Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad to hear that things are still moving along!
Still watching to see how you eventually make out with the HD Radio.
So have you moved up to the AppRadio4 or still using your original AppRadio?
Hope your overseas trip goes well.
Looking forward to more updates when you return.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Glad to hear that things are still moving along!
Still watching to see how you eventually make out with the HD Radio.
So have you moved up to the AppRadio4 or still using your original AppRadio?
Hope your overseas trip goes well.
Looking forward to more updates when you return.

Sorry.. been back since Dec 20th, but busy since.

I am using a AppRadio2. I have seen the Android NU3001 unit from China for $319 ($376 shipped) it is android 4.4 it is pure android, I am very tempted to buy it an use it in place of the AppRadio, but I think I might just replace the Android Stick with one with a battery that will hold time. Then I don't need to always hotspot my phone to update time

Thinking the updated stick might be the best option. as I have it set up to pipe the HDTuner audio through the app radio.. which I am not sure I can do with the android unit I mentioned

That is all for now

Side note, my trip was good, long flights.. but all was good
Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Welcome back Jeff. Glad the trip went well.
Looking forward to more progress updates once the holidays are out of the way!
Still really interested on how the HDTuner setup goes. Really interested in getting one of those in my car.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Welcome back Jeff. Glad the trip went well.
Looking forward to more progress updates once the holidays are out of the way!
Still really interested on how the HDTuner setup goes. Really interested in getting one of those in my car.
Yeah, sort of stuck now.. I realized the App radio solution will have issues with the control cables installed (it will prompt and might cause issues for connecting the stick for touch)

the Newsmy NU3001 is on sale for $340 and is pure android, will fit in my dash and allows for a back-up camera and has USB Host support.. basically like the Nexus 7 in the dash but a few more features and for me a better fit.. I might bite the bullet and buy one.. put it in the car and be done.. then I don't have to contend with the OS of App radio then the android OS

still reading through the XDA thread on the NU3001
Old 12-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

I'm still hoping to be able to use the tablet.
I need to go back and check up on the status of AutoDroid. It's probably been almost 2 months since I've checked on that. Hopefully it is still alive.
It's too bad that the China unit doesn't have an HD Tuner onboard. Then you'd be set!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I'm still hoping to be able to use the tablet.
I need to go back and check up on the status of AutoDroid. It's probably been almost 2 months since I've checked on that. Hopefully it is still alive.
It's too bad that the China unit doesn't have an HD Tuner onboard. Then you'd be set!!!
True, but it should work with my HDTuner.. I want to just order that unit. but i want to do 2 more tests on the appradio tonight.. if those don't work then I may just order it
Old 12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Looks like I might go the Android Headunit route.. I am having issues with the ARUR program connecting to the App Radio to get touch working on power up..

With the Android headunit it is pure android, no interfacing or anything.. just need to decide if I want to pull the trigger on it.. UGH
Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Decisions, decisions!!!
At least it's nice to have the option if you decide to take it!
Relax, have a beverage and think about it! That's half the fun!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

YEah but the Sale is almost over for it

USB-ROM for Nexus 7 no longer supported

Auto-Droid - sounds like there is no support either anymore

I was going to install Auto-droid tonight and see if it works..

If I skip the HD tuner altogether I think I can make the App Radio work..

But the pure android sounds nice too, but the $450 ( including shipping) is keeping me from it

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 12-30-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Yeah. The price for the Android head unit is a bit steep. For me the main concern would be support and how inconvenient it would be if it needed to be returned for some reason. There doesn't seem to be one perfect Android solution. Every one has some issues to contend with.
It seem like many have been having good luck with AutoDroid, mostly folks that seem to have a good understanding of Android....which I don't. If you do give it a try please keep us posted on how it goes. The nice thing is that it's free to try!!!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:27 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Yeah I need to get autodroid flashed on my tablet but not having any luck
Old 12-31-2014, 06:17 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Okay I was able to get Auto Droid installed.. nice ROM, not sure it is supported anymore either.. but I have it on there, I like it a bit better just because it is kitkat based.. I am testing it for power off right now. I have yet to connect it to the DAC, I do know the Tuner should work and I am thinking about relocating the tuner to a compartment behind the drivers seat.. since I have to replace the antenna wiring might take advantage of having the interior apart.

I am doing a custom upgrade though.. I am modifying a set of Base C4 Seats and doing this color scheme

Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

It sure didn't take you long to get that ROM installed!!! That's encouraging. I'm a real novice when it comes to Android and I've been too uncomfortable even trying to do any rooting. Your initial success is encouraging at least. Please keep us posted on your trials with AutoDroid. It seems quite capable for a car install. Lack of support probably won't matter to me since I doubt I'll be looking to make any changes if I'm able to get the tablet installed and working for radio and playing mp3 files. Beyond that all I think I'll need is GPS which I hope won't be an issue.
Oh...and those seats look AWESOME!!!
Good luck and Happy New Year Jeff!!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:46 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Looks like I might go the Android Headunit route.. I am having issues with the ARUR program connecting to the App Radio to get touch working on power up..

With the Android headunit it is pure android, no interfacing or anything.. just need to decide if I want to pull the trigger on it.. UGH
Did you find out whether the Android HU I installed can serve as a USB Host?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:27 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by bjmsam
Did you find out whether the Android HU I installed can serve as a USB Host?
It is not usb host capable. I looking at the tablet and app radio install. The tablet with auto droid seems nice the new hd tuner app works at controlling volume. Which helps for the tablet install, although I have an idea for volume control (physical buttons) to tie into the tablet. Also considering a power button too.

I will be moving the tuner and power supply to another location in the car since the interior will be out. The tuner is on the bench again so I can test things out.

Need to try some things with the app radio although having the communication connects may cause issues
Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

So the HDTuner still has issue when the Tablet goes to sleep and the wakes.. I usually have to kill the tuner app to get it working correctly.

I tested my App Radio with the HD Tuner, I run into issues connecting the Touch (using ARUr) if the HD Tuner or the ALDL is connected on power up.

But I found the 'hack' I have for the HDTuner with the App Radio will work. I will not have audio from the iPod, but that is okay.. I am using the iPod to access the iPod audio input, but I am piping the HD tuner out in to that.. it works quite well to push it through to the App Radio output.

Now I have an idea for the app radio install with some buttons in the bezel. I think I have a way that I can have 4 buttons on the bezel for the following:
- Antenna
- Amps
- HD Tuner
- ALDL

Not sure I NEED the amps there, might bury that one in the console..

Anyway I think adding switches will be fine, make sit clean and then I can turn the functions on and off as I need..

I just have to figure out stencils for the buttons
Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I think I have some ideas for installs and honestly I am still thinking about the Android Head Unit (I found it for under $400 shipped)

anyway.. check THIS out:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...TjQ&authuser=0

(that talking in the background are my kids)

I made a basic program for Arduino to use some buttons cut out of a broke C4 radio, sot he buttons will MATCH the dash..

I also have another program I was messing with if I use my Tablet, it controls volume on the tablet, although needs some tweaking if I go that route)

lastly my messy test bench:

Get notified of new replies

To Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

So I ordered the Android Unit from china..

Going to see how well is works for me
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

So you've made the big step!! It's going to be interesting to see your results with the Android unit!! It's a nice looking unit and you got one of the best prices I've seen!
I like the idea of using the matching buttons from the C4 radio. Keeps it stock/factory looking which is great IMHO. Nice work...as always.
Wonder how long it will take for the new head unit to arrive??? I can hardly wait.....
Old 01-08-2015, 11:15 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I did and you know reading the super long thread on XDA, I am glad I bought it.. I think it will work just as I want and I was told the aux-in will work while using other Android apps so that fixes my external volume issue for the HDTuner..

The Headunit has an external Android box, that I will remote mount and run cables to it. I will put it in the driver side storage box.. it will be hidden yet accessible

need to work on my custom button arrangement now too

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4