Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire/Brake questions for first track day:

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Meta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tire/Brake questions for first track day:

I will be doing my first track day with my '02 C5 in a few weeks and wanted some opinions on what I need to do to get setup for the day. The car is completely stock with almost 20k miles. The tires are still quite good as they were driven their first 10k miles by an older man who couldn't find the gas pedal, and the next 10k have been moderate under my foot. Still lots of life in them, at least for the street. For the track I am a bit worried that they are lacking even if they were new as I have never really heard good things about the stock tires that came on that year. So, will I be giving up a LOT of performance and safety at the track with half worn stock tires? If so, what tires offer the best compromise for someone who will likely run them almost entirely on the street and the once a year track day?
Brakes? Should I replace the pads? What kind? Bleed the system? Brake fluid? What kind? Lots of questions for a guy who is really looking forward to finally being able to see what his vette can do on a track! Much appreciated for any help!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=673766 look in there to get started. Then if you have more questions plenty of people here for answers.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:04 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most/all HPDE events require a basic tech inspection (either self tech, at a tech station or at the track). It's pretty basic stuff, but if the car conforms than this should constitute the minimal prep required. Below is a sample of tech inspection requirements:

WHEEL and TIRES
Street Tires:
More than 2/32" of tread?
Race Tires: . .
Good condition/no cording?
Cuts or other other defects?
All lugs present and torqued?
Hubcaps/ Centercaps removed?

ENGINE
Any fluid leaks?
Wires/hoses secured ?
Throttle return springs tight?
Radiator overflow ok?
Battery properly secured?
Battery terminals covered (rubber boots / duct tape ok)?
Fluid lines ok?

BRAKES
Pedal pressure firm?
Fluid level correct?
Lines ok?
Brakes lights working?
Pads more than 5mm?
Rotors ok (no cracks, etc)?

STEERING & SUSPENSION
Wheel bearings ok (no play)?
Steering tight?

BODY
Gas cap ok?
Body panels secure?

SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Helmet approved?(M-85 1st time, SA95 otherwise)
Seat belts secure, no cuts?
Seats secure?
Long sleeve cotton shirt?
Closed-toed shoes?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:41 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd use the tires you've got. Yes, you're giving up performance, but it's your 1st day, so you'll be spending more time learning how to drive instead of getting fast laps. As for the brakes, put some good performance pads on there (Hawk HP+, Wilwood E, ect.) and bleed in some fresh DOT4 fluid and call it a day.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Do your first 10 or so HPDEs on stock tires. PPl go to race rubber too soon and dont learn to handle the car properly.

I did my first 10 or 12 schools on stock tires with AH & TC ON. Learn good smooth lines this way. Then went to race rubber and kept those same soom lines, speed increase and times dropped with out noticing
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were are you going
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I'd use the tires you've got. Yes, you're giving up performance, but it's your 1st day, so you'll be spending more time learning how to drive instead of getting fast laps. As for the brakes, put some good performance pads on there (Hawk HP+, Wilwood E, ect.) and bleed in some fresh DOT4 fluid and call it a day.
except for your first day, just go stock and worry about everything else. Bleed to have fresh fluid, but everything else is fine IMHO.

Depending on where you are going, and hwo they run 1st timers, you will be starting slow (good thing) and the rest of the field will be starting slow (meaning you're not going to be tearing around the track at full speed).

Check out the intro link above, get the tech inspect, make sure everything you do have is in good repair, go have fun.

In the meantime, start planning your financial future around more than one track day per year You're entering a crack house saying "Just one hit"

Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Do your first 10 or so HPDEs on stock tires. PPl go to race rubber too soon and dont learn to handle the car properly.

I did my first 10 or 12 schools on stock tires with AH & TC ON. Learn good smooth lines this way. Then went to race rubber and kept those same soom lines, speed increase and times dropped with out noticing

Stock tires with Z06 pads and fresh brake fluid for your first few times out there. You then can move to a DOT r-compound tire that can be used on and off the track at which time you will also want to go to a better brake pad.

Remember though the more and more you get into it the more prep time it takes and the more your car becomes a track car and not a street car.

I remember changing pads, fluid and driving to the track. Now I change rotors, pads, fluids, load the trailer, load the tow vehicle etc etc etc.... I plan 1 week ahead to get the car ready for the track now.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will find that the vast majority start to upgrade early in the process but the stock vehicle will work fine for some time unless you have prior race driving experience. I took a 1 1/2 year old C5 on track with 15000 miles and stayed stock for at least 1/2 doz. events. I thought I was going fast too, probably got my Sears Point laps under 2.15s, but that wasn't putting too much stress on the car.

As noted above, biggest thing I'd do is bleed the brake fluid and check the pads to make sure you have at least 50% left before starting. Turns out for those of us that never worked on cars that it is a surprise that brake fluid doesn't circulate, the cooked stuff just sits down low and having new there is good for consistent braking. Dot 4 is what those with experience run but I've found a good high temp Dot 3 is also acceptable. Then it turns out that the last 25-35% of your pad is more insulation than braking material and will go away very quickly compared to the top 65% or so.

Then from taking driving classes, eyes up - look far ahead, and be as smooth as you can, that will help you lots as you decide to progress. Finding a video of the track you plan to drive is also helpful.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:42 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StArrow68
You will find that the vast majority start to upgrade early in the process but the stock vehicle will work fine for some time unless you have prior race driving experience. I took a 1 1/2 year old C5 on track with 15000 miles and stayed stock for at least 1/2 doz. events. I thought I was going fast too, probably got my Sears Point laps under 2.15s, but that wasn't putting too much stress on the car.

As noted above, biggest thing I'd do is bleed the brake fluid and check the pads to make sure you have at least 50% left before starting. Turns out for those of us that never worked on cars that it is a surprise that brake fluid doesn't circulate, the cooked stuff just sits down low and having new there is good for consistent braking. Dot 4 is what those with experience run but I've found a good high temp Dot 3 is also acceptable. Then it turns out that the last 25-35% of your pad is more insulation than braking material and will go away very quickly compared to the top 65% or so.

Then from taking driving classes, eyes up - look far ahead, and be as smooth as you can, that will help you lots as you decide to progress. Finding a video of the track you plan to drive is also helpful.
he is a very wise man...and can drive a C5 well too....

Get notified of new replies

To Tire/Brake questions for first track day:

Quick Reply: Tire/Brake questions for first track day: