Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adding bluetooth buttons /w aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:31 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Default adding bluetooth buttons /w aftermarket headunit

I just want to confirm something before I place an order.

I have a 2008 Corvette which I installed a Kenwood DNX692 radio in to. The headunit includes Bluetooth audio and hands free calling. The interface kit I am using is either the RP4 or RP5 from PAC-Audio.

I am interested in upgrading to a 2012+ steering wheel to get a Bluetooth buttons on the left hand side. Will it work? Will I need to do anything to reprogram the pac audio device?

Here is the link to the steering wheel upgrade:
http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...l/?parent=1001

Here is an image to the wheel in question:
Old 03-13-2016, 12:08 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

As long as you currently have a wheel with volume and station buttons, then yes, swapping the wheel out is all you have to do for the BT buttons to work. If you're adding all of the buttons then you'll have to add the clockspring also.

The only possible (probable) issue is with the plugs. The new wheel may not be the same as the old one, but you can easily splice the wires together if the plugs don't match.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

We have sold the steering wheels and the clockspring but we have never had anyone report back if they were able to add the aftermarket Bluetooth units. It would be very interesting to know as such.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 03-17-2016, 01:43 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
We have sold the steering wheels and the clockspring but we have never had anyone report back if they were able to add the aftermarket Bluetooth units. It would be very interesting to know as such.
It should work just fine as long as the new radio or SWI adapter (if aftermarket) is programmed for the additional buttons. The prints below are for the original volume/channel only buttons and then with BT buttons added.

The same two wires go back to the radio for each version

Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by markcz
It should work just fine as long as the new radio or SWI adapter (if aftermarket) is programmed for the additional buttons. The prints below are for the original volume/channel only buttons and then with BT buttons added.

The same two wires go back to the radio for each version
Thank you for the response. I respect your answer, but we still have not had anyone try it and confirm that it does in fact work.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Thank you for the response. I respect your answer, but we still have not had anyone try it and confirm that it does in fact work.
I did it in my 2007

I replaced my stock 2007 non-BT wheel with this one and all 7 buttons worked on my aftermarket HU through the SWI adapter.

Just before trading in the '07 I removed the aftermarket radio and reinstalled the stock CD changer HU. For the brief time that I had the new 7-button wheel in with the original radio (not programmed for BT), only the 5 buttons on the right worked.

The only concern I would have is with the plugs in the new wheel not being compatible with the connector in the car, but as I mentioned earlier, the wires can be spliced if needed. As long as your SWI device is pre-programmed for BT controls, or can be manually programmed, then this should work.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by markcz
I did it in my 2007

I replaced my stock 2007 non-BT wheel with this one and all 7 buttons worked on my aftermarket HU through the SWI adapter.

Just before trading in the '07 I removed the aftermarket radio and reinstalled the stock CD changer HU. For the brief time that I had the new 7-button wheel in with the original radio (not programmed for BT), only the 5 buttons on the right worked.

The only concern I would have is with the plugs in the new wheel not being compatible with the connector in the car, but as I mentioned earlier, the wires can be spliced if needed. As long as your SWI device is pre-programmed for BT controls, or can be manually programmed, then this should work.

Thanks for the information. We've never had anyone install and tell us it was all working with an aftermarket unit so this is good information.

Get notified of new replies

To adding bluetooth buttons /w aftermarket headunit

Quick Reply: adding bluetooth buttons /w aftermarket headunit