Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Silver SS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question?

For my 2001 Z06 what temps will my trans and engin oil get up to on road america in wisconsin? And also what is the highest "safe" temp that i should let it go up to?

thanks

Scott
Old 11-03-2006, 11:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends on the time of the year. If your going up there NOW, oil temps might get all the up to 230-240, if your luck. Mid summer, oil temps could get up to and more then 300 if your not carefull.

250-260 tends to be the magic temp to back off for either the oil or trans temps.

Good Luck and have fun
Old 11-03-2006, 12:59 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the GM guys (including John Heinricy), they're run their oil temps to 330+ without any issues. When it gets to 340 though, you'll have trouble. I've personally run conventional oils to 300 with no problems and run my Z06 (and 2 others) to 310+ with the synthetics and had no issues.

I think the "high trans temp" warning comes on at 275 or so. If you see that warning, it's best to back off it. I doubt you'll see it this time of year, but when it gets warmer, I'd invest in a good trans cooler...and oil cooler for that matter.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver SS
For my 2001 Z06 what temps will my trans and engin oil get up to on road america in wisconsin? And also what is the highest "safe" temp that i should let it go up to?

thanks

Scott
Scott: Engine oil and Trans oil temperatures while driving on the track (without coolers) will depend primarily on 1) how hard you are driving the car, and 2) the ambient temperature. Also the temperature at which an oil will not properly do its lubrication job will be different because of the oil's components, the viscosity of the oil (5W-30 vs. 20W-50), and the additives in the oil. So, there is not an accurate specific answer to your question.

My practice is to use one of the top quality synthetic lubricants for the engine, transmission and rear end. I also use a higher vis grade for the engine such as 15W-50 for the hot weather. I have seen engine oil temps as high as 315 with NO negative consequenses. (I wouldn't want to get the 5W-30 vis oil this hot). For the cooler fall/spring driving weather 10W-40 is probably OK for your engine, but keeping the engine oil temp below 300 will not give you any problems if you are using high quality synthetic/ higher vis oil. If you see the temps getting higher than you want, just back off on the power for a while and the temps will come down.

Keep your eyes up and on the track and other cars and don't be looking too much at the oil temps except maybe on the straights when your not busy with other cars or corners. Drive safely
Old 11-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I was at Road America a few weeks back with my '88, I ran as hard as I could. Coolant was at 185° and oil was at 225°. I would not run my trans. up very high, the oil temp. I would run higher.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:44 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I was at Road America a few weeks back with my '88, I ran as hard as I could. Coolant was at 185° and oil was at 225°. I would not run my trans. up very high, the oil temp. I would run higher.
My oil runs hotter than that on the drive to work... I saw 280+ at Thunderhill in the hot hot afternoon, though.

'06 Z51
Old 11-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Just driving normally my oil temp. stays about 5° warmer then the coolant temp.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Track day temp depend on how hard your running your car, the harder you push the higher the temps. One thing that helps at Road America is to upshift/shortshift at certian spots at the track to keep the engine temps down. If you are really pushing your car and not upshifting you will see 300-310 oil temps, and the high tranny temp will come on (meaning your over 272).

Now if you hit 5th gear down the front strait, 4 gear between turns 1 and 3, then use 4th between 7 and 8, run 4th through the carosel and the kink, you will do yourself and your car a favor. Typically then oil temps will stay around 290 and the high tranny temp won't come on, you may be a little faster by staying in a lower gear but unless you need every last second this will be just fine (it will also make the carosel and kink much easier and smoother.)

An oil cooler is a great idea if you are planning on tracking the car often. What event are you thinking of running?

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question?

Quick Reply: Quick question?