Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of switching cars...any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 04:47 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Thinking of switching cars...any opinions?

Stupid question about the opinions

Here is the deal. I really enjoy my C5 but after thinking about what I want to do its becoming more and more evident that I'll need 2 cars.

My original plan was to sell the current car, get a FRC, mod it, and use that. It would still be my DD but would weigh less than my current car.

For the difference in the price of my built coupe I figured I could get a high mileage FRC and build it the way I want with the difference.

That was the budget model...now things might have changed a bit and I had the following idea.

Sell the C5 and buy a C6 vert for everyday and buy another RX7 with an LS1 powertrain. Wife is more apt to drive a 'vert, more so one that doesn't send old women running away when you touch the gas pedal

My Rx7 was one of the most fun cars I owned but had a few things at the time that would not be an issue now. The 7 was a very faith based car. It never felt like it was going to do what you wanted it to do, but once it did you think it could do more...but that first step seemed like certain death.

So I never pushed it to its potential and feel after a lot more seat time I might be better off. The C5 seems kind of isolated from the pavement to the wheel where the Rx7 was completely opposite. You knew what was going on at all times and I've never driven a car that reacted so fast or was as easy to toss around.

I could buy one done(as far as the conversion), do coil overs, cage, seats, wheels/tires, and the best thing about the 7 is the brakes. Granted the car will only weigh 2800lbs by the time the cage is in it but I could buy pads for 1/2 the cost of the C5 pad, they lasted longer and had none of the C5 issues as far as brakes. That car stopped incredibly well on Hawk Black's, and that car only weighed 2675. Rotors I am not sure about cost wise.

Anyone had any good seat time with a 7 at the track? I only had it to the track twice and both times there was a serious lack of willingness to push the car from me, but I've learned a lot since then.

I sold the 7 because of its compromises on the road. Part of it was gearing, 4.11's was tough to cruise around in, the heat from when I put headers on it, lack of AC, etc. I reached that point where either you plug more money into the car or move onto something else.

I paid 14K for the car, cost me $1,500 to get it running, drove it for a year, and sold it for 19K a few hours after putting it up for sale. I put another $1,500 in it with some headers and used shocks but still came out on the good end.

Prices are going down as are prices on most of the toys...

Any thoughts from those with seat time in them how they do?

Its the closest I've come to a Go-kart for the road, I did have an R1 model also. I know the bodies are rock solid from a stiffness standpoint. Mine had 144K and was as tight as could be.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that FD3S with LSx motors are pretty much unbeatable for the money in a track car that can REALLY handle...definitely one of the finest chassis and best drivetrains you can mate!

My good friend had an LS6 powered one with a widebody kit and 315 fronts, 335 rears. He's currently working on making it LS7 powered (tuned to about 550 rwhp) and it's just about the greatest package I can imagine for the money.

However, that being said...a stock/modded Z06 makes a better "drive and enjoy car" than that in my opinion. The RX-7 excels at track use, but won't be nearly as useful for "normal" driving. As long as it's not a huge concern to you, than I think you're doing the right thing!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:11 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I think that FD3S with LSx motors are pretty much unbeatable for the money in a track car that can REALLY handle...definitely one of the finest chassis and best drivetrains you can mate!
What's an FD3S?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like your finding out that ONE vette just dosent do it.

One as a DD / Weekend cruze, verts are great for this. May be a minor mod here or there. And a dedicated track rat.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my Z06. It's my daily driver in the summer. You rode in the car at Grattan. There isn't much that will out-run it on the track. My only mods are alignment, scrubs and Carbotech brake pads. It got 25 MPG at 85-90 on the way home. YMMV
Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

FD3S = chassis code for the third generation RX7 (93-95 style).

Originally Posted by xsiveone
What's an FD3S?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:39 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We just got done dynoing a RX7 with a ls1 in it. Cool car.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of switching cars...any opinions?

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching cars...any opinions?