Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Apple CarPlay - What's good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:32 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay - What's good?

Hi everyone! I'm entertaining the idea of jumping back into a C6 Vette and I'd like to upgrade at least the factory head unit, to start. In my previous 2007 Z06, I ripped everything out and went full aftermarket but for now, just looking to do the HU. That being said, I've been used an iPod for the past 6 years exclusively. I almost never listen to AM/FM or SirusXM and/or CD's. With that, comes CarPlay. I'm also currently an iPhone user and I'm looking for the following out of the updated HU's:

Hands-free calling (does NOT have to be bluetooth)
Nav
iPod/iPhone integration (I listen primarily to Podcasts I find for free)
Backup camera
Retain steering wheel controls (wish-list item)

I've spend a decent amount of time looking at many units but wanted to see if anyone had any hand-on feedback. I also plan on contacting Dennis to ask his recommendations as well.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I have no hands on, but I am planning to do a complete audio upgrade on my 2013 GS. I am leaning towards the Kenwood Excelon DDX6903S. Not overly expensive and has the features I am looking for. I tend to use my iPhone for navigation instead of the stock navi in the Corvette so I figured I should just get a HU with Carplay.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:53 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii
Hi everyone! I'm entertaining the idea of jumping back into a C6 Vette and I'd like to upgrade at least the factory head unit, to start. In my previous 2007 Z06, I ripped everything out and went full aftermarket but for now, just looking to do the HU. That being said, I've been used an iPod for the past 6 years exclusively. I almost never listen to AM/FM or SirusXM and/or CD's. With that, comes CarPlay. I'm also currently an iPhone user and I'm looking for the following out of the updated HU's:

Hands-free calling (does NOT have to be bluetooth)
Nav
iPod/iPhone integration (I listen primarily to Podcasts I find for free)
Backup camera
Retain steering wheel controls (wish-list item)

I've spend a decent amount of time looking at many units but wanted to see if anyone had any hand-on feedback. I also plan on contacting Dennis to ask his recommendations as well.
im getting ready to do the same thing... I called dennis at double D and he set me up...I went with a non nav HU as im going to mirror my Iphone to the HU and use the iphone GPS
so im getting the pioneer 4100 hu all wired and ready to go a little over 500.00 and that's with a back up camera ..
Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I have no hands on, but I am planning to do a complete audio upgrade on my 2013 GS. I am leaning towards the Kenwood Excelon DDX6903S. Not overly expensive and has the features I am looking for. I tend to use my iPhone for navigation instead of the stock navi in the Corvette so I figured I should just get a HU with Carplay.

wait till CES opens next week then call me. There is one new one coming you might like.
I emailed you back as well with your quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
wait till CES opens next week then call me. There is one new one coming you might like.
I emailed you back as well with your quote
Yup. I did receive your reply. Thank you. Almost ready to pull the trigger just finalizing everything I might need.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:48 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I would stay away from the Pioneer NEX CarPlay units. The interface is sluggish, and if you get one with nav, you can't really trust it to get you where you need to go. Just my opinion, based on having had an 8200NEX. The models without built in Nav might be fine. I don't know.

Last edited by bobeast; 12-30-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Thanks for the feedback thus far everyone. I'm in the process of closing the deal on a 2010 ZR1 and although I prefer the sound of the motor/exhaust over everything else, I would like to up the sound of the stereo for the longer rides. I'll continue to see what's out there and if I end up with the car, I'll start piecing it all together.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:49 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Just found this release as to what been shown at CES thus far. Its worth a quick read if you're in the market for a new Carplay capable radio. I'm sure when Dennis gets back he'll give his personal feedback. Take note of the unit in particular, the Alpine. It looks to be the first wireless carplay option, unless I'm mistaken, then it may be the first by Alpine. It won the top CES award in the car audio category, however, I'm not sure if that really has "real world" value. I also like that the new Pioneer Nex units are being coupled with their reverse cameras.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:13 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii
Just found this release as to what been shown at CES thus far. Its worth a quick read if you're in the market for a new Carplay capable radio. I'm sure when Dennis gets back he'll give his personal feedback. Take note of the unit in particular, the Alpine. It looks to be the first wireless carplay option, unless I'm mistaken, then it may be the first by Alpine. It won the top CES award in the car audio category, however, I'm not sure if that really has "real world" value. I also like that the new Pioneer Nex units are being coupled with their reverse cameras.
I saw that too. Unfortunately it does not appear to have built in navigation capabilities. Apple Maps is a really poor replacement for dedicated built-in navigation.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:29 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by bobeast
I saw that too. Unfortunately it does not appear to have built in navigation capabilities. Apple Maps is a really poor replacement for dedicated built-in navigation.
Good point. I do use my Nav every now and then on my phone and while Apple Maps has gotten better over time, it still isn't Google Maps. The price of the units skyrockets, at least on the Kenwoods, because of their exclusive deal with Garmin.

So, plot thickens.

Get notified of new replies

To Apple CarPlay - What's good?

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay - What's good?