Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sponsership advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 AM
stickystuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sponsership advice needed.

so i do most of the mechanical work on the car myself. i want to get some body mods from acp.

i know this body shop guy who is down the street from me. i have given him some buss. already. he tubbed my z06, cleaned up some rust on my 82 bmw, sent a few people his way. also have rolled with him to some car local car shows.

he is also a hugh car fan. hes got a 98 supercharged viper gts. respects the z06 and racing. what is the best way to hit him up for some free or at cost body work. i have no issue putting his shops name on my car when i go to hpde events.

do i have a shoot?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:14 AM
pjm710
Burning Brakes

if you want someone elses name on your car go for it
Old 10-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

sounds like you're getting him some business, so it's a 2 way street, why not go for it.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There are very few 'sponsors' any more at the local levels. These businsses are 'partners.' Business is sent in both directions from the racer to the business and back.

In most cases it is not an equal return. The driver / racers sends far more business to the partner then the partner returns to the driver. That is just the way it is.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:32 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

wish you luck, but don't expect much. He can likely get more money out of YOU as a customer, than he might get out of people you may refer. There are about 1000 fast cars/drivers for every company with money to spare supporting them. Bottom line, if you can't support your hobby yourself, then find another hobby. My Avatar says it all, and this is after a Pro win, and beating factory teams from Audi and BMW along the way.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I won a "T" shirt air racing that said

"I know there's a lot of money in aviation, I put it there!"

The same can be said for auto racing....
Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
stickystuff
Racer

i dont care if he profits more out of the deal then me. i just want him to do what i need. i will be more than happy.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Why even make a thread... just ask him. Tell him you'd be willing to run his shop info on your car and refer people if he hooks you up w/ the ACP panel install.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:30 PM
stickystuff
Racer

always best to do some research before trying to close a deal.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:32 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Well first of all, learn to spell 'sponsorship' and 'shot' correctly. Once you do that, then realize that your best bet is probably to get some type of barter agreement or discount on his service(s). Most small businesses don't fork over large (or even small) amounts of cash for that. It never hurts to ask though!!!!!!

How do you make a million dollars in racing??
Answer: Start with 5!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very simple ask! before you ask, you must be ready for his questions. The most important, how will this benfit the company. You must be ready to answer his question.

Personal note. I race a stupid car in the winter time. The lakes that we race on are all very far away. SO I like to stay in hotels. Well everyone stays right across the street for about 120 a night. Well one night I didn't call and put my name in, so I didn't have a room. I drove up the road 10 miles and found a new place. They charge about 60-70 dollars a night, it's a family place. I was replacing the head gasket at 10pm in 10 below weather when the owner was taking out the trash. He asked me what the hell I was doing. I told him and brought me some hot tea. The next day I see him at the races just checking things out. To make a long story short we have his sticker on our car. He gives me a 4 bed room for 30 bucks a night. What I did for him, is rented out about 5-10 more rooms a night on race weekends, all by word of mouth and the sticker.

Randy
Old 10-18-2006, 04:30 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a funny one...I have a local detail shop, detail my car to get the nasties of the HPDE season out of my paint and interior. He charges me like $125 and does a really great job. He looks at my car sees all the stuff I have in the interior and hears the engine and asks, "what I do with it". I explain the concept of HPDE and Time Trials. I had my laptop with me and showed him some video's.

He gets REAL interested and wants to "sponsor" me at my events. So, he explains that I will get 100% free full detail of the car before every event, with occaisional track side cleaning as well (basically he wants to check out the scence and will bring some cleaning materials). But, I have to run a LARGE (I mean big) vinyl sticker accross my entire door to each fender with his shop's name on it.

Now if this were ANYTHING remotely associated to tires, engine work, body work, ANYTHING mechanical related, I would have taken him up in a HEARTBEAT, but he basically is only going to wash and wax my garaged kept car before every event. So on top of all the crap I have to do to get my car ready, I now got to drop the damn thing off before every event for a detail. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty cool and nice of him, but I feel this is of little value to me and he will eventually become a PITA.

What would you do?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I'd take him up on it but only if it's a before/after deal. Before who cares... but it's the after w/ all the embeded brake dust and track boogers and marks. If he clays it after every event it'd be well worth it to me!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ I'd take him up on it but only if it's a before/after deal. Before who cares... but it's the after w/ all the embeded brake dust and track boogers and marks. If he clays it after every event it'd be well worth it to me!
It's only before, he doesn't care what it looks like after the event, just before and during. The season is over anyhow...I would really feel bad about this, like I am taking advantage of the guy.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The first check I got racing was from BFG for finishing second in class in the series I was racing. I figured I spent 25k (in 1990). Thats not too bad, right?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
He gets REAL interested and wants to "sponsor" me at my events. So, he explains that I will get 100% free full detail of the car before every event, with occaisional track side cleaning as well (basically he wants to check out the scence and will bring some cleaning materials). But, I have to run a LARGE (I mean big) vinyl sticker accross my entire door to each fender with his shop's name on it.

What would you do?
Say "Thank you. The car will need to be detailed between EACH sesson." Just kidding.

When we see spotless cars at the track we know they dont run hard enough or have other priorities.

Some track guys use Rejex. Or Quickshine99, spary it on wipe it off, be done with it then work on the mechanical things.

Sponsorships / partnerships come in many forms.

I got lucky a few times and Autozone and PFC gave me 4 sets of PFC-01 pads over the past two years.

I get some discounts from a few ppl.

Local place mounts my tires for $11 each vs $15 for normal customers and $20 at many other places.

They also pass my state visual inspection OBDII is fine. Plus 10% discount on my trucks tires. All they ask is I bring the vette up there once in a while and park it there on a Saturday. ( not a problem) Real small town.

Quakerstate said they would give me 25 gallons of 5-W50 oil, Has not happend yet.

Racers get sponsorship form little things to big things and technical help. Depends on the person and results.

I think sponsorship / partnerships are also how you feel about what is offered??

Get notified of new replies

To sponsership advice needed.

Quick Reply: sponsership advice needed.