Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Connection from new head unit to existing audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Yellow Lightning
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connection from new head unit to existing audio

Could use a little help here. One of our members is going to install a Pioneer Car Play HU in my 07 c6 (no Bose, no on star, no steering wheel controls. He's telling me tha the Pioneer rep is telling him to use the internal amplification in the Pioneer HU to power the speakers rather than to go pre-amp out from the HU through the interface and allow the (non-Bose) amp in the car to power the speakers. Which is correct?

I'd like the best audio I can manage short of installing a new 5 channel amp and replacing speakers and putting in a sub for cost reasons, and just want to know what the standard practice is for replacing the old radio with a new one when it comes to connecting to the stock speakers.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:54 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Get a C2R-GM24 interface adapter

You'll also need an adapter for the GM antenna connector and a mounting plate.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Yellow Lightning
3rd Gear

Thanks Mark:
My question is, after proper connection via an interface, will the speakers be driven by 1) the existing non-Bose amplifier(s) or by 2)the small internal amplifiers inside the head unit? My impression was that the setup would continue to use the non-Bose (Delco or whomever) amps, but the distributor is telling us that the stock speakers will need to be powered from the head unit's internal amplifiers, Thanks,
Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The C2R will use the HU line-level RCA outputs and have the speakers powered by the stock amp. If you only want to replace the HU, then that is the best sounding way to connect it. It's also the easiest install. You will still have full adjustability of all fade/tone/EQ settings on the HU.

You could use the HU speaker outputs direct to the speakers, but in non-Bose there are 4 front speakers and 2 rear that need amplified inputs. Your HU only has 2 powered outputs.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:48 PM
Yellow Lightning
3rd Gear

Default That's it!

Thanks much,Mark. I suspected as much. Sounds like the interface does the heavy lifting if we let it. BTW, looks like that interface is now RP3-GM11.

Originally Posted by markcz
The C2R will use the HU line-level RCA outputs and have the speakers powered by the stock amp. If you only want to replace the HU, then that is the best sounding way to connect it. It's also the easiest install. You will still have full adjustability of all fade/tone/EQ settings on the HU.

You could use the HU speaker outputs direct to the speakers, but in non-Bose there are 4 front speakers and 2 rear that need amplified inputs. Your HU only has 2 powered outputs.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:31 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Yes, the RP3 is the latest version of the C2R (formerly GMCO ).

One thing you need to know, DO NOT CUT OFF THE RCA PLUGS LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY Connect the RP3/C2R RCA's directly to the HU

In C6 all models are treated as Bose per the PAC instructions.

Get notified of new replies

To Connection from new head unit to existing audio

Quick Reply: Connection from new head unit to existing audio