Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Z06: 10" sub suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Shlongor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default 03 Z06: 10" sub suggestions?

TLDR: Looking for input on a set of 10" subs. The box is a bit vertically challenged, so lower height is preffered (something like JL 10w3v3s, but not overpriced and I don't need the wattage).

Just ordered the 2x 10" box from Subthump that goes in the recessed middle compartment of the trunk (previously used it to store my stock exhaust manifolds, but now I have a garage). I gleaned at the set that go into each side compartment, but quickly realized:

A) $600 is a tad much for 2 small sub boxes...
B) I don't have $600 to spend (okay I do, but I need some kind of emergency buffer, especially since I just had to buy a new motherboard and CPU, as apparently ASRock is ****ing garbage and the 12v CPU circuit melted for no damn reason, killing my old CPU with it)

I also picked up an Alpine MRP500 amp for $130 on Amazon (compared to $200 on Crutchfield and basically everywhere... really???) Though not a "beast" amp, it's better than what I had for my setup in my old 90 Supra, and I loved the bass in that thing. Could get loud enough inside to permanently damage your ears (if you're into that sort of thing?) or have good quality of the bass hits. The kicker was that you couldn't hear (actually, more like "feel") me from 2 blocks away (11 years of driving semi-noticeable---noticeable cars with full exhaust without any kind of ticket, ever.. I'd like to hold onto this dream as long as I can).

I recently (okay like last May) noticed that I have an amp under the passenger seat and decent non-factory speakers all around (can turn up the volume, maintaining listening quality, higher than I can stand). Looking for input on a set of 10" subs. The box is a bit vertically challenged, so lower height is preffered (something like JL 10w3v3s, but not overpriced and I don't need the wattage).
Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I used two Audiobahn AWP-310 Pro Compression subs backed by an MTX 1501d amplifier on 12 volts. 14 volts would push over 1000 watts and what I have now, is just insane....The subs are old. About 7 years old and still slamming. The speakers are 10" and weigh about 50 pounds each.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 09-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 Z06: 10" sub suggestions?