Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Vette go BOOM (Texas)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 PM
kraemer007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Vette go BOOM (Texas)

A C6 Z06 went kaboom at Texas World Speedway today. This Makes 12 Vettes that have blown up there in the past 90 days. This seems statistically improbable. Are any of you guys owners of the cars that have gone boom at the track events there? I sure am curious as to what the different failures have been....
Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

I skipped that event because running CW the G's pulled in 3 to 2 to 1 is too much (IMHO) without a road racing pan or Accusump. I made a post about this a week ago. Now maybe this one was not oil starvation related but I'm not taking a chance. I'll run the next event when we run CCW. The G's are way less running CCW.

Jerry
Old 12-09-2006, 07:05 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RedHotBolt
I skipped that event because running CW the G's pulled in 3 to 2 to 1 is too much (IMHO) without a road racing pan or Accusump. I made a post about this a week ago. Now maybe this one was not oil starvation related but I'm not taking a chance. I'll run the next event when we run CCW. The G's are way less running CCW.

Jerry
Not likley, C6Z's have a dry sump system. Accusumps are not necessary nor wanted on a dry sump engine, that is what the 8 quart tank does. I have 13K miles on mine and many many track days on mine, no issues.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:26 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Not likley, C6Z's have a dry sump system. Accusumps are not necessary nor wanted on a dry sump engine, that is what the 8 quart tank does. I have 13K miles on mine and many many track days on mine, no issues.

Your right. I forgotabout the fry sump. But since I don't have a dry sump in the C6 I still worry about TWS going CW.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kraemer007
A C6 Z06 went kaboom at Texas World Speedway today. This Makes 12 Vettes that have blown up there in the past 90 days. This seems statistically improbable. Are any of you guys owners of the cars that have gone boom at the track events there? I sure am curious as to what the different failures have been....
Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The oiling problems with LS1's are in left hand sweepers. The big, fast sweeping turn when going CW is a right hander. I have run my LS1 stock Firebird clockwise several times with no problems. I add 1 extra qt of oil, and go at it.

Besides, CW is WAY more fun that CCW. Turn 7 is AWESOME doing down hill and being able to see the exit of the turn.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 PM
kraemer007
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedHotBolt
Jerry
Jerry, I missed that other thread. Do the C6's (including Z51) have an oil starvation issue with sustained G loads?

P.S. I like CCW at TWS more than CW.

Last edited by kraemer007; 12-09-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:40 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at TWS this weekend. I think it was three corvettes that went dead. A red one (with 427), a yellow C6, and a black C6 Z06. The fact that they are all different models and years AND engines makes me think that it's just bad luck. There are quite a few running fine. I'm running a half quart high in my C5 Z, and having no pressure issues in the big right sweeper.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:07 PM
kraemer007
Advanced

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I'm at TWS this weekend. I think it was three corvettes that went dead. A red one (with 427), a yellow C6, and a black C6 Z06. The fact that they are all different models and years AND engines makes me think that it's just bad luck. There are quite a few running fine. I'm running a half quart high in my C5 Z, and having no pressure issues in the big right sweeper.
WOW, that makes 14 now. I hadnt heard about the other 2 cars.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:51 AM
The Outkast
Intermediate

The red one is mine. Timing chain jumped, will have it ripped apart come monday to find out the full damage. I know who owns the yellow C6 but I wasnt aware of a C6Z breaking?????
Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Severl of the C5 (LS1&6 ) and C6 ( LS2) have lost the #7 cylinder. Most likely do to oil starvation.

Some of the EARLY C6s and C6z crapped out do to harmonic balancer problems which was fixed and early LS7s dropping valves, which was also fixed before release to the public.

We have many choices to do many differnt tracks, rovals with high G corners my sound like fun, but oil starvation is strong possibilty when there is no sump systmes.

Also on rovals rember NASCAR cars have tire inner liners in case of a flat. Our tires dont. Out side walls can come up very fast with a flat tire and no inner liner.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-10-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Xtreme5053
Instructor

Well, I'll be out there the 16th....hopefully mine will hold together....putting the LS7 clutch and flushing the clutch fluid....maybe I can actually shift into gear after the front straight this time....
Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by kraemer007
Jerry, I missed that other thread. Do the C6's (including Z51) have an oil starvation issue with sustained G loads?

P.S. I like CCW at TWS more than CW.
I don't know about C6's starving for oil at TWS but my sons Mach One did at the last event where we ran CW. I just worry about it because you pull so many more g's than when running CCW.

Jerry
Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
RyanZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xtreme5053
Well, I'll be out there the 16th....hopefully mine will hold together....putting the LS7 clutch and flushing the clutch fluid....maybe I can actually shift into gear after the front straight this time....
I'll be there too, I'll look for you adn say hi
Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
RyanZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

LOL -

This thread is FULL of mis-information.

There were indeed 3 vettes that went "boom" this weekend..

One being the vette i was driving.. 99FRC.. NOT a 427 .. The timing chain (roll master double roller) let go on it.

The yellow C6 (NOT A Z06) caught fire due to an oil cooler line problem, it was quickly fixed, and no real damage occured.

The other was a C6 Z06.. I dont know the specifics.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:17 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanZ06
LOL -

This thread is FULL of mis-information.

There were indeed 3 vettes that went "boom" this weekend..

One being the vette i was driving.. 99FRC.. NOT a 427 .. The timing chain (roll master double roller) let go on it.

The yellow C6 (NOT A Z06) caught fire due to an oil cooler line problem, it was quickly fixed, and no real damage occured.

The other was a C6 Z06.. I dont know the specifics.
Ah, my bad. I'm sorry for the bad info. I was pretty sure Taz's was a Z, but it now I think on it, perhaps not. Too bad about the timing chain. I'm about to replace mine, in fact. The C6 Z06 was ForHamilton's (forum name). I know that's right because I helped push it onto the trailer
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme5053
You know, Chris, to be on the safe side, you should just let me drive the Z06

Get notified of new replies

To Another Vette go BOOM (Texas)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Presidente
Intermediate

hey i met a few of ya'll today at the track I didnt get to talk to many of ya'll but i met someone with an Orange vette pulling into a trailer I was in the white c6 that just barely was broken into.. I'm glad to hear that its not a common problem in c6's to blow up

btw how many people live in the south side of houston cuz i'm interested in getting an exhaust and would like to hear how they sound
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Presidente
hey i met a few of ya'll today at the track I didnt get to talk to many of ya'll but i met someone with an Orange vette pulling into a trailer I was in the white c6 that just barely was broken into.. I'm glad to hear that its not a common problem in c6's to blow up

btw how many people live in the south side of houston cuz i'm interested in getting an exhaust and would like to hear how they sound
Hi Victor, great seeing you out there today! You have a beautiful car, a good friend of mine in Austin has a white with black interior. Remind me of his!

Thanks for listening. I haven't had any problems with my car all year. I contribute this to putting in a mild cam, headers and intake-manifold. Overall I added 100hp to the car and brings a nice sound. I also run redline straight 40w oil without any issues. I've left it in for two months total. I watch my oil pressure, but haven't seen any problems with mine since I've been driving out there - that was the case way back in Jan of this year when I came out with Lou Gigliotti's advanced racing school with viper days racing!

Look forward to seeing you at the drivers edge's other events at places Like Cresson Motorsport's ranch, Texas Motorspeedway, Eagles Canyon and the Drivers Edge home track Racer's Ranch (slated to open in Q3CY06).

Again, good to meet you and feel free to post here for advice on Mod's - ForHamilton will suggest brakes, tires, and suspension before we suggest adding more power!! Pretty much in that order!

Cheers

JK
Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Presidente
Intermediate

do you only go to DE events or any other events? just curious and it was great meeting you too btw!

Quick Reply: Another Vette go BOOM (Texas)