Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fake Focals or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 AM
Caspase-9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fake Focals or not?

I recently purchased some Focal Krx2 components off eBay from an on-line stereo shop in Germany (ARS24). The speakers cost significantly less that the US suggested MSRP ($550 versus $1,200), and they arrived safe and sound. The company has a very strong eBay sellers rating; however, after seeing a few older comments on the web re: fake chinese Focals from other vendors, I became a little concerned. Some images from the web suggested that the serial numbers were etched into the magnet on the bottom of the speaker, but in my case, the serial numbers are present in the black strip separating the cone from the foam on the front of the speaker and, in addition to the Focal insignia and etched name on the front the speaker, 165KRX2 is also etched into the front metal rim. The speakers (woofer and tweeter) are quite heavy and appear to be very well made with no obvious glue flaws, etc. Can anyone confirm that these speakers are legitimate? I also bought a set of 130 KRC speakers for rear fill, so if they are fakes, I need to contact eBay/PayPal and get my money back. Thanks.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Caspase-9; 02-20-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/war...ay-and-online/

As far as I know, the serial number is suppose to be etched on the magnet. But I can't be sure if those are fake or not.

You can also send an email to warranty@focal-america.com with your serial number and they can verify.

Edit: I just read on Focal's website on where the serial numbers are located.

"K2 Power: on box, and engraved on the magnet. "

Since your serial numbers are not on the magnet, it is looking more and more like a fake.

Last edited by Homer3D; 02-17-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

Focal America just responded to an earlier email and the serial number is indeed located in the correct position. This is apparently a more recent change, and I assume in response to previous fakes. It's probably harder to fake a serial number embedded into the cone ring than etching it in the back. I feel pretty confident at this point that they are legit, but welcome any additional input.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Well that’s good if they are real because you got a really good deal. They should update their website with the new location of the serial number. I haven’t been keeping up with car audio products like I was a couple of years ago so I am a little out of touch.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Well that’s good if they are real because you got a really good deal. They should update their website with the new location of the serial number. I haven’t been keeping up with car audio products like I was a couple of years ago so I am a little out of touch.
Hope so. I guess the true test will be testing them out. I've got a McIntosh 4x100w amp to drive them all and am trying to decide a new HU (Pioneer AVH-4100NEX or Alpine iLX-007) and subwoofer package.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:52 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I would say they are Fake

Here is a real authentic 165KRC Focal Coax I pulled from shelf to show you
The reason they put the serial number now on the cone is so when people post pics of the speakers Focal can read the serial numbers and see for one if someone is selling them below MAP and two who the speakers were sent to.
Also
Focal does not allow authorized dealers to sell for less than MAP anywhere online including EBAY for that matter.

Last edited by Double D Mods; 02-19-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

this might help you as well
Old 02-19-2015, 06:05 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

also just note these are a 2ohm component as well
Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
this might help you as well
I saw this on the net, but my packaging boxes appear to be real, or least they do not show the misspelled "impedance" or lack of space between 2-ohm. The packaging (styrofoam) looks identical to that I've seen on the net.

I emailed Focal America and they said the serial number was located in the proper position, and then I emailed Focal France, gave them images of the serial numbers on my box, speakers, and card (which all match) and got the following reply this morning:

"Good morning,

What we can tell you today is that ARS24 is not an official dealer and to buy a product oversea brake your relationship to have support (help installation warranty) from our AMERICAN distributor.

Sorry sir to be rough for a first contact with our brand but our distributors network invest a lot all over the world to be Focal’s ambassador.

They establish the rules with their dealer network and manage the support, marketing, supply chain after sales etc so like a real company for their own market.

Thanks for your understanding
Best regards"

I am not sure how to take this; if they were genuine fakes, wouldn't they have just told me they are fakes? The email reads more like a reprimand than a denial. Again, when I purchased the speakers, I had no idea that Focal had an issue with selling speakers on-line. I just saw what looked like a good deal and went for it. Now, I am not sure what to do?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Caspase-9
I saw this on the net, but my packaging boxes appear to be real, or least they do not show the misspelled "impedance" or lack of space between 2-ohm. The packaging (styrofoam) looks identical to that I've seen on the net.

I emailed Focal America and they said the serial number was located in the proper position, and then I emailed Focal France, gave them images of the serial numbers on my box, speakers, and card (which all match) and got the following reply this morning:

"Good morning,

What we can tell you today is that ARS24 is not an official dealer and to buy a product oversea brake your relationship to have support (help installation warranty) from our AMERICAN distributor.

Sorry sir to be rough for a first contact with our brand but our distributors network invest a lot all over the world to be Focal’s ambassador.

They establish the rules with their dealer network and manage the support, marketing, supply chain after sales etc so like a real company for their own market.

Thanks for your understanding
Best regards"

I am not sure how to take this; if they were genuine fakes, wouldn't they have just told me they are fakes? The email reads more like a reprimand than a denial. Again, when I purchased the speakers, I had no idea that Focal had an issue with selling speakers on-line. I just saw what looked like a good deal and went for it. Now, I am not sure what to do?
I should also say that I registered the speakers on-line with Focal and received email confirmation from them, noting a two year warranty on the speakers. When I purchased the speakers from ARS24, I asked whether there were any issues with warranty, since I was purchasing the speakers overseas. They told me if I had any problems to send them back to Germany and they would warranty them. I am admittedly very confused.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

also just note these are a 2ohm component as well
Yes, but they are supposed to be 2-ohm speakers, correct? My McIntosh amp is 2-ohm stable, so I assumed this wouldn't be an issue?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

I would say they are Fake

Here is a real authentic 165KRC Focal Coax I pulled from shelf to show you
The reason they put the serial number now on the cone is so when people post pics of the speakers Focal can read the serial numbers and see for one if someone is selling them below MAP and two who the speakers were sent to.
Also
Focal does not allow authorized dealers to sell for less than MAP anywhere online including EBAY for that matter.

I just noticed you are showing the 165 KRC coaxial speaker. The images of my speakers shown in this thread are the 165 KRX2 components. I also purchased 130 KRC coaxials for rear fill. I am currently at work, but I'll look them over more carefully tonight when I get home.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

I just noticed you are showing the 165 KRC coaxial speaker. The images of my speakers shown in this thread are the 165 KRX2 components. I also purchased 130 KRC coaxials for rear fill. I am currently at work, but I'll look them over more carefully tonight when I get home.
Dennis, do you have pics of the 165 KRX2 components? I am curious if they look different from mine or not?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Caspase-9
Advanced

Okay guys, I've now had a chance to look over the Focal 130 KRCs that I received from Germany, and just as Dennis found for his new 165 KRCs, my speakers also have the serial number on the cone and say "Made in France". Moreover, they have the same speaker terminals on the back of the magnet. Therefore, as best I can tell, my speakers are absolutely legit. I think what this all boils down to is that Focal wants to foster the idea of exclusivity by limiting the number of certified sellers and keeping prices high. If I have trouble with either of these speakers in the future, I could have difficulty with getting them warrantied (or at least I will have to ship them back to Germany), but I guess for the difference in price it could be worth the risk to some folks. I am not sure whether I would do it again or not, but thankfully, I don't think I got "scammed".
Attached Images    

Last edited by Caspase-9; 02-20-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fake Focals or not?

Quick Reply: Fake Focals or not?