Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

I just replaced the AM/FM, CD, GPS Touchscreen Navigation w/ NAV DVD, GM 15791220 in my 2007 Z06 2LZ with a Pumpkin GS-C0219 (nee JY-C0227) 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Android Double-Din 6.2" Capacitive Touchscreen Navigation Head Unit with Bluetooth, Wifi, DVD, DVR, etc.

I also installed a Crimestopper SV-6819EM 170 Degree Embedded Style CMOS Color Back-up Camera with Rotating Lens. Here are a few notes and photos for others who might be interested in doing similar.

I found this Center Console and Radio Bezel Removal guide very helpful. There is no need to be intimidated!

I used the PAC Radio Pro 5 Radio Replacement Interface (RP5-GM11) for compatibility with OnStar and the Bose amp. Cut the ISO plug off of the new head unit (HU) harness and connect the wires to those of the same color from the PAC harness (I used solder and shrink tubing). There is no dedicated amplifier trigger wire, so connect the HU red ACC wire to the PAC red ACC wire and the PAC blue/white AMP wire. Use double-sided tape to adhere the GPS antenna to the top of a center vent (or use an adapter to connect the stock GPS antenna, which looks the same and is just to the left of that location). Use a screwdriver to turn down the chime speaker module volume and make sure that module ends up in an accessible location for later adjustment.

The PAC has two types of steering wheel control (SWC) connections; a mini phono jack and a single blue/yellow wire. It also has a 10-position switch that determines SWC signal compatibility with mainstream HUs. This HU has two wires labeled KEY1 and KEY2 and according to the documentation works with only resistive signals like the Corvette's (see Volume 1 of the shop service manual for schematic). I tried the single wire, and I cut off the phono jack and tried the red and white wires, and I tried all ten switch settings, but nothing worked and I couldn't make sense of the PAC SWC signals with my multimeter. I solved it by cutting the yellow and green/white wires from the PAC that correspond to the purple (6) and dark blue (7) wires from the car and connecting them to the KEY1 and GND leads from the HU. The HU immediately recognized the buttons and made it easy to map them to the desired functions (my 1-6 button now controls mute).

So, to recap:

Originally Posted by bjmsam
The PAC harness brings its power in on the yellow wire and loops it back out on pin 6 to power the car SWC (purple wire on the car side of the connector). I believe yellow is constant power rather than switched, so I didn't care for that approach anyway (why energize the car SWC resistor tree when the ignition is off?). Cut that loop and connect the outbound yellow wire on pin 6 to the KEY1 wire. The SWC circuit becomes:

HU KEY1 <--> connector side PAC yellow pin 6 <--> car SWC purple pin 6 (+)
HU GND <--> connector side PAC green/white pin 7 <--> car SWC dark blue pin 7 (-)
Since the head unit supports SWC natively and the SWC section of the RP5-GM11 is bypassed, those who follow can go with a cheaper interface as suggested here:

Originally Posted by Trios
The OS-2X from PAC is over $100 less, still retains Bose (and works without it, too!), RAP, Onstar, etc; and doesn't include the SWC that we don't need.
For the camera, connect the power and ground to the passenger-side reverse lamp wiring. Reach in from the exhaust side to twist out the bulb socket, pop the wire routing clip out for more length, remove a few screws from the under body panel behind the rear tire and pull the socket through so there is room to work on it. Drill a hole behind the inner brake light, feed the wire through and seal with silicone (or a grommet). Remember to run the RCA wire up through the center console before snapping that back in place.

The Metra 95-3304 Double DIN Installation Kit has a 173mm x 97mm opening that must be modified to fit the 178mm x 102mm HU bezel. To do this I used a caliper and masking tape to mark 3mm from each side. I then used a rotary tool with my largest cut-off wheel on medium-low speed to trim away the excess. For the bottom I used a sharp utility knife to slice through from the back at the first corner. The top I left alone. It turned out nicely.

I am really pleased with this HU. It is very high quality, integrated well with my car, and can run any Android app I want. My favorite so far is Torque, which offers real-time monitoring of my car via an OBDLink MX. I should also mention that delivery took only four business days, and the seller replied to my questions within 12 hours (I couldn't figure out the navigation volume mixing settings, so they hooked one up and took photos to show me what to do).

Last edited by bjmsam; 04-18-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added Trios' suggestion to use cheaper PAC interface
The following 3 users liked this post by bjmsam:
dslwizard (01-10-2019), TMODcustoms (04-08-2018), Trios (05-04-2016)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:45 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

That seems like a nice little unit
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

What camera is that, and how did you mount it? I was told there is a grommet on the back wall. Why does everyone drill a hole if there is a factory grommet already there?
The following users liked this post:
skar (02-08-2016)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
That seems like a nice little unit
I'm really impressed with it, and the support offered by the seller half-way around the world.

Originally Posted by bartsky
What camera is that, and how did you mount it? I was told there is a grommet on the back wall. Why does everyone drill a hole if there is a factory grommet already there?
I also installed a Crimestopper SV-6819EM 170 Degree Embedded Style CMOS Color Back-up Camera with Rotating Lens.
Drill a hole behind the inner brake light, feed the wire through and seal with silicone (or a grommet).
I used a file to enlarge the existing hole for the license plate light just enough to snugly slide in the camera, which can also be secured with silicone. Remove the tail light to see the large grommet through which an existing wire cluster enters the cabin. I opted against puncturing it since it would be harder to seal a rubber tear than a small plastic hole.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

That makes sense! Very nice install...
Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 AM
bjmsam
Pro

The Metra 95-3304 Double DIN Installation Kit has a 173mm x 97mm opening that must be modified to fit the 178mm x 102mm HU bezel. To do this I used a caliper and masking tape to mark 3mm from each side. I then used a rotary tool with my largest cut-off wheel on medium-low speed to trim away the excess.
This is exactly what I did:

dslwizard (01-10-2019)
Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Klaus-96
2019 Z06 2LZ A8 Coupe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Very cool!

Does the unit have Google Maps for Navigation?
Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by Klaus-96
Very cool!

Does the unit have Google Maps for Navigation?
Yes, but since Google Maps is a web app, it would require cellular service with a data plan (via smart phone or the HU's connection for a 3G dongle) to update the map as you drive. There are many Android navigation apps that use maps stored on the SD card; this HU came with iGO as the default, which is light-years ahead of the stock HU's navigation system.

Google Maps:

iGo:

Last edited by bjmsam; 07-21-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM
jachin99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks pretty nice, how does the obdlink MX work? I have the LX and its giving me problems.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 AM
bjmsam
Pro

I bought mine used on eBay for $80 and it works great! The OBDLink software had a bug that prevented pairing, but it was corrected quickly (thread here; it was pretty sweet to receive the debug version via GMail, watch the logs get Emailed back to the developer, and ultimately receive a working patch, all on a "car stereo").
Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 PM
blackzo6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but since Google Maps a web app, it would require cellular service with a data plan (via smart phone or the HU's connection for a 3G dongle) to update the map as you drive. There are many Android navigation apps that use maps stored on the SD card; this HU came with iGO as the default, which is light-years ahead of the stock HU's navigation system.
What are the options for connecting a cell phone to the head unit. Can you use Bluetooth or wifi so the head unit can be online?
Old 07-20-2014, 03:23 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by blackzo6
What are the options for connecting a cell phone to the head unit.
Phones can be connected via Bluetooth, wi-fi, USB and iPhone connector.
There is also a dedicated USB connection for a 3G dongle (see ad).

Originally Posted by blackzo6
Can you use Bluetooth or wifi so the head unit can be online?
Yes, and it can serve as a wi-fi hot spot to network-enable other devices in the car as well.

Last edited by bjmsam; 07-20-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: forgot one
Old 07-20-2014, 06:00 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Makes me want to remove my nexus 7 for this.. but can this be a USB host? I use a datalogger on my Nexus with USB host capabilities..
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Makes me want to remove my nexus 7 for this.. but can this be a USB host? I use a datalogger on my Nexus with USB host capabilities..
The USB Host Check app reports the following:

I did not attempt to enable it because my device isn't rooted and I don't need this capability. If you send the seller a note I'm sure you will receive a prompt response.

Speaking of logging, here is a shot of one of my gauge dashboards in Torque:

Here is a track from today exported to Google Earth:

I hope to try this soon:

DashCommand works, too.

...except for the Skid Pad, perhaps because the car's accelerometers are inaccessible via the OBD2 port?

Originally Posted by Jason Smith
OBD II is for components that will effect emission levels such as MAF, HO2S, CTS, MAP, etc. The steering wheel sensor, yaw rate sensor and the lateral accelerometer are used primarily for traction control. That is why you will only find these system codes in the TCS diagnostic portion in your drivers information center.

Last edited by bjmsam; 07-27-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: DashCommand
dslwizard (01-10-2019)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Cool unit. Just not sure I want to switch the headunit again.. LOL
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Yeah, I really hope this is one I can grow in to rather than out of for the foreseeable future. I had extra gauges and modules all over the cockpit of my last car (AFR, EGT, MAP, knock, navigation, radar detection, etc.), but for this one I would much rather have everything displayed and controlled via the HU. So far so good!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Yeah, I really hope this is one I can grow in to rather than out of for the foreseeable future. I had extra gauges and modules all over the cockpit of my last car (AFR, EGT, MAP, knock, navigation, radar detection, etc.), but for this one I would much rather have everything displayed and controlled via the HU. So far so good!
Yeah, I have basically the same functions with my tablet but no disc player

but I have about everything else:

current set-up:

Get notified of new replies

To Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Looks great! And you did a nice job documenting it all in your thread.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

You did a nice job on the install
Old 07-30-2014, 05:58 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Answers to questions received via PM:
I am really interested in the Android unit. Are you still happy with it?

How did the purchase go? I am concerned about customs.

Any other words of wisdom? How is the heat output?
I love it! It was a typical eBay sale and arrived via DHL with no customs tariffs or delays. The seller communicates promptly and has a much better command of English than I do of Cantonese. I noticed no heat when testing it for 30-45 minutes before completing the installation, which is not surprising since the internal amplifier is under no load (the car's stock Bose amp powers the speakers). The fan either did not kick in or was too quiet to notice.

There are many Android head units for sale, but beware of cheaper examples that have an older, single-core CPU, less memory, a lower resolution display, etc. If you intend to run datalogging apps like I do, be advised that it lacks the internal accelerometers commonly found in handheld devices to detect display rotation; that is obviously not a factor for a fixed display mounted in the dash, but inconvenient considering the Vette's accelerometers are inaccessible via OBD2. Oh, and I found out only after installing everything that my local Best Buy would have done it for $100 plus $80 to modify the trim kit - doh!

Such innovative engineering and open source compatibility makes it increasingly difficult to justify purchasing a proprietary mainstream head unit even if it were possible to do so at near the same price point. I am convinced that this is the future of mobile audio (Apple agrees and is releasing CarPlay to compete with Android).

Icing on the cake: my stock head unit just sold on eBay for over $400!

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation