Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX - Can I beat the Z06's with a modded C4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AutoX - Can I beat the Z06's with a modded C4?

I want to keep my 88 A stock for SCCA events next year - but the other 1/2 of my autocrossing is done on a long open track to make it fun for trucks, vipers, Z06's and some heavily modded cobra Mustangs. It's not paxed - so getting FTD isn't likely to happen with an A stock Corvette.

Iv'e been looking at Superstock cars, but I'm sure I'd lose my touch with the 88 if I spent 1/2 my time in one of them.

So, I'm thinking of having a second 88 z51 set up with the same alignment, tires, wheels and brakes, but adding power - headers, and a good exhaust, or a supercharger, just something to get a solid 100 or more hp.

Anyone think this would do it ?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:51 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

We have a 86 BSP vette and the former owner of it was taking a high percentage of overall FTD's with it. He routinely beat just about everybody with it. In our neck of the woods at least. I think you would have a very fair shot at it seeing as ours is still an L-98 with the bolt on stuff. I am not that good of a driver and from time to time I can even catch a few of those Z's.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Cashmo
Instructor

For the higher speed stuff I have to doubt a stock L98 with bolt on's can cut it against your list above, (unless it's a 383). Now throw in an LT4 with headers and an intake and you should be in good shape.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Al - what do you have in your car - and do you know what hp it outputs?

I looked at BSP and thought the cars racing there now would be too hard to race against in an 88, so I didn't want to change where I am yet.

Thank you.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

A well set up BSP C4 running an LT4 motor is just about as fast as a well set up C5 Z.

It is going to be real tough to compete on a fast course with just an L98...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

A stock Z against a BSP car, sure, but a true BSP car would be a little hard to drive on the street! just get some big meats like I did, that will help out a lot.

If you get into the long block, unless it's an update such as and LT4, you'll be in SM2 land. So unless your willing to go with a 383 stocker, 454sb, or swap an LSX engine in, keep to BSP.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

On a local level we can compete with the Z's. Sure a national level car and driver are going to kill us but I didn't read this like the car was going to be a nationals car. We have a stock L-98 with a burned prom 1 5/8 Swain Coated headers with a Corvette challenge x-box and spintech mufflers. We did get the car aligned with as much negative as we could get.We also run the Grand Sport brake setup with Hawk HT-10 or DTC-70 brakes. We run Hoosier A6 315/35R17's at all four corners. Makes gobs of torque. The previous owner used to do extremely well with it. There has been a couple occasions this year when the only car that stood between me and overall FTD was a very well built RP that probably has AT LEAST twice as much power and 335's all the way around. In Michigan alot of drivers around here arent exactly slouches! Take from this what you will.

Last edited by AUTO_X_AL; 10-26-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait till it rains and bring your Audi...they you'll get FTD

Bob
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Cashmo
Instructor

when the only car that stood between me and overall FTD...
Was this at a parking lot autox or a track event? The original post was asking about the later.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Sorry I thought this was concerning Auto-x. I was at an autocross when the RP took FTD from me. When somebody mentions "A STOCK" I dont normally associate that with Tracks. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

A Z06 has the upper hand in this case I must have read that wrong.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Kschwamy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Sorry I thought this was concerning Auto-x. I was at an autocross when the RP took FTD from me. When somebody mentions "A STOCK" I dont normally associate that with Tracks. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Al

Your point is well taken whether it is parking lot or track. We have seen your car beat Z06's both on the track as well as on a parking lot. Allot still rests on the drivers skill level and as yours have progressed so has your ability to beat others.

I have seen a driver in our region who runs a RP have overall FTD in the RP car and then have it break and then get in his 1E car and take FTD. Skill has a major equalization factor in this sport. If you have two drivers with equal skill then the one with the most horse power will usually win. But we know that when it comes to club events that that there is a large range in skill.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Just buy the Z06, you know you want to.
As far as making power with bolt ons, take a look at Ken's car. keep in mind this is an automatic with a high stall converter and about 130,000 miles.

right click, save as

http://baystatecorvetteclub.com/Videos/L98TerrorWMV.wmv
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kschwamy
Al

Your point is well taken whether it is parking lot or track. We have seen your car beat Z06's both on the track as well as on a parking lot. Allot still rests on the drivers skill level and as yours have progressed so has your ability to beat others.

I have seen a driver in our region who runs a RP have overall FTD in the RP car and then have it break and then get in his 1E car and take FTD. Skill has a major equalization factor in this sport. If you have two drivers with equal skill then the one with the most horse power will usually win. But we know that when it comes to club events that that there is a large range in skill.
Thanks Kurt. I think a great many of us around here have made alot of progress towards being great drivers and great competitors as well. Funny I have seen said RP driver fly in that 1E car as well.230HP,500HP whats the diff!

Last edited by AUTO_X_AL; 10-26-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:53 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Wait till it rains and bring your Audi...they you'll get FTD

Bob
Vettes can go fast in the rain too!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:17 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
I looked at BSP and thought the cars racing there now would be too hard to race against in an 88, so I didn't want to change where I am yet.
BSP @ Devens is kind of small but very competitive. Steve has just about every thing you can have in class on his BMW and James is no slouch in that STi. I ran against James a few times in Maine on shorter tighter courses and he just dusted me.

Like others have said, if you go with power add ons you'll have to add grip, 315 V710s IMHO.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Originally Posted by astock165
BSP @ Devens is kind of small but very competitive. Steve has just about every thing you can have in class on his BMW and James is no slouch in that STi. I ran against James a few times in Maine on shorter tighter courses and he just dusted me.

Like others have said, if you go with power add ons you'll have to add grip, 315 V710s IMHO.

Good point - and the other idea I keep going back to for the fast course events is a ZR1. I'm not sure how different it would behave from my C4.

Get notified of new replies

To AutoX - Can I beat the Z06's with a modded C4?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My LT-4 does just fine against Z06's on road courses, and local NCCC autocrosses, I know the car would be no good for SCCA becasue with the Hot Cam it puts me in a prepared class. When I run I just look at overal time anyway, I ocasionally take FTD at the one or two local autocrosses I do, but I set the car up for track days.
If you are looking at another C4 I would look into a LT-4 you should be able to get into one for $13k to $15k.
I guess one thing I would look at is what kind of tracks are you running at, I've run Gingerman where an L-98 wouldn't do too bad, however I regualrly run Road America where an L-98 car would be at a pretty big disadvantage. The ZR-1 and LT-4 are the only C4's that can rev (and make power) above 6000 rpm which is usefull on road courses, like Road America.
My thoughts are that you have to mod a C4 to keep up with a Z06, once you start to mod Z06's they get really hard to catch. (Drivers being equal or close to it.)
A good driver in a slower car will typically catch a slow driver in a fast car.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:19 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two weeks ago at a fun event, I was only .5 sec slower in my dads 86 LT4 B/SP or 2G car , than in my personal ASP implement of destruction. These are autocross results, but it did suprise me that the 86 was that fast......
Old 10-27-2006, 11:25 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
My LT-4 does just fine against Z06's on road courses, and local NCCC autocrosses, I know the car would be no good for SCCA becasue with the Hot Cam it puts me in a prepared class. When I run I just look at overal time anyway, I ocasionally take FTD at the one or two local autocrosses I do, but I set the car up for track days.
If you are looking at another C4 I would look into a LT-4 you should be able to get into one for $13k to $15k.
I guess one thing I would look at is what kind of tracks are you running at, I've run Gingerman where an L-98 wouldn't do too bad, however I regualrly run Road America where an L-98 car would be at a pretty big disadvantage. The ZR-1 and LT-4 are the only C4's that can rev (and make power) above 6000 rpm which is usefull on road courses, like Road America.
My thoughts are that you have to mod a C4 to keep up with a Z06, once you start to mod Z06's they get really hard to catch. (Drivers being equal or close to it.)
A good driver in a slower car will typically catch a slow driver in a fast car.
Gingerman is alot of fun and the L-98 is pretty fair for getting out of turns well with the low end. Especially T6. But with a 3.54 rear gear I shifted 9 times per lap!

Quick Reply: AutoX - Can I beat the Z06's with a modded C4?