mark, do you have any ideas for pumping up the base with the JL stealthbox? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
Soooo... JL doesn't even know if one of their own subs will fit in a box with their name on it
To be fair, they're not really selling a box, they're selling a subwoofer. I can't imagine they recommend swapping the driver out for another one, since (hopefully) they've optimized the airspace for the driver that it comes with. So why would they know if other drivers will fit?

Pretty much the same response you'd get from GM if you asked about adding the HUD to a 1LT Corvette.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin-vette
Correctamundo, or, if they do, and you know they do, they aren't saying. Mark, do you have any ideas for pumping up the base with the JL stealthbox? Thanks.
Playing with the settings is really all you can do. If your hu or amp have bass boost, try adjusting it up a bit, if not try tweaking the eq. Maybe even increase the gain on the sub channels of your amp.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are far more musical subs than what they offer, I have replaced a few with Arc subs and had much better results.

If me, I would sell the whole thing, get a Baltic Birch Plywood enclosure made and put a very good 10 or possibly 12 if you want even more bass.

Just my 43 years of experience 2 cents input

Rick
Old 08-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks everyone. I tinkered with the adjustments (thanks Mark) to no avail. So I ordered a JL Audio 13TW5-3 (thanks Gadget01) and I am working on the enclosure.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Gadget01
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin-vette
Thanks everyone. I tinkered with the adjustments (thanks Mark) to no avail. So I ordered a JL Audio 13TW5-3 (thanks Gadget01) and I am working on the enclosure.
You're welcome- however, my recommendation is a little bit theoretical since I don't already have one. I'm working on making a Polk 12" work out as a carryover from my previous vehicle and well, the JL isn't exactly a low-budget option. I'm convinced you'll be reasonably satisfied with the TW5, but if for some reason you're not, I would definitely consider buying it from you. Curious to see how your new enclosure develops.

Last edited by Gadget01; 08-20-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible JL Audio stealthbox upgrade?

Quick Reply: Possible JL Audio stealthbox upgrade?