Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BPKM does CMP in style...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BPKM does CMP in style...

Big Pine Key Motorsports graced CMP with their presence at CMP this last weekend. It looked like just under 100 Corvettes at the third National Corvette Museums HPDE also attended. I am positive the reason the attendance was so high at the event was because BPKM "himself" was there.

Preparing for this event was relatively easy since the ZO6 was still on the trailer from Roebling last weekend and most of the track stuff was still in there also. All we had to do was to prep the FRC, load the camping gear in the trailer and reload the truck with tires. Speaking of tires - we took 14 mounted tires to the event.

Friday

It was wet and nasty travel weather. I think 2 inches of rain dropped in the area. Driving in for everybody had to be a thrill. I know going through Columbia around quitting time was a real thrill for me with the car trailer. Speaking of car trailers and diesel tow vehicles - I think gas stations ought to realize a lot diesel vehicles will be towing a trailer and set the "non-semi" diesel pump were you can get to it with a dang trailer! I have learned the "good ones" on the way to all my local tracks - but it can be a challenge.

Check in, tech and registration was a piece of cake due to all the hard work of the volunteers. Dropping off the trailers at the track was also well handled by Mickey and Sylvia. The mandatory Friday meetings were also pretty painless and were helped by the presence of pizza...the drink machines did get a pretty good workout since there was not a readily available source of refreshments (other than the BPKM cooler - which we raided when he was distracted by his pit babes). It was great to see the southeast "regulars" and the out of towners (Yankees) we do not get to see often enough. Phoenix Performance even provided us some name stickers and a few Phoenix stickers for our cars. I hope they add as much speed as the SeatTime and BPKM stickers have to my cars.

Friday night at the track was rocking and I mean that literally. The storm was blowing very hard and dumping rain in sheets. I woke up around midnight and the trailer was rocking around, the rivets were popping, the sheetmetal was "oil canning", Jake was awake, Josh was awake, and it seemed imminent that the trailer was going to roll over. The wind was an easy 40 mph steady and gusts to 60 mph. It felt and sounded like a C-130 being hammered by turbulence in a severe North Atlantic storm. I did the only thing possible. I got up, put in my ear plugs and went back to sleep - if it rolled I wanted it to be relaxed when I hit the roof or side of the trailer.

Saturday

The rain had stopped, the wind was still pretty healthy, the wind had dried the paddock out fairly well and the sound of horsepower was rumbling into the track. There were Corvettes of every color all over the place. C5s seemed to be the biggest percentage with C6s a close second. There were a sprinkling of C4s to keep everybody honest.

Once again the meetings were fairly painless as those things go and we were able to hit a wet track at 0900. At 0904 we brought in the FRC with the Sumitomo tires. The tires did not even come close to turning in. I thought we were going to groove the pavement with the wheels it was plowing so badly. We then hopped in the ZO6 with KuNit's and hit it again. At that point the tires had enough life to have a good time in the wet. After the session the pit crew changed the KuNit's over to the FRC and put the GoHo's on the ZO6.

My students were, once again, great. I was lucky enough to get Art from last year (a money guy who controls at least half the non-Mob money in NYC - at least I think it is non-Mob money) in his new C6 - lets not talk about my last ride in his old C5. He has been to Spring Mountain, Sportscar Driving school at Roebling and Putnam since the last time we rode together. He has paid attention to the details, drove his car masterfully and really did great at CMP. Monique was my other student - a 6th grade Social Studies teacher from Little Rock, AR - who brought her '02 ZO6 to her first event. She bought the car new and is a die hard performance car nut. We got along great! She had great feel for the car, trusted me when I said hit it, and came around to firm braking action. By the end of the weekend she was lapping everyone in her group and was having a blast. Jake had the NCM Guy himself as a student (I love his green C5) and a really nice guy in a ZO6 (we even fed him some lunch on Sunday to get his vote).

Some local Corvette friends of mine made it to the track - even though there was a forecast of rain! Jake and I offered up some track rides once they signed all the waivers. Derek took me up first in the Red group. He did not say much - but I think he had a good time. We were zipping by quite few cars on track and running with the T1 boys - I know it was because they were running crappy tires also - but he didn't. It was great - I particularly liked going through the dust cloud at the kink - reminded me of Silverstone in the haze. Jack then hopped in with me and Dennis hopped in with Jake. Let me post a disclaimer here - what happens when Jake and I are on the track at the same time does not normally occur. There is some rivalry here at the base level. Needless to say, Jack saw what heat soaked GoHo's could do as we chased down Jake. We got into a tank slapper entering the carousel, recovered and was able to take him on the straight before T8. Getting past Jake is like grabbing a wildcat - what do you do next! So we proceeded to run the pack to try to get distance between us. At some point Jake overcooked his KuNit's and met the dragon teeth rumble strips at T14. Did I mention there is video of me passing Jake and him spinning? Later when we swapped cars it was all I could do to keep Jake in sight - passing was not even an option - so him even staying with the ZO6 gives him the nod in car management. Put us both on fresh tires, fresh brakes, a neutral track and we will see how it goes then...

Other than a little miscommunication about the dinner arrangements - my pit crew was getting bounced at the door. Luckily, Tim kicked in his spot since he did not make it to the dinner. There needs to be a better system so the instructors know the rules. The best news was the speech was very short....

Sunday

It started out clear, cold and sunny. After the mandatory meetings first thing we rolled out onto a cold track. It was pretty much a repeat of Sunday with cars leaving as the day rolled on. Either due to maintenance issues, fun meters being pegged out, or travel distances ahead of them. Jake and I did take out a new ZO6 from GM. We had a full lap when the red flag was thrown for Glenn's car blowing out his dipstick and smoking quite nicely. When we got back out we were able to wring it out a little. It took a while to figure out how to turn the dang AH/TC off, the tires were dead when I got in the car, and the "feel and feedback" compared to a C5 ZO6 is lacking. Having said that I was able to chase down Falcon, Mark and few others and pass them with the new Z with a car with a real undesteer problem. I am proof the car can make any driver look good - but you can get over your head very, very fast. The car is a like a turbo 911 - zero to stupid in nothing flat. The fact that I burned a quarter tank of gas and supposedly "destroyed" the tires (13,000 miles on them when I got in the car) had nothing to do with them stopping the ride program so the could "get back to Michigan". Honest.

Kim made it out to check out all the Corvettes all the way from Myrtle Beach. I am converting him from a '04 Cobra to a C5 ZO6 and he wanted to check more of them out.

Overall
* Great event
* Tom throws a great party
* I saw lines I have never, ever seen at CMP before
* I got my student black flagged in honor of Julie
* I might have done better in school if my teachers were motorheads
* 12 tires retired
* Front right rotor cracked on the FRC
* Left rear rotor cracked on the ZO6
* Cool tow vehicle award goes to Glen
* Less than three weeks to Roebling
* Great friends, good fun
* Have to catch a plane...

Last edited by varkwso; 10-31-2006 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

So are Jody and Maserati Rob proud owners of new Z06s now?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

At some point Jake overcooked his KuNit's and met the dragon teeth rumble strips at T14.
Hum............so Jake and Julie have something in common!
Nice write up as always, we missed fun I know
Old 10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the "Write-up", Jeff !!!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:05 AM
MOOELLA
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Jeff!!!
Love your write up as usual....I look forward to them after you attend any event.

Thanks for doing something in my 'honor'!!! You must do well with women students!! (You are very patient!)

Our plan is to be at VIR in June.....teach me more??? I mean, I guess I could try another instructor.....but I'd rather have you!!!!

Julie!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:24 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,

Nice writeup, great to see you! my drive down blew, trash bags on the windows and lots of rain. Saturday morning my car seemed to work well in the wet early session in spite of being on old 710's, just gotta steer it! I was in Red group too, wish we could have played tag a bit nobody seemed to be around me. I started out with the Mayor but he must be getting soft in his old age! The kink seems to be the big "reach down" area! Great safe weekend for everyone, I was able to step the game of 2 students to a level they never knew they could go to, I had a great time seeing you guys, it was a refreshing break from the nose to the ground season. I don't want to miss any runnings of this now!

Joe Gaudette
Old 10-30-2006, 05:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BLONDE C5

Our plan is to be at VIR in June.....teach me more??? I mean, I guess I could try another instructor.....but I'd rather have you!!!!

Julie!
THAT can be arranged.

June 14-15, 2007 Registration opens in January ???
Old 10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

OK, now that I am home, have had something to eat, and have taken my afternoon siesta I will attempt to put my thoughts and observations about and of this magnificent experience here coherently. (No adult beverages yet)

First and foremost, THANK YOU NCM staff and Tom Bohlman for what you do!!! I truly understand now how much work goes into these things behind the scenes. Putting one of these on is a year long process and sometimes takes the patience of a saint.

Second, I would like to thank the instrctors one and all for volunteering their time to get into a car with us and try to pass on their expertise. You guys that are new, think about this for a minute. They are getting into a car with someone they just met and with little to no control running around a race track sometimes at over 100 MPH. That takes cajones. My biggest thanks in this department of course goes to Jody (Falcon) I truly learned how to rotate the car with the accelerator (sometimes a bit much but it was fun) and the proper line around that track.

A Special thanks to Mike (Short Throw) for letting alot of us use his tools and facilities for making adjustment and repairs. THis man is one person worth going up to and just shaking his hand and saying HI.

Some random observations. I also learned that as you progress in this endeavor your gear and equipment needs to progress with you. No you don't need more HP right away. You have plenty. You need better brakes. Better tires. Better suspension. Then maybe HP. The biggest thing you need is SEAT TIME.

I did this last year in a C4 with base suspension and 235 HP stock brakes. Because of the lack of HP I was able to handle it pretty well. The C5 is an entirely different animal. Handles differently and alot mor power. I have had to learn to drive all over again.

I really missed seeing Jack's 1984 Crossfire out there. I am glad that his wife let him use her car though. Jack, did you make home ok and in time to do the dishes?

Do not let anyone ever tell you the wind has no affect on these cars. Comin out of T9 and going to 4th gear I put the clutch in and the car slow dramatically just from the wind. Of course we were having 40 mph gusts.

Julie has been Black Flagged!!! I was told that all weekend. They missed you JJ. Hmmm...they didn't miss Steve?

I too had a run in with the Dragon Teeth coming out of T14. Those will compress your spine. Although my fastest tmph through the kink was somewhere between 95 & 100 mph. Jody was trying to see and I was too busy holding on and trying not to go in the grass to look.

This is way too much fun! I am already making my plans for VIR and what ever else I can get in.

Jeff, it was a pleasure to get to meet you and chat for a while. Jake really has a handle on this place. Nice writeup.

Mark, wanna show me that driftin' thing?

I had as much fun walking around socializing as I did on the track and I have all of you to thank for that. I have never felt anything like I do at these events. It is what makes owning the greatest American sports car great (as well as going 115 down the back straight)

If I forgot something, please smack me in the head next time you see me and remind me.

Bob

Last edited by Kanmer; 10-30-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

As a novice driver, I learned a lot this weekend:
1. The 4-3-2-1 markers do not indicate the gear you should be in.
2. The Green-Yellow-Blue groups do not segregate run sessions by car color.
3. That hand taped protective stuff on the front and around some of the cars is now produced in sizes Big Honker 36 D, DD and DDD by a joint venture of Home Depot, Callaway and Victoria’s Secret.
4. It was a dirty trick to tell Eric this was Miata Weekend at CMP.
5. NCM plans to raise money from a charity run to benefit the Widow of the Unknown Soldier.
6. I was told the car was a beast so I thought the model designation was pronounced “Zoo 6”. Honest mistake I think.
7. I was so bad my instructor told me the best chance of improving was to change my name to Bubba, move into a trailer with a huge satellite dish on the front lawn and watch the Speed channel.
8. With all the Northeners taking up driving events, pretty soon Michelin Pilot tires will be available in whitewalls.
9. Fire hydrants are not apex markers.
10. Tire life is measured in weekends, not miles.
11. Q: If Jody, Jeff and Tom are in the same car, who is driving?
A: The arresting officer.

Great event, still grinnin' and thanks to all who made the event possible.
Art
Old 10-30-2006, 07:01 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kanmer
OK, now that I am home, have had something to eat, and have taken my afternoon siesta I will attempt to put my thoughts and observations about and of this magnificent experience here coherently. (No adult beverages yet)

First and foremost, THANK YOU NCM staff and Tom Bohlman for what you do!!! I truly understand now how much work goes into these things behind the scenes. Putting one of these on is a year long process and sometimes takes the patience of a saint.

Second, I would like to thank the instrctors one and all for volunteering their time to get into a car with us and try to pass on their expertise. You guys that are new, think about this for a minute. They are getting into a car with someone they just met and with little to no control running around a race track sometimes at over 100 MPH. That takes cajones. My biggest thanks in this department of course goes to Jody (Falcon) I truly learned how to rotate the car with the accelerator (sometimes a bit much but it was fun) and the proper line around that track.

A Special thanks to Mike (Short Throw) for letting alot of us use his tools and facilities for making adjustment and repairs. THis man is one person worth going u and just shaking his hand and saying HI.

Some random observations. I also learned that as you progress in this endeavor your gear and equipment needs to progress with you. No you don't need more HP right away. You have plenty. You need better brakes. Better tires. Better suspension. Then maybe HP. The biggest thing you need is SEAT TIME.

I did this last year in a C4 with base suspension and 235 HP stock brakes. Because of the lack of HP I was able to handle it pretty well. The C5 is an entirely different animal. Handles differently and alot mor power. I have had to learn to drive all over again.

I really missed seeing Jack's 1984 Crossfire out there. I am glad that his wife let him use her car though. Jack, did you make home ok and in time to do the dishes?

Do not let anyone ever tell you the wind has no affect on these cars. Comin out of T9 and going to 4th gear I put the clutch in and the car slow dramatically just from the wind. Of course we were having 40 mph gusts.

Julie has been Black Flagged!!! I was told that all weekend. They missed you JJ. Hmmm...they didn't miss Steve?

I too had a run in with the Dragon Teeth coming out of T14. Those will compress your spine. Although my fastest tmph through the kink was somewhere between 95 & 100 mph. Jody was trying to see and I was too busy holding on and trying not to go in the grass to look.

This is way too much fun! I am already making my plans for VIR and what ever else I can get in.

Jeff, it was a pleasure to get to meet you and chat for a while. Jake really has a handle on this place. Nice writeup.

Mark, wanna show me that driftin' thing?

I had as much fun walking around socializing as I did on the track and I have all of you to thank for that. I have never felt anything like I do at these events. It is what makes owning the greatest American sports car great (as well as going 115 down the back straight)

If I forgot something, please smack me in the head next time you see me and remind me.

Bob
Great comments, thanks to all who worked on the event and all the experienced drivers who took time to help the "newbies". Bob, you are ready to solo and take Max out!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
As a novice driver, I learned a lot this weekend:
1. The 4-3-2-1 markers do not indicate the gear you should be in.
2. The Green-Yellow-Blue groups do not segregate run sessions by car color.
3. That hand taped protective stuff on the front and around some of the cars is now produced in sizes Big Honker 36 D, DD and DDD by a joint venture of Home Depot, Callaway and Victoria’s Secret.
4. It was a dirty trick to tell Eric this was Miata Weekend at CMP.
5. NCM plans to raise money from a charity run to benefit the Widow of the Unknown Soldier.
6. I was told the car was a beast so I thought the model designation was pronounced “Zoo 6”. Honest mistake I think.
7. I was so bad my instructor told me the best chance of improving was to change my name to Bubba, move into a trailer with a huge satellite dish on the front lawn and watch the Speed channel.
8. With all the Northeners taking up driving events, pretty soon Michelin Pilot tires will be available in whitewalls.
9. Fire hydrants are not apex markers.
10. Tire life is measured in weekends, not miles.
11. Q: If Jody, Jeff and Tom are in the same car, who is driving?
A: The arresting officer.

Art
And thanks for the great list of items all of my students will be required to learn from now on.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most may not realize that Tom did not have a chance to grab much seat time. That's a pretty big sacrifice at such a fun event. While the participants where off playing Tom was making sure everyone was safe and having fun.

Also hats off to ROC and ADAM for putting on a first class event.

A Special thanks to Mike (Short Throw) for letting alot of us use his tools and facilities for making adjustment and repairs. THis man is one person worth going u and just shaking his hand and saying HI.
Bob,

Thanks for the kind words. :o

It was great seeing you again. Maybe next event we'll hook up and I can help you push that C5 past the C6s!

Mike
Old 10-30-2006, 09:06 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
......It was a dirty trick to tell Eric this was Miata Weekend at CMP.

Great event, still grinnin' and thanks to all who made the event possible.
Art

From what I saw it seems telling Eric anything could be a chore

Originally Posted by sleeper02zo6
...... Jeff,

....I was in Red group too, wish we could have played tag a bit nobody seemed to be around me. I started out with the Mayor but he must be getting soft in his old age! The kink seems to be the big "reach down" area! Great safe weekend for everyone, I was able to step the game of 2 students to a level they never knew they could go to, I had a great time seeing you guys, it was a refreshing break from the nose to the ground season. I don't want to miss any runnings of this now!

Joe Gaudette
I did my best to get out on the track with most anybody - I had a blast looking at all those blue T1 bars as I passed the cars...I also had a few go by me like I was parked....

I never had an empty seat all weekend and actually had to turn a few people down....I ran the blue, red and Black groups to get as many "demo" rides as possible...made for some quick seat changes!

I will ride with you anytime!

Kanmer - Steve had a hard time staying on track long enough to get black flagged - Julie was pretty worried about getting black flagged - so I got her over her angst....

Julie - I will be happy to instruct you at VIR and it looks like I will get the chance. I like lady students - they have self confidence and can listen....

Tom did work his tail off all weekend and had almost no track time...

Tim - did you do any troubleshooting on the Z28 yet? Tim also saw a black flag for his drifting demos I think....

Adam got a big from his instructor and I know he worked hard to get it all set up and functioning. Roc had his hands full also....

I would like to get a new ZO6 that has fresh brakes and tires out on the track......Jake and I went by a lot of them this last weekend and they sure look good on the track...pretty soon I will need all the advantage I can get to stay ahead of my children on the track
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
MOOELLA
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
THAT can be arranged.

June 14-15, 2007 Registration opens in January ???
Woo hoo!

Thanks for the heads up...we'll keep an eye out for the registration e-mail! Really did miss being with y'all ......looking forward to seeing everyone again, and of course, learning more stuff!

JJ!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 PM
MOOELLA
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
Kanmer - Steve had a hard time staying on track long enough to get black flagged - Julie was pretty worried about getting black flagged - so I got her over her angst....

Thanks Jeff...I appreciate you looking out for me like that!! Yeah, Steve had a time getting heat in those big tires on his white car, but he did pretty good once I let him drive mine. At least he didn't get black flagged in that one!!!

Julie - I will be happy to instruct you at VIR and it looks like I will get the chance. I like lady students - they have self confidence and can listen....

Please pencil me in....

Julie!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:38 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE
At some point Jake overcooked his KuNit's and met the dragon teeth rumble strips at T14.
Hum............so Jake and Julie have something in common!
Nice write up as always, we missed fun I know
Steve - despite what some "others" may have indicated - you were both missed (and talked about ) at the event!

Jake and Julie have also had to deal with me in the right seat of the car....
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It was a great event. There were absolutly no egos at the track . .

Get notified of new replies

To BPKM does CMP in style...

Old 10-31-2006, 07:08 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
It was a great event. There were absolutly no egos at the track . .

When you are standing in the shadow of the Mayor and TimZO6 all other egos seem minor

Seriously - while there was lots of "smack talk" the track conduct was very, very good considering the experience levels and car power levels. The most underused item at the track in some sessions was the rear view mirror though!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

When you are standing in the shadow of the Mayor and TimZO6 all other egos seem minor

Only the shadow knows......

Old 10-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

...pretty soon I will need all the advantage I can get to stay ahead of my children on the track
I know that's true

Quick Reply: BPKM does CMP in style...