Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convert a Bose radio for use with passive speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Eike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert a Bose radio for use with passive speakers?

I would like to install a '94-96 Camaro radio, GM #16175961, at a '85 Corvette C4. As the pre-owner tossed all the Bose speakers and amps, I would like to use 4-Ohm passive speakers.

Foune one on eBay. Seller says he can convert the radio to work with 4-Ohm passive speakers:
I CAN CONVERT THE STEREO TO PLAY NORMALLY IN CARS WITHOUT THE BOSE SYSTEM
It should work fine with the 4 ohm. No you would not need amps as the head unit is amplified.
Can it be true? I checked with Doctor Don if they can do such a conversion and the answer is yes. So if two persons state it is possible it should be. The only question is how do they do it? I guess there is not many space in the radio for getting a modern amp in ...

Do you guys think that it will sound any good and will make the same power as a Bose-System?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Unless you're determined to keep the 'factory appearance' in the car, why not just get an adapter plate to install a new single din radio with all of the modern bells & whistles. It would sound better and most likely be an easier install.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
Unless you're determined to keep the 'factory appearance' in the car, why not just get an adapter plate to install a new single din radio with all of the modern bells & whistles. It would sound better and most likely be an easier install.
Because they look like crap???

Get notified of new replies

To Convert a Bose radio for use with passive speakers?

Quick Reply: Convert a Bose radio for use with passive speakers?