Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MP3 Player

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default MP3 Player

Is it "do'able" to connect an MP3 player in place of the 12 disc CD changer by just connecting MP3 player L/R output to the L/R pins of the CD changer. Then select AUX on the OEM radio head to listen to the MP3?

Do not want to go bluetooth route.

I tried to select AUX on the radio head but nothing happened; nothing happened when I tried to select CD either, but it did play the CD when I inserted one. The 12 disc changer does not seem to work.

Appreciate any insight here....have had my 2004 for two weeks now and still working on it.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:54 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

What you're asking about can be done, but your changer needs to be functional to the point where the radio will stay on that input. With the changer running you tap the audio feed to the HU and insert your own audio.

Pic below is one of the original concepts, there are many ways to wire it in. Permanent is always an option if the changer is kaput, 4PDT relay is in the print with a remote wired on/off switch, or a 4PDT switch (kinda bulky).

Other options are available if you buy an interface. Call Dennis at DoubleDmods.com to see what is still available that would work with your gizmos

Last edited by markcz; 02-06-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:13 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

From what I have found on the CD changer connector, there are only L and R, not L±, & R±. So I was thinking I should be able to take a stereo headphone cable, cut the headphones off and connect L/R to the CD changer L/R, plug into MP3 player, select AUX on the radio and be good to go.

But this sounds (no pun intended) to simple....but is on the same order as the diagram using a 4PDT relay shown above...just not able to switch between the MP3 player and the CD changer....which is fine since changer does not seem to work anyways.

Think I will call Double D Mods and ask them.

Thanks

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-06-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
From what I have found on the CD changer connector, there are only L and R, not L±, & R±. So I was thinking I should be able to take a stereo headphone cable, cut the headphones off and connect L/R to the CD changer L/R, plug into MP3 player, select AUX on the radio and be good to go.
Yes, that's exactly how it works.

However.......

...just not able to switch between the MP3 player and the CD changer....which is fine since changer does not seem to work anyways.
This is a problem. In order for the radio to play the audio that you're splicing in, it must believe the changer is where it is coming from. If you can't get the radio to stay selected on the changer, then it won't work.

Think I will call Double D Mods and ask them.
Good idea, they will prob recommend one of the adapters HERE
Old 02-07-2016, 06:24 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Okay...fully understand now. I thought I could selet AUX on the head unit without the CD changer being connected....forgot about the data buss pin.

So that is the reason for the adapter....make complete sense now.....duh!!...not one of my better moments here......

I thought I had the CD Changer working as I removed the opto-encoder which forced it to serach through all the magazine trays. But then it once again stopped doing anything. Still will not eject the magazine. The little lite comes on behind the sliding door when it is opened so the switch is working; just something in the electronics does not kick the magazaine out.

Oh well....time for an adapter.

Thanks for the lesson.

Get notified of new replies

To MP3 Player

Quick Reply: MP3 Player