Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd US date for F1 race ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 2nd US date for F1 race ??

F1 principals say they intend to have a 2nd USA date mainly due
to the importance of the North American market to the companies.
Nice interview in detail about F1's future.

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...161106-01.html

MM = FIA President Max Mosley & BG= Burkhard Göschel,
Senior Adviser To The BMW Board And Chairman Of The GPMA.( Grand Prix Managment Assciation)

a few quotes:

We want to make the research work done in F1 not just cost-effective but also road relevant. That is to say, new developments in F1 should be those that are directly helpful to the car industry and in particular things which are relevant to perhaps the biggest single issue which confronts the car industry worldwide, namely the reduction of the output of CO2. That’s why in the shorter term we are looking at energy-recovery and re-use from braking. That will come in 2009. We will come out with a regulation before the end of this year. And then recovery and re-use of the excess heat or waste heat from the engines. We intend to have a regulation for that before 2010. Both those things are currently fundamental to road car research.

In the longer term we are looking at the possibility of a completely new F1 engine reflecting the industry tendency which is to have a downsized, turbo-charged engine. At the moment that is still a discussion point between us and the manufacturers. That very briefly is where we stand at the moment.
Here is a good one:
Q: What do you both feel will be a competitive budget for a team in F1 under the new regulations?

MM: What we feel would be reasonable would be an F1 team with not more than 200 employees and able to run at the front for a budget in the order of Euros 100m. That is the objective. Now I’m not saying we have yet done the things that allow that objective to be achieved but that is the objective.
Q. How important are F1 races in Europe?

MM: They’re important but there are still a disproportionate number of races in Europe.

Q: But we are running out of races in Europe year on year…

MM: Well this is the trend. If you look at the Olympic Games, for instance, over the last 100 years around 50% of them have been in Europe and that is a little bit out of balance and we are even worse. But we will get to the right balance between European and non-European races as markets development. Places like India, China, Russia, South America, Central America, they are all very important markets.

BG: There are some questions to solve. For European car manufacturers, for example, Europe and the US are the biggest markets. There might be very fast growth in China, but more or less these are mass production cars. But in India the growth is a lot slower than China.

The US is still the most important market in the world. It is an area where F1 still has some weaknesses. There might be an interest from the car manufacturers to improve the situation in the US.
Q: But the European promoters are ready to pay the money that Bernie is asking whereas in Bahrain and Malaysia, for instance, we have just 30,000 spectators and the government is paying for it. So is the future of F1 just to ask if there is a government that pays the money?

MM: There are two points here. In the existing arrangements with FOM we have a clause that FOM cannot propose a calendar which involves the cancellation of a traditional event without the consent of the FIA. So we have a safety net there. But I don’t doubt that when the manufacturers come to do their agreement they will ensure that part of their commercial interests in terms of the location of the races are taken into account. That will get resolved and as Burkhard said, America and Europe are the two biggest markets for them. So we would like to see another race in North America and probably not lose that many in Europe. The ultimate sacrifice may have to be made by the teams having 20 races. That is to be discussed.

Q: Given what Max has said do you feel it is important to have a race in Germany? In France? UK?

BG: Yes. In Germany, France, UK, Italy and a new market which is very strong is Spain. But we have to discuss it because there are a limited number of races. But Europe is still a very important issue for the car manufacturers. As is the US.
My take on some of this, is some of the far away F1 races are only getting 30,000 or so spectators and the Governments are paying the costs.

Manufactures are very interested in markets to sell cars. But specialty sports cars sales are mainly in parts of Europe and the US with Spain having the highest growth. Countries with the highest consumer markets and highest standard of living are markets for F1 and Sports GT racing.

China, India, South America and the former Russian republics are still makets for mass producted automobles, not specialty high end sports cars. Or at least not in quantity. There for the Manufactures invovlment would limit high end races, like F1 in these markets.

Formula One Managment would like a second Grax Prix in the US. The US is the highest consumer market for automobles. However, the US promotors will not pay Mr. Ecclestones price. A new way to work with US promotors and venues will need to be explored.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 11-26-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:19 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yea, and I wish they would go back to the Glen and Long Beach.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:24 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

They used to run 2 GP races per yr. in the US; 1976 thru 1982, and 1984.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:39 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Yea, and I wish they would go back to the Glen and Long Beach.
How about the Glen and Laguna Seca? Or Mosport and Laguna? I wonder which tracks actually have enough safe runoff...
Old 11-26-2006, 02:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
How about the Glen and Laguna Seca? Or Mosport and Laguna? I wonder which tracks actually have enough safe runoff...
I am sure they are looking at Markets and current faclities.

California would be a very good market. Doesn't Toyota now owning Laguna ??
Old 11-26-2006, 03:00 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Mosport would be a 2rd Canadian GP (good idea anyway). The Glen has all of the NASCAR required facilities, but what a hassle to get in and out of.
Same with Laguna. It's a logistical nightmare to get in and out of. That's what makes Indy so nice is the road infrastructure. Too bad that the roval isn't that exciting. If it weren't for the infield golf course, they might've been able to use some of the natural terrain for the infield.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Mosport would be a 2rd Canadian GP (good idea anyway). The Glen has all of the NASCAR required facilities, but what a hassle to get in and out of. Maybe some enterprising individual could offer a helo service in and out.
Yeah, but it's Mosport. :-) The Glen would be great to watch, too.

If NASCAR facilities are what it would take, Sears Point (er, Infinion) could fit the bill. Unfortunately, I think both Laguna and Sears have the potential to be very boring F1 races. Not that many are exciting these days, but you know what I mean.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Usgp

I raced in a vintage support race at the USGP at Dallas, Texas in July 1984. More than 300,000 people attended over 3 days. The race was held on a street course in the State Fairgrounds. The weather was some of the hottest ever measured for a F1 race (above 104 degrees) and Nigel Mansel passed out cold while trying to push his Lotus across the finish line. However, with 300,000 attendees, the race was a commercial flop. The F1 race at Las Vegas never attracted more than a few thousand diehard fans. It was also a commercial flop. Bernie Ecclestone wants too much money for his product. American viewers just don't care! My wife and I attended every F1 race at Watkins Glen in the 70s. The racing was amazing. We walked around in the pits and spoke with all the F1 drivers, and team principals and personalities of their time. However, most remember only the "BOG", and the burning of the Brazilian fan's bus with all their luggage.
I would vote for the Glen first, and Road America (Elkhart Lake) second. However, that will never happen. It's all about "Market" and "Money".
Old 11-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Karl_in_Chicago
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I would vote for the Glen first, and Road America (Elkhart Lake) second. However, that will never happen. It's all about "Market" and "Money".
I can't see it ever being at RA, just from a logistics standpoint. Where would the teams stay, not to mention all the 'beautiful people'? I love RA and think it would be a great track to see F1 cars compete on, but the location and proximity to lodging/etc seem to make it a non-starter. Shame cuz F1 at Indy is a snooze-fest.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Mosport would be a 2rd Canadian GP (good idea anyway). The Glen has all of the NASCAR required facilities, but what a hassle to get in and out of. Maybe some enterprising individual could offer a helo service in and out.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

"Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca" is the official name these days.
I don't care what they call it. It always has been and always will be Laguna Seca to me. Same with Sears Point. I'll never call it Infineon Raceway.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:58 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
California would be a very good market. Doesn't Toyota now owning Laguna ??
"Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca" is the official name these days.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
My wife and I attended every F1 race at Watkins Glen in the 70s. The racing was amazing. We walked around in the pits and spoke with all the F1 drivers, and team principals and personalities of their time.
63Corvette - You are my hero.
I'd have given my left one to speak with some of the drivers from the 70s - and the 80s. Sadly Clark (1968) was already gone.

Best Venue for success, in the USA, is probably a Vegas street race. Brings in the high rollers and the Glitz and Glam. It will make the pages of "People" mag and that is neccessary. It's the way Bernie built it in the 1980's - made it glamorous.
My .02

....any existing track would have to be upgraded to FIA standards. Rules out most according to Bernie and Chris Pook.

Last edited by Bink; 11-26-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM
bryanZ06
Safety Car

Isn't Barber already bulit to FIA specs? Plus it's not too far from Atlanta which would be good for me.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Since they reconfigured Laguna Seca for MotoGP, the track probably meets all or most of the FIA requirements for a GP. HOWEVER, for those of you who have not been there in a while, traffic is impossible unless you helicopter in. The roads are all two lane, and parking lots most of every day....even without a race. Traffic flow is in the front gate, and out the back gate aftera a race. This puts you MILES from anywhere after a race, and no directions other than follow the leader to get home.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Pursuit_in_Progress
Instructor

I think Road America would be a great F1 venue. Definately force some tough choices on the amount of wing to use.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Phoenix in June

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd US date for F1 race ??

Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Streetrace in Miami, now your talking beautiful people
Don't know how well that would set with ISC having Homestead empty that weekend.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pursuit_in_Progress
I think Road America would be a great F1 venue. Definately force some tough choices on the amount of wing to use.
I'd die a happy man if I could see an F1 race at Road America in my lifetime. I don't think it will happen though because they'd have to spend too much money getting it updated to FIA standards.

I'm not much for street courses, but I'd love to see F1 at Long Beach again. I'd rather watch a Long Beach race any day over the roval at IMS.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I'm not much for street courses, but I'd love to see F1 at Long Beach again. I'd rather watch a Long Beach race any day over the roval at IMS.
I think Chris Pook is still the organizer at long beach. He and Bernie didn't see eye to eye ............er...wallet and pocket to hand.

Quick Reply: 2nd US date for F1 race ??