Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pioneer 4199NEX

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 PM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer 4100NEX

WOOHOO, Double D just shipped my new radio. I will post pictures once it is installed. Android Auto (which will not work until Verizon updates my Note 3), front and rear cameras, Appradio. Can't wait. Here is hoping it goes well.

Last edited by roadkilltx; 03-20-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume you mean 4100? I'm really interested in what your impressions are when you get it. I was considering this one although Dennis recommended the Kenwood to me. The Pioneer fits my budget a lot better, and I don't need nav anyway. I did notice the website price went up quite a bit this week though. Let us know how you like it.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 PM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Default Ok, 4100

Never said I could type. Fixed now. Pretty excited about the Android Auto.

Last edited by roadkilltx; 03-20-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Chris'C5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkilltx
Never said I could type. Fixed now. Pretty excited about the Android Auto.
Cant wait to see how this install goes, really interested in the Android App Radio.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris'C5
Cant wait to see how this install goes, really interested in the Android App Radio.

Does it only allow a few apps? The only reason i'd get this is if it works with the YAV1 radar detector app.

Other than that, i've read these units have the exact same hardware as the older units. They're just charging a premium for AA.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:38 PM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Yea, I think the only difference between the 4000 and 4100 is AA. I've been waiting for an AA head unit since I read about them.
Well, the car is torn apart. Ran cables for front and rear cameras, mike,
Sirius antenna. Bad PAC unit. Can't finish until Dennis gets me a replacement. Too far gone to just put the car back together. Guess I will be driving the wife's Liberty this week. Once I get the new unit, should be done in about 2 hours.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:07 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I got the 4700 (I think) and love it, loads all your contacts, phone calls with a push of a button, love it. I just wish there was some literature or you tube video for equalizer settings, there are soooo many bands...
Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 PM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Default It's alive

OK, finally got Android Auto to work on my 4100NEX. What a PITA. Here is the story.
Got my radio and install stuff from Double D Mods. Dennis is awesome. Followed all the forum instructions to remove the console. Hooked up the PAC steering wheel, amp integration kit. Immediately started making a strange clicking sound. Contacted Dennis and after we did a little troubleshooting, determined the PAC was bad. Dennis drop shipped me another. Received the new kit but since I have a Samsung Note 3, needed the special cable or Samsung adapter. Instead of spending the $50.00, ordered a cable off Amazon for $8. It actually worked great for Appradio. Well, except for 300mah charging instead of 1800mah charging.
Now I'm just waiting for Lollipop to release for the Note 3. Finally gave up and bought a Note 4. Came home, updated the phone and the 4100. Connected the usb and NOTHING. Took the radio back out and tried the Pioneer usb. NOTHING. Tried the Samsung cable that came with the phone, still nothing. Tried to load the AppRadio app. Will not load on Lollipop. Great. Well at least I still have my Note 3. AppRadio works on that. 4 days after buying the Note 4, Lollipop releases for the Note 3. I was going to wait on the update but gave in and updated to Lollipop. Connected and no Android Auto. Well at least I still have AppRadio. Nope, this no longer works.
Just took the car apart again and used the Samsung usb cable that came with the phone and immediately Android Auto install started. Don't know what changed but as long as it works I'm happy.
I've gotten so good at taking the radio out I only disconnect the hazard switch and can pull the radio out far enough to change usb cables.
Don't have much input on AA yet as I have just played with it in the garage but seems pretty cool.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:12 PM
roadkilltx
Advanced

BTW, the front and rear cameras are really cool. When I know I'm about to park, I just switch to front camera to watch the curb. Can manually switch to rear camera or it automatically comes on when going into reverse. Driving down the highway with the front camera on 8 inches above the pavement is fun to watch.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 PM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Default camera

BTW, the front and rear cameras are really cool. When I know I'm about to park, I just switch to front camera to watch the curb. Can manually switch to rear camera or it automatically comes on when going into reverse. Driving down the highway with the front camera on 8 inches above the pavement is fun to watch.
Where did you mount the front camera? Do you have any pic's? I'm getting ready to install the Kenwood 992. Wish me luck.
I am also in the DFW metroplex (Keller). Do you mind if I bend your ear on some install information?

Last edited by 1badazc6; 04-21-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 PM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1badazc6
Where did you mount the front camera? Do you have any pic's? I'm getting ready to install the Kenwood 992. Wish me luck.
I am also in the DFW metroplex (Keller). Do you mind if I bend your ear on some install information?
Ask away. If you want to talk on the phone I will PM you my phone number. I work in Roanoke on Roanoke Rd just S. of 170.

Sorry for the dirty car but as you know, we've been getting some much needed rain.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Default conversation

Ask away. If you want to talk on the phone I will PM you my phone number. I work in Roanoke on Roanoke Rd just S. of 170.

Sorry for the dirty car but as you know, we've been getting some much needed rain.
Thx roadkill. Please send me your number as I will send you mine. I think I almost have; just that I have a couple plugs from the factory radio and nothing to plug the RP4-Gm11 into. Also, to double check the VSS wire; that's one of the plugs that has me puzzled also.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:05 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

C6 prints are HERE

VSS wire is shown in pinout 6

RP4 goes to C1 plug (pic in pinout 5)
Old 04-21-2015, 06:42 PM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by markcz
C6 prints are HERE

VSS wire is shown in pinout 6

RP4 goes to C1 plug (pic in pinout 5)
Thanks a lot markcz. I have the RP4 wired but that is the only plug supplied with the pkg. The plug with the VSS in in pinout has no corresponding connection. Am I missing something?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

C1 is the only stock plug from the original radio that you need to connect with the RP4.

To connect the VSS wire use a splice tap

Same thing with the dimmer wire (gray/black wire at TC/AH button) and reverse trigger if you are installing a rear view camera (see post #2 HERE)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 AM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Default Thx

C1 is the only stock plug from the original radio that you need to connect with the RP4.

To connect the VSS wire use a splice tap LIKE THIS

Same thing with the dimmer wire (gray/black wire at TC/AH button) and reverse trigger if you are installing a rear view camera (see post #2 HERE)
Again thank you mark. I will let you you know this afternoon how things are. I already wired the dimmer wire, and reverse wire. If all goes well, I plan on testing the connections today by connecting the head unit.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:53 PM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Default no sound

Originally Posted by 1badazc6
Again thank you mark. I will let you you know this afternoon how things are. I already wired the dimmer wire, and reverse wire. If all goes well, I plan on testing the connections today by connecting the head unit.
Everything connected; rear camera works great, SW controls seem to be working, navigation is a vast improvement...only issue; no sound at all. Blue/white wires are connected; I know this because my JL subwoofer amp is turning on. I saw where somewhere someone just had this same problem but can't find it now. Please help.

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer 4199NEX

Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Did you also connect the HU blue/white to the RP4?

If yes, check AMP fuse under hood. If fuse good or if you never connected wire to RP4... in addition to sub amp, connect HU blue/white amp trigger wire to wire at pin B3 of the wire bundle coming out of the RP4 going to the 24 pin plug. The stock plug is labeled like a battleship board and the stock wire at B3 is white.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 AM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Default No audio with after market

Did you also connect the HU blue/white to the RP4?

If yes, check AMP fuse under hood. If fuse good or if you never connected wire to RP4... in addition to sub amp, connect HU blue/white amp trigger wire to wire at pin B3 of the wire bundle coming out of the RP4 going to the 24 pin plug. The stock plug is labeled like a battleship board and the stock wire at B3 is white.
Blue/white wire form RP4 is connected to blue/white wire form head unit. I will check fuse & connect the H/U blue/white to stock white wire at B3. I will let you know the outcome.

Last edited by 1badazc6; 04-23-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: forgot thanks
Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Are the RP4 RCA's connected to the proper HU preout locations?

On some HU you can turn speaker or preout outputs on/off in settings. If yours has that make sure the preout outputs are on.

Can you see indication of volume changing on the HU or does it indicate mute?

Quick Reply: Pioneer 4199NEX