Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chris'C5 SQ Audio build/install

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris'C5 SQ Audio build/install

After realizing my lifelong dream of my first Corvette, the second part of the dream was to build and install myself the SQ Active sound system that I have always wanted as well.

I thought I would show some pics of my system and how I have done it in steps over the past couple of months. I got everything except my door speaker mounts from Dennis at DoubleD Mods. He was so helpful and you really have to call and talk to him in person and he will hook you up!!! I have built this system on a slight budget, and I cannot tell you how much money he saved me. Get several ideas of items you might want and CALL HIM!!!! What a great business! Thanks again Dennis!!!

http://shop.doubledmods.com/main.sc

Then I want to say thanks to every person who helped with the DIY install info in the C5 Audio FAQ. It is so helpful, and I really appreciate everyone who gave their time to be so helpful.

First, my baby...

Second, my choices for my SQ build.

-Head Unit- Pioneer DEH-80PRS This was chosen for sound quality and digital to analog conversion for the best sound.
-Custom bezel from DoubleD Mods(pics to follow)
-Main Soundstage is Morel Virtus 602 Component Speakers
-Fill speakers are a pair of Hertz DCX 165.3 and Hertz DCX 87.3 both pairs powered by the head unit
-Amp is a JL XD700/5v2 powering the components and sub in an active setup
-Sub will be a JL 10w3v3 in a flush mount box from DoubleD Mods(not purchased yet, its the last item I have to add, I am using the JL sub in a sealed box from my truck for now)
-Sound dampening, I am still considering pulling my interior and adding this later.

I didnt get pictures of everything I did, but I did take a few as I went to show what I have done.

So now the Vette is really rockin'! The Morel speakers are truly amazing and I will do a review on them in a separate thread. I think I am one of Dennis' first customers buying them since he has become an Authorized dealer of Morel. I hope everyone enjoys the pics.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

Here is the first tear down to start the head unit install.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

I had Dennis at DoubleD Mods do a Hydrocarbon covered bezel so it would match the Carbon fiber look that was put in the car before I purchased. He really matched the color perfect.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

Installing the new plastic speaker mounts in the doors and the 3.5" Hertz fill speakers. I didnt get any pics of the Hertz 6.5" in the rear mounts but they are both ran off of the DEH-80prs in network mode.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

I did the board and liquid nails behind the passenger seat that I learned here on the website. Works great for the amp install.

This was really easy.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

This was an ideal spot for the amp and so easy to DIY.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

And the main sound stage, the best I could afford for premium, exact music representation. Morel Virtus 602. And they are accurate, clean and sound amazing. You can really produce an accurate sound stage with these. I am really impressed.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

You'll notice I have not mounted the tweeters yet, I am moving them around with double sided sticky tape until I found the correct staging by listening to several locations over this next month.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 AM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always love a clean sound quality insulation on a Corvette. I have the same head unit as you. I think I have a lil bit more bass with 2 12s in a ported box. I'm actually looking at getting a second battery because right now I'm pushing close to 1900 RMS, but I plan to add an additional 1000 watts for the subs.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Rear coax powered from the HU is common, but having the HU powered front 3.5" coax in addition to the active components is something I've never tried. Should be interesting
Old 03-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markcz
Rear coax powered from the HU is common, but having the HU powered front 3.5" coax in addition to the active components is something I've never tried. Should be interesting
When I first got the Vette last August, I did the simple twiddler upgrade that I read on here. When buying the 2 pair of Hertz, I purchased with the idea of using them for fill once I started this install. Then I read online that there are many mixed reviews about running the DEH-80PRS in Network mode (most say you couldnt) I spoke with Dennis at DoubleD and he said I really think you should be able to, so I am trying it, knowing that I could just turn off the internal amp if necessary. They are working but since they are just fill, you really cant hear them over the Morels, which is the way fill should work. I have not ran the Auto EQ yet, I have just adjusted everything to my ears for now. When I get some time this weekend I am going to try it though, they say that is when the fill speakers could mess everything up, during the Auto EQ set up.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ATLS2
I always love a clean sound quality insulation on a Corvette. I have the same head unit as you. I think I have a lil bit more bass with 2 12s in a ported box. I'm actually looking at getting a second battery because right now I'm pushing close to 1900 RMS, but I plan to add an additional 1000 watts for the subs.
I love that head unit. It really sounds right! And the way you can run active with it is really awesome.

1900 rms watts and your adding another 1000 watts for the sub, that is crazy, must sound really amazing. I am not even close at 700rms watts and mine is so loud and clean, I cannot imagine how yours must sound.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

So after several days of staging the tweeters in different places, I have chosen the mounting place. And the biggest surprise was the best sound achieved was back in the door next to the Mids.

The Morel Virtus is so accurate and the tweeters really sound amazing, just really loud on my active system. They really play music as it should sound. I am really impressed with them.

I was so astounded by the sound back in the door, I pulled them back out and staged them throughout the car several more times, to go back to the in door mount, and wow it just all staged and aligned the easiest and sounds the best.

The Morel tweeters are known for having a wide angle of sound, so maybe this is why.?

I did use a mount that they included that slightly angles the speaker up toward you, and a lot of information says you should not spread your components to far apart. Either way, wow, it really sounds amazing now!

Here is how I mounted them, really simple.

The lower side of the mounting plate was a completely clear open spot behind the factory speaker screen. Nothing was blocked by any part of the door. Really worked great.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:04 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Did you try the tweets in the door handle openings?
Have you tried turning off the fill speakers yet? Would you buy them again or do without?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Did you try the tweets in the door handle openings?
Have you tried turning off the fill speakers yet? Would you buy them again or do without?
I really liked the door handle install but the tweets are 2" and I was not sure they would mount and look clean and flush. The ring wouldn't fit. And I am testing turning off the fill this coming weekend. I am really curious about that. I have yet to notice them over the Morels. But the Morels are clean and really loud.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

I have experimented with turning off the internal amp on the Deh-80prs head unit that runs the Hertz fill speakers. Through this last week I would switch it back and forth on many different varieties of songs and really tried to get the best varied response with and without the fill speakers.

First. The Morel Virtus 6.5 components sound amazing. I am not sorry about that purchase. They are really pure, clean and loud. They really portray each style of music the way it should sound. They are the best components I have ever owned. With out the fill speakers they really provide true accurate sound. I was worried with the reviews I read online that they would not provide enough bass response for my liking, however they are able to handle 60hz and up and really have plenty of bass. They surprise me every time I mute the other channels to work on them.

Second, I really do like the sound better with the fill speakers on. They do not overwhelm or override the Morels, they work as fill speakers should and fill or make the whole system sound really full. I purchased the Hertz 3.5 and 6.5 Coax with the plans on using such an easy to drive and sensitive speaker sets for just this reason, running off of the head unit. I couldn't be happier putting in the extra effort and trying this out. It really makes the system amazing and intense. Even though they are never heard on their own, they really make the system so much fuller and surrounding, I am really pleased.

I have to admit that the tweets in the doors are bugging me when my knee causes some blockage, I am thinking about door or handle mounting if I can figure that out.

And I am looking forward to getting a Stealthbox with a W3 from DoubleD Mods this week. That should round out the system nicely.

Back to fine tuning and rockin' it out!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

I am really happy to post the last speaker in my build. Dennis at www.DoubleDmods.com sent me my JL sub in his enclosure. What a deal. For my moderate powered SQ system this sub is amazing. Per his recommendations I went with the 2ohm version to pull 300watts out of the amp, and man, it is the best sounding sub I have ever owned. I actually had to turn it down. Clean, precise, with a deep bottom bass. Very awesome. This is such a great deal from him and his website. I have a lower end JL in my truck and this w3 is so much better, I am really pleased. It really made the system complete and sounds amazing whether I play Jazz, Rap/Hip Hop, Pop, Alt/Indie, Folk, Classic Rock, and the list goes on and on. I spent all of last night driving and going through my Google All Access Music Library(a must have for all audiophiles!) playing all of my favorites while breaking it in.

Now the best part, I have never had a sub enclosure fit so well and be so easy to install in a factory vehicle area. This is such an easy add on for any C5 owner.

Here are some pics.

What an awesome fit!

Running the line is so easy from the amp.

Ya its boomin!!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Navi243
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

were you able to put the factory cover over the sub without any issues?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Navi243
were you able to put the factory cover over the sub without any issues?
I run the cover over mine with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Chris'C5 SQ Audio build/install

Quick Reply: Chris'C5 SQ Audio build/install