Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap times at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Lap times at VIR

I'm curious to know some "real" lap times at the VIR full course by experienced drivers in various Corvettes.

With an experienced driver, what does a:

T1 car run?
Stock Z06 (specify streets or R's please)
Anything else you guys drive

Any of you guys that run Mid-Ohio please post your times there for comparison sake, as I know that track well.

My reasons are twofold -

I just read the Car and Driver article where they deemed VIR their new benchmark for vehicle testing and I'm curious as to how those cars stack up to an existing benchmark that I'm familiar with.

Also, I plan to head down to VIR for the first time in December and am wondering what kind of times I should be shooting for...

TIA!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read that C&D article in the airport yesterday during a long layover. Interesting that they have now chosen VIR as their Autobahn ala USA testing ground. I was thinking about the lap times also.

Keep in mind they did not use Full Course. Which many of these guys have numbers for. They used what we call Grand East. The only club that I have run with that uses it is Mazda Drivers. It has a big impact on lap times vs Full course. You have to cut across what is Patriot course and that is a slow section. It also lenghtens the course by about a mile. It does give a good representation of all types of elements to show a cars full potential.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Chris Ingle holds current race lap record in T1 at 2:06.866
Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1501212&page=2

Enjoy!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Also, I plan to head down to VIR for the first time in December and am wondering what kind of times I should be shooting for...

TIA!
Are you coming to VIR with Chin?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

What about the full course, Chris? Have you run that?

The times for the new Z06 were about 3:01 if I remember correctly.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I just read that C&D article in the airport yesterday during a long layover. Interesting that they have now chosen VIR as their Autobahn ala USA testing ground. I was thinking about the lap times also.

Keep in mind they did not use Full Course. Which many of these guys have numbers for. They used what we call Grand East. The only club that I have run with that uses it is Mazda Drivers. It has a big impact on lap times vs Full course. You have to cut across what is Patriot course and that is a slow section. It also lenghtens the course by about a mile. It does give a good representation of all types of elements to show a cars full potential.
Graham those times in Grande East that C&D used were slow and over 3 min. Those times were over 3 min a lap. We do just under 3 min for on Grande East for good clean DE lap. ( Clean is the optimal word)

One can go quite fast on the patriot course portion of the Grande East.

On Full course, I would be a slow T1 driver at 2:11 was my fastest more like 2:14 - 2:15 normally. Most advance level DE students are in the 2:10- 2:20 range.

Then there is Kenny Hawkens in his SPGT Viper Compe Coupe at 1:58.xx

Grand Am DP cars at 1:43 to 1:50 and track record at 1:37.xx in an old F1 Benetton.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:36 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Full course I can't seem to muster better than a 2:13 with T1 suspension bits and VRL slicks on my C6. (Although my DL1 tells me if I were more consistent (or AT ALL consistent) I would be doing better)

It is rumored that the Mayor of BPK is now in the 2:09s, which in my opinion is wicked fast for his cars level of prep-he's a hell of a driver.

I can't even begin to imagine how Chris popped the 2:05-unreal.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
I can't even begin to imagine how Chris popped the 2:05-unreal.
3 gallons of fuel, sticker tires, large attachments in selective corners, and more laps on that course than just about anyone else on the planet. Wait til you see the number I put up there this year ...if we have a double national there in April.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:21 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Falcon
Are you coming to VIR with Chin?
I don't know with whom, I just know that there is something on Dec 2 and 3 and I was planning on asking you for the information
Old 10-25-2006, 02:31 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know with whom, I just know that there is something on Dec 2 and 3 and I was planning on asking you for the information
Carolina PCA:
http://www.carolinas-pca.com/
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Oh good, that is with the Carolin Region Porsche Club. That's a good one to come to. There'll be a bunch of us guys from the Forum there for that. I'm instructing along with a couple of other guys from here.

Rex already put up the link.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:39 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Hey, how do I get in on Friday? If I'm going to drive 11 hours to get there I'd like to maximize my weekend...

Is it only for the instructors or can an "advanced" driver get a spot?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:42 PM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
track record at 1:37.xx in an old F1 Benetton.
i have heard that the old caddy lmp cars were faster than that when they used to test up at vir...of course those were unofficial times...
Old 10-25-2006, 02:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dmwhite
i have heard that the old caddy lmp cars were faster than that when they used to test up at vir...of course those were unofficial times...
Yup heard some differnt stories of possible and unoffical sub 1:30 times, in another GM product that tested there a few years ago too.

Wonder what the Richard Childris NASCAR team does when they test there ??
Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Hey, how do I get in on Friday? If I'm going to drive 11 hours to get there I'd like to maximize my weekend...

Anyone can participate if they're a solo student (white/black/red).

Email the registrar with your qualifications and see what she says. I would imagine they'd welcome the revenue.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

PM Falcon and Me, We will give you some references.

Just sign up.

Get notified of new replies

To Lap times at VIR

Old 10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scaryfast,

I think you misunderstood my post. In the article they refer to it as the Full course but it isn't. It is Grand East. Full course is different and the one most clubs want to run. That is the one the racers run. It's a blast. Especially if you have horsepower

The times that Chris and Tom gave you are on Full Course. So is the video Chris posted. Falcon also has some good video of Full course.

Just forget the C&D article for times and track layout. That is not what you will run. As Tom noted they aren't particularly fast on Grand East. Heck I can do better times than what they listed. Hmmm, I think Tom just called me slow...

Here is a course map of Grand East. When you do Full course you run the perimeter. So instead of turning right at Bitch and following that whole inside section you just go straight to where it shows T12a. That makes Full course about 3.4 miles and Grand East is about 4.5 miles. That extra section in the middle is slow and painful. But a good test for overall car handling and braking.

Grand East
Old 10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AU N GEL had me @ 2:08 for one of my 3 laps there during OLOA on Michelin PS2's with 385 rwhp...............
Old 10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
AU N GEL had me @ 2:08 for one of my 3 laps there during OLOA on Michelin PS2's with 385 rwhp...............
And as I recall, Danny bought one of my DVDs of VIR, so it musta worked, eh bud!?!?!

Quick Reply: Lap times at VIR