Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bra At Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:59 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bra At Track

I am going to Spring Mountain this weekend. Not really racing but it is a track.

When I get together with my buddies for canyon runs, etc I use a lightweight cloth bra which works very well and has seen speeds of 130.

Do ya think its acceptable for the "track" Should I still tape up the quarter panels?

The bra can be seen at (they call it a bumper guard) http://www.c5creations.com/c6.php

Many thanks
Old 11-02-2006, 06:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

tape up the rocker pannles and allong the wheel wells.

after the weekend take the bra off and clean. Sand and dirt tent to get under the bra and will scratch the paint in time.

Good Luck, Have fun and let us know how it goes

Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you are secure in your manhood, why not?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

When I see bra at DE events I think newbie or waxer... for some reason most people do not run them.

My thinking has always been: I can't see stone chips from 20 feet away, but I can see a bra coming from a couple of hundred feet. YMMV
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Use it. One main difference between running a bra on the road and on the track is that you'll be at higher speeds closer behind other cars than on the road. More stuff (sand, etc.) gets tossed at you than on the road, as well.

When you get ready to head home, pull it off and toss it in the back.

While bras may be temporary, rock chips last until the next paint job.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!
Mike
Old 11-02-2006, 07:01 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Use of a front end mask saves paint and a lot of clean-up after the event. WARNING!!! MAKE SURE THE BRAKE AIR DUCTS ARE NOT COVERED!!!! I mean not covered by anything. I did a shade tree air flow test using a box fan and my $500 hood bra. Using my had as a flow meter on the inside of the wheel well, the bra with it's mesh screen cut the air flow to the brakes by %60 to %70!

Word up!
MK
Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
tape up the rocker pannles and allong the wheel wells.

The bra is optional, unless you are an OCC client, then they are mandatory. Everyone knows Sean likes bras!

But seriously, my number one recommendation is the tape on the panels underneath the doors back to the rear wheels. The front tires can sometimes kick up gravel and fling it at those panels starting at about 1/2 way back. The problem manifests itself much less if you don't stick two tires off at the exits of turns and if you not running the softer stickier race rubber that picks it up more.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
When I see bra at DE events I think newbie or waxer... for some reason most people do not run them.
Hey!!! I resemble that remark

Yeah I only have 1 year of track time. And yeah I'm still a closet waxer. Some habits are hard to break... But my car is mainly a street car that will see 8-10 events a year. Why have it look like crap all year because a bra isn't cool. The heck with that. I have the GM Z06 bra, mirror bras, and I use shelf liner on the side of the car from wheel well to wheel well.

Like VetteDrmr said. On Sunday afternoon I pull the shelf liner off. When I get home I pull the bra off. Now the closet waxer in me has a lot less work to do. I don't consider paint chips as battle scars. I just think they suck...
Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho
The bra is optional, unless you are an OCC client, then they are mandatory. Everyone knows Sean likes bras!

But seriously, my number one recommendation is the tape on the panels underneath the doors back to the rear wheels. The front tires can sometimes kick up gravel and fling it at those panels starting at about 1/2 way back. The problem manifests itself much less if you don't stick two tires off at the exits of turns and if you not running the softer stickier race rubber that picks it up more.

Ok, I admit it, I live behind the Orange Curtain and am a client of OCC.

Olitho, ever use the shelf paper folks are talking about? I loaded some blue tape in the car tonight (after a FULL WAX AND POLISH DEATIL ) and am ready to go.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
Ok, I admit it, I live behind the Orange Curtain and am a client of OCC.

Olitho, ever use the shelf paper folks are talking about? I loaded some blue tape in the car tonight (after a FULL WAX AND POLISH DEATIL ) and am ready to go.
No, I just use the blue tape along the bottom. That works well.....

Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bra works, plain and simple. I've been running with one for four
years and the front isn't too bad. The mirrors on the other hand I don't
cover and it is a good lesson in why the bra is a good deal, I've got
several chips on both sides. The rocker panels under the doors, well
I'm getting too old to worry about places I can't see. Tape behind
the wheels is probably helping when I remember to get it on. Sooner
or later the car is going to have a different home and might as well
do what I can for the future ...
Randy
Old 11-04-2006, 12:15 AM
bsim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a debris is big enough to chip paint, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that same rock to go through 3M blue masking tape? It's not like it does much other than keep the rubber boogers from having to be rubbed off.

I say bra or bare.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I use to find lots of track rubber turds in my brake ducts, untill I put the screens in.

Now I find track turds in all kinds of places I have no Idea how they got in there.

ALso 3M trim adhesive remover is great to remove rubber streaks from the paint
Old 11-04-2006, 09:44 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by bsim
If a debris is big enough to chip paint, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that same rock to go through 3M blue masking tape?.
Not really, the tape absorbs a lot of energy from the debris as it impacts. Even if the tape is completely penetrated, the damage will be minimized.

With that said, I always run with a Holgan bra and mirror covers on. Looks dopey, but my paint looks pretty good for 145K+ miles.

Rocker panels are a different story, though.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

BRA ON !!!!

I have head light covers too which are not on in my sig.

DH
Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I use to find lots of track rubber turds in my brake ducts, untill I put the screens in.

Now I find track turds in all kinds of places I have no Idea how they got in there.

ALso 3M trim adhesive remover is great to remove rubber streaks from the paint

That is WAY GOOD ADVICE.

I taped my car up like a continental soldier after a 4 day battle and WOW, streaks of rubber, oil, and all kinds of gunk any where and everwhere imaginable.

Even when I pulled the tape off, rocks and debris fell out from BEHIND the tape.

Amazing.

Still, she was the prettiest girl at the dance and we will be waltzing back soon at Willow Springs in December.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Mr. LAPI:

You drove great even with the bra on. Did you find that your bra inhibited your steering at all in the tighter sections of the track?

You were going pretty fast so you must not be one of those 3 out 4 who is wearing the wrong size bra. Sean at OCC is good at fitting those things. He has a lot of personal experience.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
That is WAY GOOD ADVICE.

I taped my car up like a continental soldier after a 4 day battle and WOW, streaks of rubber, oil, and all kinds of gunk any where and everwhere imaginable.

Even when I pulled the tape off, rocks and debris fell out from BEHIND the tape.

Amazing.

Still, she was the prettiest girl at the dance and we will be waltzing back soon at Willow Springs in December.
Well I just got half my car repainted from my BW mishap

And I will be at WSIR in December also. You are talking about ACRA on wednesday???? See you there

DH
Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho
Mr. LAPI:

You drove great even with the bra on. Did you find that your bra inhibited your steering at all in the tighter sections of the track?

You were going pretty fast so you must not be one of those 3 out 4 who is wearing the wrong size bra. Sean at OCC is good at fitting those things. He has a lot of personal experience.

HAHAHHAHA

Take a close look at my avatar, youll see the bra sucking in at high speeds. It is a "sheer" bra without support, from a forum vendor. It lifts, seperates and provides 8 hours of comfort.

It is rumored that Sean has an underwire version in a black ops development session, but whos to know??

BTW, I thought John was the "nip and tuck" expert?

Get notified of new replies

To Bra At Track

Quick Reply: Bra At Track