Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Rear speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Zoidman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C5 Rear speaker upgrade

Hello!

I am thinking about upgrading my rear speakers for my 2000 C5 coupe with JL Audio C2-650X speakers, and Metra 72-4568 adapters

Is this a drop in replacement, and can my stock system power these speakers?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Any 4ohm speaker is a direct replacement, but gain will be minimal with stock radio. Highs will be better, but it won't get any louder.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Zoidman
Instructor

Thanks for the reply!

For my tastes the current system seems to get plenty loud (so far).

I haven't been able to settle on the front speakers yet but I've been looking at this adapter
C5 Front door speaker adapter C5 Front door speaker adapter
Which lets me install a 6.5 inch speaker in the front doors.

I was debating getting two sets (4 speakers total) of the kicker DS65 or CS65 because they are much cheaper than the JL Audio speakers. Is there much of a difference between the JL speakers and the Kicker ones?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Personally, I like the sound quality of the JL's better. I would chose the C2 or C5-650's. which ever you do put up front you should definitely up the amps on them. The stock amplifier won't give the aftermarket speakers enough juice to let them perform their best. The rears, if you go with rear fill, can be powered with the stock head unit power.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

front improves with replacing the 3.5" twiddlers, if you did this and the rears you would improve the highs

the c2s are as much as i would spend for this upgrade, only so good it's going to get with the factory amp. the kicker ks or ds line would probably be what i would do, 1/2 the price of jl and with the limited oem amps i doubt there would be much of an sq difference

if you want more low end, something like a JL 6w3v3 blends really well with the oem amps where you don't require much in the way of output. this of course would require running a seperate amp
Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Zoidman
Instructor

Are any of the three way speakers worth while in the front doors?

To be honest I'm rather disappointed with the low end output of the factory speakers, but don't have the budget yet for an amp and subwoofer yet, thus why I'm looking for drop in replacements
Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Then you're probablly better off waiting till you could afford to do it right.
If you get cheap speakers for the front powered with the stock amp you're not going to be happy. Totally forget about 3 ways with the stock power.
Wait till you can get some good components( with nice low, midrange) and an amp or get a sub down the road and amp with a 4 chn amp.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If you're unhappy with the bass, then you should just plan on a new sub also.

Figure out where you'd eventually like to end up and try to only buy things that your final version will need.

Just as an example:
- sub w/box for $120
- 5 channel amp $150
- door components $140
- rear coaxials $?
- AOEM-Vet1 $40
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoidman
Are any of the three way speakers worth while in the front doors?

To be honest I'm rather disappointed with the low end output of the factory speakers, but don't have the budget yet for an amp and subwoofer yet, thus why I'm looking for drop in replacements
there's really two ways to do it

spend $100 and upgrade the 3.5s and 5.25s with something cheap.

or

get an adapter for the OE deck and or another headunit

then get an amp or two and real components for the doors and better 5.25s for the rear along with a sub. you can use a 10" for the sub, but, it will eat up all your storage space. you can corner fit an 8" pretty easily but cost goes up due to custom fab boxes.

the prices that one guy listed above would be either low end or great deals on used.

realistically, even if you're savvy

front components $200-300
rear 5.25s $100-150
amps are a wildcard, anywhere between 100-500 depending on what you want

a used 10w6v2 would cost around 200, box 100, or a scan speak discovery or seas L26 would be about 250 new

8s there is a little less to choose from. the 8w3v3 does well in small boxes, but, it doesn't really dig deep, good output though. i have one in a corner box i fabbed up. i have a like/hate relationship with it. if you don't mind losing the center storage space a good 10 is going to be able to hit lower since you're able to use more box volume and a bit more cone area.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Zoidman
Instructor

Thanks markcz for the list, that helped with sorting through some of the things I've been looking at.
I'm going to start with buying the JL C2's for the rear, and maybe 3.5 inch C2's for the front after I install the rears.

Rather than getting a separate sub and amp, wouldn't it be a bunch easier (and cheaper) to simply get something like the Infinity BassLink?

I've heard good things about it on the forums, and the reviews are very positive. It gives a little oomff to the bass without rattling the neighborhood and provides a bit more power to the speakers! Seems like a win win...?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Sc3KPz1...-BassLink.html
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

A real sub sounds MUCH better than one of those. For $270 you could do sub + 5 channel amp compared to $210 for just the basslink.

The stock door subs are worthless once you get something for the trunk, so I wouldn't get the 3.5's. After adding the sub you can do amped components in the doors, that's where the real improvement comes from

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Rear speaker upgrade

Quick Reply: C5 Rear speaker upgrade