Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BOSE, need to replace system in 1989 Coupe. recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:29 PM
billwineberg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOSE, need to replace system in 1989 Coupe. recommendations?

Car is a 1989 Corvette Coupe with Factory Bose am/fm cassette.
I want to replace with a complete new system, But I do NOT want to destroy the old bose parts.

I have info on how to remove the door speaker pods already from Kale, thanks bud!!!

I'm looking at an Alpine 9813 head unit,
General Specifications
RMS Power Output: 27x4 Watts
Maximum Power: 60x4 Watts
DIN: 1
CD-R/CD-RW Compatible: Yes
CD Text: Yes
Satellite Radio Ready: Yes
Remote Control: Yes
Detachable Face: Yes
EQ Bands: Yes
Changer Control: Yes

Features
detachable, fold-down face
MaxTune SQ tuner
12 FM/6 AM presets
plays MP3 and WMA files
displays MP3 text (ID-3 tags)
V-Drive hybrid MOSFET60 internal amp - high-current draw requires direct fused connection to your battery
Bass Engine Pro
Media XpanderT
5-band parametric EQ
XM Satellite Radio controls (XM Radio subscription, tuner, antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal.) - service not available in Alaska or Hawaii
CD changer controls for Alpine Ai-NET changers only
optional auxiliary input
4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
27 watts RMS/60 peak x 4 channels
CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf

and plan to put 5.25" 2-way speakers in the doors,

I have a few old amps and speakers from cars and boats I sold, maybe I can put some of these parts to use?

AMPS:

*ADS PS5 power plate, small 2-channel amp (no specs)

*Nakamichi PA-300II 4-channel amp, reads "75w+75w" (see below for pic link)

* Sanyo PA7050, reads "compact disc ready amplifier 50w+50w, 20hz-20hz at less than 0.05% THD, dynamic range 100dp, dynamic headroom 2db." (this amp may not be good)

I do not have to use all this stuff, I do enjoy having good hearing and hope to keep it that way ;-)

SPEAKERS:

* "Nakamichi SP65C speaker system" appears to be 6.5" 2-way speakers, with boxes for each speaker that read; "Mobile Speaker System, SP-65C Passive Crossover Network", then "a rocker switch, "Tweeter Level" and "normal and -2db" as choices. Wiring L to R reads "Output, Tweeter + Orange, -Gray, Woofer + Yellow, - White," then "input = red, - black", Maximum input 80w, Nominal input 40w"

i found on another site a pic of the amp and the speaker boxes w/rocker switches, at; http://www.river-oaks-car-stereo.com/installations/
i will try to link that pic. http://www.river-oaks-car-stereo.com/pics/amps.jpg

*I have 2 old but brand new in the box, "Crunch" 8" subwoofers too, I do not have to use them if it is overkill. I can always put them in my boat.

So my questions are;

1) What are the best 5.25" speakers for the doors?

2) Can 6.5"s be used in the doors with stock Bose cover plates?

3) Should I use the Nakamichi 6.5's for the rear?

4) Use Nakamichi amp to power the 6.5"s and the 5.25"s

5) ADS PS5 amp to power the subs?

6) Or will the head unit be enough power for the door speakers and then just use an amp for the subs?

7) What size are the speakers in the dash top?

8) How hard is it to remove the dash top and replace those speakers?
and can you give details.

9) IF answer to #2 was yes; then should I put the removable tweeters from the Nakamichi 6.5" speakers in the dash top speaker areas? (this is what was recommended and I did on my Eldorado I had them in)

10) What gauge wiring, connectors and other stuff should i use? (Circuit City had a kits for $70, looked like the cost is for the flashy looks)

Any other comments, recommendations, thoughts, etc., appreciated, thanks!
Bill
Old 02-29-2004, 06:52 AM
vette-freak
Pro

Default Re: BOSE, need to replace system in 1989 Coupe. recommendations? (billwineberg)

If it is a factory bose system, you have no speakers in the dash. There are grills there but no speakers. Only the 2 in the doors & the 2 in the rear. The 6.5 can be used in the doors but you need to modify the opening & make a mounting plate. In the rear with the bose pods removed, you have room for 6x9's with only drilling mounting holes. If your present speakers are for marine use, I wouldn't use them in the vette. I can understand using what you have, but for about $250, you can buy some decent 2-3 way 6.5 & 6x9 for the car. I would suggest hooking everything up to the head unit without any amps to see what sound you have before going thru the hassle of wiring an amp to all the speakers especially since you have a coupe. Todays aftermarket systems sound exceptionally good without any additional power unless you plan on competition. Just my opinion.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:11 PM
billwineberg
Instructor

Default Re: BOSE, need to replace system in 1989 Coupe. recommendations? (vette-freak)

speakers are not marine use, was planning on putting them in cabin not cockpit.

any recommendations on speaker brands?
Old 02-29-2004, 07:05 PM
vette-freak
Pro

Default Re: BOSE, need to replace system in 1989 Coupe. recommendations? (billwineberg)

As far as speaker (brands) go, it is up to the listener or what your ears like. Some like shrilling highs & some like deep bass. I suggest going to an auto audio dealership & not the local pumpout product stores like best buy or circuit city & listen to some 6x9 & 6.5's to see what sounds good to you. Then look them up on the net for pricing. MB quarts, focal, boston acoustics, polk and inifinity are some of the better quality but pioneer 2-3 ways sound good too. It is up to each indivisual.

Get notified of new replies

To BOSE, need to replace system in 1989 Coupe. recommendations?

Quick Reply: BOSE, need to replace system in 1989 Coupe. recommendations?