Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Focal TNK Tweeter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Focal TNK Tweeter question

I have TNK tweeters that came with a Focal 165KR component kit. These component speakers will replace the stock Bose door speaker systems. The Focal kit's installation instructions are confusing me.

I plan to flush-mount the tweeters on door adapter plates (that replace the stock mid-range/tweeters). The questions is, how do I mount the tweeters?

The instruction book has a diagram which shows each tweeter in its three component pieces: a tweeter screen, the speaker itself, and a speaker housing. And the book indicates the tweeter should be taken apart so that a mounting bracket can be screwed into the bottom of the speaker housing. Of course, the speaker housing does not have a hole in the indicated place, which only further confuses me.

Try as I might I am unable to figure out HOW to take the tweeter apart. It surely looks like the three subcomponents (described above) have been molded into a single unit that cannot be dis-assembled.

What am I missing?

I plan to drill a 1 3/4" hole in the adapter plate so that the tweeters can be flush mounted. But I am stumped to figure out a way (other than screwing the mounting bracket to the back of the adapter plate)to permanently afix the tweeter to that adapter plate.

I feel profoundly stupid.

The Lizzard
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The metal screen covered portion (the speaker itself with the wires attached) pops out of the plastic surround. You may have to twist it to release clips, then push from underneath using something to fit through the slots.

Once apart insert a screw threads first from the top of the plastic surround going through the center hole (top part of screw is hidden under the speaker). Drop the surround into the plate hole and use the metal bracket to hold it in place by tightening the screw into it.

Once the surround is mounted feed the wire through and snap the speaker back in.

Once installed you can change the angle of the speaker inside the surround.

Some pics stolen from the net:

Surround piece with speaker removed...

The metal bracket...

Put together...

Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Mark.

Unfortunately, my TNK tweeters aren't really similar to the tweeters in your picture. Each speaker sits in a metal (not plastic) case, or tub, the screen doesn't seem to want to budge, and I have had no luck trying to twist the speaker/screen to loosen it. Additionally, the metal bracket that came with the speakers is a pure "C" shape - just fractionally wider than the back of the tub (but not wide enough to rest on the adapter plate). It is, consequently, useless.

After several attempts I quit trying to force the speaker out of its tub. So I went another route - I intentionally cut the hole in the adapter plate (to flush mount the tweeter) just an RCH wider than the tub. This forced me to squeeze (almost press) the speaker into that hole, using silicon as a lubricate during the process. Then I siliconed the small open seems in the back of the tub. That tweeter isn't going anywhere, I got the flush mount I wanted and I didn't risk ruining a tweeter in the process.

I am hopeful that sound/vibration won't loosen the tub, but only time (and great tunes played loudly) will tell. If worse comes to worse, I will JB Weld a flat bracket to the back of the tub and screw that bracket into the adapter plate.

Thanks again.

The Lizzard
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM
tbar1963
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The tweeters came with a plastic removal tool...looks like a big C..push the tool into the tweeter from the front at 12 and 6 o'clock and turn slightly to remove..took me a minute to figure that one out myself...nothing in the instructions...tom
Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbar1963
The tweeters came with a plastic removal tool...looks like a big C..push the tool into the tweeter from the front at 12 and 6 o'clock and turn slightly to remove..took me a minute to figure that one out myself...nothing in the instructions...tom
I am having the same issue with a set of tweeters that came with my Focal KRX2 components, but I don't see any plastic C-shaped tool for removing the metal case? I had decided I was going to have to push it through the adapter like Lizzard.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:29 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Caspase-9
I am having the same issue with a set of tweeters that came with my Focal KRX2 components, but I don't see any plastic C-shaped tool for removing the metal case? I had decided I was going to have to push it through the adapter like Lizzard.
I had good luck with that install. Subsequently I moved my tweeters to the A-pillar (using leather-wrapped A-pillars sourced from Double D Mods - thanks Denis). This gives a better sound because the sound waves from the door-mounted tweeters were pointed in a direction that essentially buried them in the car's interior.

The Lizzard

Get notified of new replies

To Focal TNK Tweeter question

Quick Reply: Focal TNK Tweeter question